Author Topic: Lets do some looking at outfits  (Read 206721 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Lets do some looking at outfits
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »
Notice the Title says "Outfit" Abilene. ;)

I don't use it, if I did it would me all I ever wear is a "costume." ::)

Nice outfit also.

The sweat band is expensive to have done, most places charge $50 or more.  On my list of learn to do's, but I would have to charge that much also.

I've made a couple out of heavy wool, works good:

A pard bought an unformed blank:

I built him this:

He had the hitched band.

Looks pretty good on him in this faked hand tinted picture of him makin' hash at the GAF Muster. ;)

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
Del, That hat turned out pretty good.  You are a true Master Hatter.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 06:21:54 PM »
This is a favorite picture of mine.  late October 2006, was at an old time havest festible to cook for the demonstrators who ranged in time from maybe 1880's to 1950's. 

Early, maybe 7 am, got bread started and under the towel on the cupboard rising, starting a second pot of coffee:

The picture has a couple problems I don't like, but sometimes Photoshop is yer friend. ;D

Over my shoulder is a John Deere "M", and the jerry can we use for water has just been filled and dropped off by one of the folks running around on a golf cart to save us a long walk, it is normally hidden

The darker green is a trunk I keep cook gear in, been replaced with a wooden one.

The red under my arm is a cob pile and some scap lumber, in other words, lots of tinder:

Now it's better:

Shirt is a ginham bib, same pants hat and apron as in others, bandanna is a red calico cotton.

The sepia:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 02:28:05 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 06:32:11 PM »
All ya need is a chuckwagon.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »
All ya need is a chuckwagon.

A friend with one who is willing to haul it is even better. ;D

This one has been sold and a bigger and improved one should be at a couple of places this year. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »
Is that picture taken at Rock Creek?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 06:45:19 PM »
Is that picture taken at Rock Creek?

Nope, Hollenburg Pony Express Staion in Kansas, was one between it and Rock Creek, the building is original.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 06:47:35 PM »
Here is one from 2001, my pard gopher Grease (Matt) and I again.  Were at an antique farm show, a friend from a local historical society owns the wagons, he drug out the bench from the one he hauls folks around and told us to enjoy. 

We were sitting around watching the dutch ovens cook and some fella with this big fancy camera and tripod stopped and asked if he could take our picture.  Was gonna enter some photo contest and we said sure, go ahead.  Well about a month later he sent be and 8X10 and a note that he'd won some sort of prize. ::)

Same ol' hat, bib shirt from the grinding coffee picture, a pair of herring bone pants I made and a yellow cotton bandanna.

Matt's hat is a Sunbody "Sam Houston" same pair of corduroy pants I rebuilt and a calico shirt his mother made him.

The sepia:

The B&W:

The next day the photographer for the local paper stopped by, Matt made the front page next day, me I hid under the awning in the shade, it was 105F. ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 10:38:39 PM »
This I think covers 1800's to the silver screen...

Corset and skirt are satin..(skirt used to be a brides maids dress) so yeah you can do stuff with left over brides maids dresses. :)
Gun belt & holsters were hand made from a very good freind of mine (God rest his soul...he woulda fit right in here)
Guns...45's 
Horse..Tennesse Walker..breed came about mid 1800's
Saddle...it's what is refered to a bear trap (style) I'd love to find the real history on this. Instead of conchos it has Mexican dollars.

I think it was Roy who had to kiss Trigger at the end of the scene or he got jelous...guess that would make the picture good for the silver screen era  ;D

"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 10:41:31 PM »
Tin type I had made at the 2006 NCOWS Convention.

One of my horses....

This photo was taken during the filming of the Last of the Mohicans, only time I've shaved my head.

Stunt work for a film I worked on in 1997, the tattoos on my arms and legs were air brushed on by a make up artist.

NSSA National shoot 2007

Tin type of myself and French Jack, 2006 NCOWS convention. Notice the correct Chiricahua Moccasins I am wearing.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 10:44:19 PM »
Beautiful Horse......Scarlet ;)

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 11:08:24 PM »
Thank you Bill.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »
Those are some mighty fine pics, y'all. Good clothes, good people, good horse.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »
Nice stuff, both of you and thanks.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2009, 10:33:19 PM »
Peasant blouse, made of cotton. (by me)
Corset is red and black satin...made by "Laced" honestly a well/properly made corest is very comfortable. I didn't think they would be but I was wrong. I can wear mine all day. It does provide alot of back support too.
choker is made of hair pipe beads-(bone and horn). Hand made by my dad.
Chaps..hand made in TX. Yes, they were a custom job. When I told the guy I was a cowboy action shooter he was very proud to be doing a custom job.  They buckle (not zip). Traditionally this style (chinks I believe is the proper PC term) should be slightly shorter but when a gal has imagination and it's a custom job I figured there was no limit and I know what I like. 
Mounted shooting partner...another Tennesse Walker. 

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2009, 11:04:04 PM »

Dress...taffeta. Sewn by my mom.
lots and lots of lace..sewn on an underskirt made of satin...boa is made of feathers-purchased from a costume store ( I refuse to chase an ostrich for this), corset...another one by "Laced" made of satin and cotton.
Pantaloons are cotton- I made those.
Boots..they are leather but look mostly like dirt from walking the streets at EOT.

The skirt is rather heavy because of all of the lace.

One thing I will share about ladies PC clothing...I know why they had people help dress them with all the lacing..the corset is not so bad but the dresses can be a challenge if you don't have any help.

mike highgate

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »
Scarlet, you look terrific.

Ottawa Creek, those are very authentic-looking tintype images. Who took them?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »
Mike......

I remember his last name as Rambo....He should be back at the NCOWS convention again this year....someone on the NCOWS forum could give you more information if you want it.

Not being critical.....
But one thing I've noticed is that most of the images we post on these kinds of forums is that our clothes look like we just wore them for the first time(not you Del).....I wish more folks would try to look like they've worn their clothes for a good length of time, especially the male gender.

If you are a cowboy (obviously I'm not), you would be lucky to have owned  two changes of clothes.....and they would have been clothes that you work in on the trail, or around horses, you can really get dirty during the daily chores around horses.

I like what Del does to his clothes...when they suffer a hole or a tear he sews  a patch on, or repairs the tear, you can tell he uses his clothes and wears them as much as he can.....

Just an observation so please don't take this our of context.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »
Thanks Bill, I do have an advatage that a lot don't, I get to wear them to work when they are all nice and new, then when the get too ragged to wear there, I put them in the other group.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 10:01:15 AM »
I was looking through my files and trying to decide what to post next, (don't worry, I have some of other folks) and decided to do this outfit next.  This one is also from 2001 at the State Fair, down in the NNG area with their Civil War group.  I had to be to work at 10 am, but slipped down on the way about sunup.   Baked a couple oven of bread for them and then the guy in the other picture that wasn't dressed yet, did the rest of the meal.

Same custom Rand hat as 4th of July picture, shirt a gathered drop sleeve I made, vest I made, either COWS or Wah pants (don't remember) and Buffalo Runners. 

I won't tell anyone else don't, but I don't wear the black pants much anymore, in fact the two older ones I had (both Wah and COWS) have been passed on to others.  Only black ones I have today are a pair of brushed cotton Frontier Classics that I keep for dress with the frock coat outfit.  I also only wear them for more formal, non-historical things like weddings and funerals.

The reason is, that from my research and understanding cotton could not be dyed black in the time, just wool and silk.  I'd like to get a pair of black wool dress pants sometime.  For more historical things I wear Frontier Classices blue pants with a pin stripe.

ot saying not to wear black cotton, but I choose not to, don't wear the vest any more for the same reason and it will go to someone else sometime.

The sepia:

The B&W:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com