Author Topic: Lets do some looking at outfits  (Read 206691 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Lets do some looking at outfits
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »
The photographer's name is David Rambow.

Books O'Toole may have his contact information, or be able to tell us if he'll be at the Convention in March.

I appreciate the thought everyone has put into their wardrobe choices.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2009, 10:38:48 AM »
I do have Dave Rambo's contact information, though not with me right now.  He works fo the NPS at Pipestone, MN.
It's a bit far for him to haul his stuff to KC for the convention.

However, last year we had Robert Szabo and he is outstanding.  He has a National Geographic cover to his credit.
I think there is about an 80% chance that he will be with us again this year.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2009, 10:55:20 AM »

I do love hats of all types. Being bald they serve a more practical purpose rather than just style.

RCJ

John I didn't know if I wanted to post this picture of you, but since you told us something, I decided to. ;)

I like the one's of you cleaning yer pistol on the porch of the Ft. Hartsuff barracks at the 2008 GAF Muster.  This one I really like because it looks like yer gonna ambush someone comin' out the door.

The sepia:

The B&W:

I like the fact that the #10 can they have for a butt can is painted army blue.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 04:36:18 AM »

mike highgate

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2009, 11:53:26 AM »
Thanks for the info on David Rambow, guys.

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »
2005, This is about as new as I get. Clothing is fairly new. The pants I made from an old Mexican pattern. Since then, the pants have taken on a sort of light brown cast, as has the breech clout. I've lengthened the breech clout in front to match the back.

The shirt bright red in this photo, came from River Junction Trading Co., has turned a dull red with being worn in the sun and repeated washings....I'll try to find a more current photo to show the contrast in how this outfit has aged.

The Ladies full length multi striped hose came from River Junction and were a favorite of Apache men. The Chiricahua Apache Moccasins I made.

The hair is mine.

Bill

Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2009, 02:47:25 PM »
OK, a few from Rock Creek Station in 2008 and the gun fights stuff from down there:

This picture came as a bit of a shock when I down-loaded it, have known Dave for about 8 yrears and didn't know he was bald.

To let you know that no one was really killed here, they still show up at meal time, none the worse for wear:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2009, 03:55:45 PM »
John I didn't know if I wanted to post this picture of you, but since you told us something, I decided to. ;)

This also shows when I want to protect my sleeves, or it's a warm day, I roll them up revealing my long-sleeved under clothing. I find that underclothing in the dog days of summer helps to keep me cool while in deep winter it adds another warm layer.  Our ancestors knew a thing or two. The natural fabric materials,- cotton, wool, linen and silk, breathe better than modern acrylic fabrics. Not to mention a mite safer around the campfire.

The hair is mine.

Bill

Just HAD to throw that in, didn't ya, Bill? ;) ;D

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2009, 05:06:36 PM »

The hair is mine.

Bill

Just HAD to throw that in, didn't ya, Bill? ;) ;D

Well I forgot to mention mine is mine also.  But we don't care John, baldness is PC also, they say Custer was going bald also. ;)

Nice explination also on the clothes John.  I'm going to dig, I know I have a couple more of you.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2009, 07:04:50 PM »
I've lengthened the breech clout in front to match the back.

Do you use a full clout, or more of a front-and-rear "apron"?

The Ladies full length multi striped hose came from River Junction and were a favorite of Apache men.

More about the hose, please.

[/quote]

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2009, 08:37:35 PM »
Daniel........

I use a full clout.......partial clouts and aprons (great lakes) didn't come about until  into the 20th century when we were catering to the tourist trade and didn't want to embarrass anybody, and until recently (the past 20 years) was something you would only see in movies........never a good source for correct information.

If you look at the photos from the movie stills I've posted here, I'm wearing the real thing naked butt and all. Doesn't bother me at all.

The multi colored hose as far as I can tell was something that only the Apache wore. You can see this in a lot of old photos of the Apache during the time period. I'm a stickler for authenticity and don't really care for the B-movie thing. research is the key word here.

If you are doing a Native American impression and are wearing leggings whether they be Deer Skin or Wool, they should be made to conform to the leg (at least from above the top of the knee down to the ankle) as tight as possible. They were made this way for a reason (care to guess why?).

Nowhere have I found a period photo of an Indian wearing leather pants.....of any kind. Pants were cloth and either traded for, late 19th century from the Whites (1880 or after the reservation period) or much earlier from the Mexicans & Spanish (southwestern Indians).

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2009, 01:06:14 AM »
I use a full clout.......

Good.  I forgot that you're NCOWS rather than SASS, so of course you would!

If you are doing a Native American impression...

I do one of those every day... :D :D

I'm actually trying to piece together an "outfit" that Daniel might have picked up in bits and pieces.  Mostly Lipan and Jicarilla Apache, with some Kiowa, Comanche (maybe a little Arapahoe) thrown in for good measure.  Daniel's meandering westward trek was across the Indian Territories, the Texas panhandle and some of the so-called Cimarron Strip (I think the official title was "Unassigned Lands"), into northern New Mexico.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »
Good.  I forgot that you're NCOWS rather than SASS, so of course you would!

I do one of those every day... :D :D

I'm actually trying to piece together an "outfit" that Daniel might have picked up in bits and pieces.  Mostly Lipan and Jicarilla Apache, with some Kiowa, Comanche (maybe a little Arapahoe) thrown in for good measure.  Daniel's meandering westward trek was across the Indian Territories, the Texas panhandle and some of the so-called Cimarron Strip (I think the official title was "Unassigned Lands"), into northern New Mexico.

Daniel......I belong to SASS too (#2434), I wear the same clothing to a SASS event that I do at NCOWS, no difference.

If you go to the NCOWS web site www.ncows.org go to the downloads page, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Originals Section. The Originals Class is a shooting class just like any other shooting class with a couple of exceptions.

You'll see there are several of us that have submitted our journals that show how we got where we are in the 19th Century Old West. My journal, as well as others, is over 30 pages long and makes for some interesting reading.

To shoot the Originals Class in NCOWS you have to submit a journal, do a presentation to your peers (other Original Class Participants), and document every item that you wear or use...showing it was in common use in the old west during the 19th century......you are judged by your peers on your presentation and documentation, and then given a score that becomes part of your overall shooting score. Its a lot of work, but a lot of fun and puts you in tune with the 19th century Old West.

Take a look......

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »
Howdy Bill

I gotta say your pictures blew me away, these pictures are really good, I didn't know you were in the last of the Mohicans, ( I know I didn't spell that right, but this is as close as I can come ) I really like that movie, I just joined NCOWS recently, and even though I can't join in right now I really enjoy being a member of this class act of an organization,

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »
Howdy Bill

I gotta say your pictures blew me away, these pictures are really good, I didn't know you were in the last of the Mohicans, ( I know I didn't spell that right, but this is as close as I can come ) I really like that movie, I just joined NCOWS recently, and even though I can't join in right now I really enjoy being a member of this class act of an organization,

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Ten Bears.....
Appreciate it......

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2009, 09:13:09 AM »

If you are a cowboy (obviously I'm not), you would be lucky to have owned  two changes of clothes.....and they would have been clothes that you work in on the trail, or around horses, you can really get dirty during the daily chores around horses.

Bill

I am NOT letting the husband see that comment.. :D we have many disscussions on how one should look going out the door to the cowboy functions....He often uses the line "a real cowboy...."  I have to remind him what the real cowgirls would have smelled like too...for which he tells me he doesn't care (he knows I like my showers) I often have to resort to reminding him real cowboys often slept with their horses and other men  ;)...my other option would be shoving him off the horse into the creek I guess...but that would just cause a fight.. ;D

I don't think I have any pictures of what you are looking for.....(day two on the trail) I often avoid the camera when I look really "authentic"

I have found that the fellas like the smell of gun oil on a gal and the gun greese under the nails doesn't seem to bother them either.

It's nice to know I have friends who would let round the campfire smellin' and lookin' authentic  ;D

"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2009, 10:51:12 AM »
Baths or clean clothes were few and far between on the trail.  The baths and clean clothes, if were are to believe the movies, came at the end of the trail. I don't like to smell myself after the first day without a bath.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2009, 11:16:31 AM »
Daniel......I belong to SASS too (#2434), I wear the same clothing to a SASS event that I do at NCOWS, no difference.

I see that I have made myself thoroughly misunderstood once more! :-X :D

What I meant to say is that you obviously adhere to the higher and more stringent NCOWS standards rather than the [much] more relaxed SASS standards.  Naturally, therefore, you would wear a full clout.

I'm not yet ready for the Originals standards, at the moment being more interested in visual authenticity -- looking right -- than true authenticity -- being right in every aspect.  However, eventually meeting the Originals standards  is part of my long-range plan.  For example I am currently making a full breechclout, out of some natural linen-like fabric, that will extend down to my knees both front and rear.  However, I will probably wear it over a pair of white surgical scrub pants (that will soon enough become less-than-white).

You asked me if I knew why leggings et al were made close-fitting from about the knee down.  Two reasons I can think of:  (1) to help keep them in place without the need of tight garters, and (2) to reduce the chance of snagging or making noise on something -- brush, cactus, etc.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2009, 01:32:33 PM »
I have found that the fellas like the smell of gun oil on a gal and the gun grease under the nails doesn't seem to bother them either.

Uh......Scarlet, it wouldn't bother me either  ;)

Daniel.....the second answer you listed is exactly the reason leggings are worn skin tight......the reason for fringed leggings (particularly thin rolled fringe) is that it makes it easier to shed water.....this only works with brained tanned, smoked deerskin.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »
Daniel.....the second answer you listed is exactly the reason leggings are worn skin tight......

Yup, I learned that one the hard way, only with trousers rather than leggings.

I imagine the first answer is also true for some... :)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2009, 11:32:15 AM »

This was one of my first outfits for this sport from 2003. The hat is a crushable wool felt with wire in the brim. The bandanna I made of yellow cotton. The shirt is a light blue Oxford. The vest is dark blue suede front and satin back from Goodwill. The gun rig is a second hand buscadero. The Bowie knife is an inexpensive one I with a cheap leather sheath. I later made a better sheath. The pants are Levi's from Goodwill. The boots are engineer boots.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com