Author Topic: How Does Rank Scoring Work????  (Read 4823 times)

Offline Annie Dote

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How Does Rank Scoring Work????
« on: June 12, 2009, 07:25:31 AM »
I am a new shooter (only 3 matches under my belt) and I am having trouble understanding the scoring.  Even though I have been last at the matches (total time) my scores have gotten better each time.  My question is, even though I was last I saw others that for one reason or another did not finish a stage and got scored 999.99 for that stage. They were higher in the ranking than I was and my total time was no where near 999.  What gives with that?

Offline J.D. Goodguy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: How Does Rank Scoring Work????
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 07:42:50 AM »
 :o Welcome Annie!  Rank scoring has caused a lot of people to not shoot when rank scoring is used.  It's bad when someone is disqualified on a stage and still beats someone with a better time.  Rank scoring assign points to each shooter on each stage depending on your time.  So if someone has much better times on most stages than you do, they can completely botch a stage and still beat yu.  I personally do not like rank scoring but it is set up for the faster shooters so that they can have a really bad stage and still be competitive.  I think total time is the best but SASS wants rank scoring in all their main matches.  Hope this helps.  JD Goodguy

Offline Whiskey Hayes

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 12:50:35 PM »
Annie

Even with total time scoring a good shooter with a SDQ stage can and will beat middle of pack and lower shooters.  With total time scoring for a 24 target stage DQ a shooter will have a time of 150 seconds for the stage.  This is determined by targets x miss penalty + 30 seconds (24/targets x 5/sec) + 30/sec = 150/sec.

A rank scored match will add points per stage which is max number of shooters in the match, 50/shooters = 50 points added, 100/shooters = 100 points added.  This variability per match seems to be the issue with rank scoring.

With no SDQ I haven't seen rank scoring move a shooter very many places above a faster shooter usually one place.  Even total time in a big match, 150 seconds on a stage will move you a long way down when your a middle of pack shooter in the 30 to 40 second per stage range (lot of shooters in this time range), but a top 10 to 20 shooter with stage DQ will still beat a lot of people in a big match using total time.  So what you've experienced will happen regardless of scoring method used.

Best advice is to hit all targets as fast as you can with no penalties and don't sweat the scoring method.  This is way I feel about the different scoring methods to some seems to be an issue.

Whiskey Hayes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:26:46 AM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »
I personally do not like rank scoring but it is set up for the faster shooters so that they can have a really bad stage and still be competitive. 

Actually a lot of that depends upon the stage that the fast shooters screws up on.  If it's a fast stage and they screw up it will affect how they place much more.  If it's a slow stage it won't hurt as bad.

Rank scoring rewards consistency and most of the time you won't see any difference in the outcome if you apply both scoring methods.  However sometimes the person who won the match using rank scoring is not the total time winner and sometimes it works the other way.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Annie Dote

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
OK.. you've helped clarify it a little bit.  I am in it for the fun and as long as I improve everytime out than I am happy.  I am shooting at least two clean stages every time and I'm now aiming to shot under 60 sec. per stage.  So far i have come very close but as they say... close only counts in horse shoe's :D.  thanks for the replies.

Offline L.G.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »
...and hand grenades and thermonuclear wepons....you only have to be close with an A-bomb to make a big mess!
SASS #48097
NRA #2008175
Gateway Shootist Society
Member of The Torque and Recoil Club
WartHog
B.O.S.S. #19
RATS #130
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Slingshot383

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 03:20:20 PM »
AAND!        Dancing. ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 10:21:54 PM »