Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 06:55:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cas City Historical Society  |  The Old Fashioned Way (Moderators: St. George, Delmonico)  |  Topic: Lets do some looking at outfits 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lets do some looking at outfits  (Read 39758 times)
Ottawa Creek Bill
Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 11:44:19 pm »

Beautiful Horse......Scarlet Wink

Bill

Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2009, 12:08:24 am »

Thank you Bill.

"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... Id hate to be the one on the hell side. ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2009, 12:50:30 am »

Those are some mighty fine pics, y'all. Good clothes, good people, good horse.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2009, 08:30:43 pm »

Nice stuff, both of you and thanks.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2009, 11:33:19 pm »

Peasant blouse, made of cotton. (by me)
Corset is red and black satin...made by "Laced" honestly a well/properly made corest is very comfortable. I didn't think they would be but I was wrong. I can wear mine all day. It does provide alot of back support too.
choker is made of hair pipe beads-(bone and horn). Hand made by my dad.
Chaps..hand made in TX. Yes, they were a custom job. When I told the guy I was a cowboy action shooter he was very proud to be doing a custom job.  They buckle (not zip). Traditionally this style (chinks I believe is the proper PC term) should be slightly shorter but when a gal has imagination and it's a custom job I figured there was no limit and I know what I like. 
Mounted shooting partner...another Tennesse Walker. 

"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... Id hate to be the one on the hell side. ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 12:04:04 am »

Dress...taffeta. Sewn by my mom.
lots and lots of lace..sewn on an underskirt made of satin...boa is made of feathers-purchased from a costume store ( I refuse to chase an ostrich for this), corset...another one by "Laced" made of satin and cotton.
Pantaloons are cotton- I made those.
Boots..they are leather but look mostly like dirt from walking the streets at EOT.

The skirt is rather heavy because of all of the lace.

One thing I will share about ladies PC clothing...I know why they had people help dress them with all the lacing..the corset is not so bad but the dresses can be a challenge if you don't have any help.

mike highgate
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2009, 09:16:19 am »

Scarlet, you look terrific.

Ottawa Creek, those are very authentic-looking tintype images. Who took them?
Ottawa Creek Bill
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2009, 10:41:16 am »

Mike......

I remember his last name as Rambo....He should be back at the NCOWS convention again this year....someone on the NCOWS forum could give you more information if you want it.

Not being critical.....
But one thing I've noticed is that most of the images we post on these kinds of forums is that our clothes look like we just wore them for the first time(not you Del).....I wish more folks would try to look like they've worn their clothes for a good length of time, especially the male gender.

If you are a cowboy (obviously I'm not), you would be lucky to have owned  two changes of clothes.....and they would have been clothes that you work in on the trail, or around horses, you can really get dirty during the daily chores around horses.

I like what Del does to his clothes...when they suffer a hole or a tear he sews  a patch on, or repairs the tear, you can tell he uses his clothes and wears them as much as he can.....

Just an observation so please don't take this our of context.

Bill

SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 10:45:41 am »

Thanks Bill, I do have an advatage that a lot don't, I get to wear them to work when they are all nice and new, then when the get too ragged to wear there, I put them in the other group.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 11:01:15 am »

I was looking through my files and trying to decide what to post next, (don't worry, I have some of other folks) and decided to do this outfit next.  This one is also from 2001 at the State Fair, down in the NNG area with their Civil War group.  I had to be to work at 10 am, but slipped down on the way about sunup.   Baked a couple oven of bread for them and then the guy in the other picture that wasn't dressed yet, did the rest of the meal.

Same custom Rand hat as 4th of July picture, shirt a gathered drop sleeve I made, vest I made, either COWS or Wah pants (don't remember) and Buffalo Runners. 

I won't tell anyone else don't, but I don't wear the black pants much anymore, in fact the two older ones I had (both Wah and COWS) have been passed on to others.  Only black ones I have today are a pair of brushed cotton Frontier Classics that I keep for dress with the frock coat outfit.  I also only wear them for more formal, non-historical things like weddings and funerals.

The reason is, that from my research and understanding cotton could not be dyed black in the time, just wool and silk.  I'd like to get a pair of black wool dress pants sometime.  For more historical things I wear Frontier Classices blue pants with a pin stripe.

ot saying not to wear black cotton, but I choose not to, don't wear the vest any more for the same reason and it will go to someone else sometime.

The sepia:

The B&W:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2009, 11:09:11 am »

The photographer's name is David Rambow.

Books O'Toole may have his contact information, or be able to tell us if he'll be at the Convention in March.

I appreciate the thought everyone has put into their wardrobe choices.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Books OToole
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Michael Tatham

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2009, 11:38:48 am »

I do have Dave Rambo's contact information, though not with me right now.  He works fo the NPS at Pipestone, MN.
It's a bit far for him to haul his stuff to KC for the convention.

However, last year we had Robert Szabo and he is outstanding.  He has a National Geographic cover to his credit.
I think there is about an 80% chance that he will be with us again this year.

Books

G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2009, 11:55:20 am »

I do love hats of all types. Being bald they serve a more practical purpose rather than just style.

RCJ

John I didn't know if I wanted to post this picture of you, but since you told us something, I decided to. Wink

I like the one's of you cleaning yer pistol on the porch of the Ft. Hartsuff barracks at the 2008 GAF Muster.  This one I really like because it looks like yer gonna ambush someone comin' out the door.

The sepia:

The B&W:

I like the fact that the #10 can they have for a butt can is painted army blue.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

mike highgate
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2009, 12:53:26 pm »

Thanks for the info on David Rambow, guys.
Ottawa Creek Bill
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2009, 12:56:27 pm »

2005, This is about as new as I get. Clothing is fairly new. The pants I made from an old Mexican pattern. Since then, the pants have taken on a sort of light brown cast, as has the breech clout. I've lengthened the breech clout in front to match the back.

The shirt bright red in this photo, came from River Junction Trading Co., has turned a dull red with being worn in the sun and repeated washings....I'll try to find a more current photo to show the contrast in how this outfit has aged.

The Ladies full length multi striped hose came from River Junction and were a favorite of Apache men. The Chiricahua Apache Moccasins I made.

The hair is mine.

Bill

SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2009, 03:47:25 pm »

OK, a few from Rock Creek Station in 2008 and the gun fights stuff from down there:

This picture came as a bit of a shock when I down-loaded it, have known Dave for about 8 yrears and didn't know he was bald.

To let you know that no one was really killed here, they still show up at meal time, none the worse for wear:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2009, 04:55:45 pm »

John I didn't know if I wanted to post this picture of you, but since you told us something, I decided to. Wink

This also shows when I want to protect my sleeves, or it's a warm day, I roll them up revealing my long-sleeved under clothing. I find that underclothing in the dog days of summer helps to keep me cool while in deep winter it adds another warm layer.  Our ancestors knew a thing or two. The natural fabric materials,- cotton, wool, linen and silk, breathe better than modern acrylic fabrics. Not to mention a mite safer around the campfire.

The hair is mine.

Bill

Just HAD to throw that in, didn't ya, Bill? Wink Grin

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2009, 06:06:36 pm »

The hair is mine.

Bill

Just HAD to throw that in, didn't ya, Bill? Wink Grin

Well I forgot to mention mine is mine also.  But we don't care John, baldness is PC also, they say Custer was going bald also. Wink

Nice explination also on the clothes John.  I'm going to dig, I know I have a couple more of you.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Daniel Nighteyes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2009, 08:04:50 pm »

I've lengthened the breech clout in front to match the back.

Do you use a full clout, or more of a front-and-rear "apron"?

The Ladies full length multi striped hose came from River Junction and were a favorite of Apache men.

More about the hose, please.

[/quote]
Ottawa Creek Bill
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2009, 09:37:35 pm »

Daniel........

I use a full clout.......partial clouts and aprons (great lakes) didn't come about until  into the 20th century when we were catering to the tourist trade and didn't want to embarrass anybody, and until recently (the past 20 years) was something you would only see in movies........never a good source for correct information.

If you look at the photos from the movie stills I've posted here, I'm wearing the real thing naked butt and all. Doesn't bother me at all.

The multi colored hose as far as I can tell was something that only the Apache wore. You can see this in a lot of old photos of the Apache during the time period. I'm a stickler for authenticity and don't really care for the B-movie thing. research is the key word here.

If you are doing a Native American impression and are wearing leggings whether they be Deer Skin or Wool, they should be made to conform to the leg (at least from above the top of the knee down to the ankle) as tight as possible. They were made this way for a reason (care to guess why?).

Nowhere have I found a period photo of an Indian wearing leather pants.....of any kind. Pants were cloth and either traded for, late 19th century from the Whites (1880 or after the reservation period) or much earlier from the Mexicans & Spanish (southwestern Indians).

Bill

SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Daniel Nighteyes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2009, 02:06:14 am »

I use a full clout.......

Good.  I forgot that you're NCOWS rather than SASS, so of course you would!

If you are doing a Native American impression...

I do one of those every day... Cheesy Cheesy

I'm actually trying to piece together an "outfit" that Daniel might have picked up in bits and pieces.  Mostly Lipan and Jicarilla Apache, with some Kiowa, Comanche (maybe a little Arapahoe) thrown in for good measure.  Daniel's meandering westward trek was across the Indian Territories, the Texas panhandle and some of the so-called Cimarron Strip (I think the official title was "Unassigned Lands"), into northern New Mexico.
Ottawa Creek Bill
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2009, 09:59:38 am »

Good.  I forgot that you're NCOWS rather than SASS, so of course you would!

I do one of those every day... Cheesy Cheesy

I'm actually trying to piece together an "outfit" that Daniel might have picked up in bits and pieces.  Mostly Lipan and Jicarilla Apache, with some Kiowa, Comanche (maybe a little Arapahoe) thrown in for good measure.  Daniel's meandering westward trek was across the Indian Territories, the Texas panhandle and some of the so-called Cimarron Strip (I think the official title was "Unassigned Lands"), into northern New Mexico.

Daniel......I belong to SASS too (#2434), I wear the same clothing to a SASS event that I do at NCOWS, no difference.

If you go to the NCOWS web site www.ncows.org go to the downloads page, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Originals Section. The Originals Class is a shooting class just like any other shooting class with a couple of exceptions.

You'll see there are several of us that have submitted our journals that show how we got where we are in the 19th Century Old West. My journal, as well as others, is over 30 pages long and makes for some interesting reading.

To shoot the Originals Class in NCOWS you have to submit a journal, do a presentation to your peers (other Original Class Participants), and document every item that you wear or use...showing it was in common use in the old west during the 19th century......you are judged by your peers on your presentation and documentation, and then given a score that becomes part of your overall shooting score. Its a lot of work, but a lot of fun and puts you in tune with the 19th century Old West.

Take a look......

Bill

SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2009, 09:26:12 pm »

Howdy Bill

I gotta say your pictures blew me away, these pictures are really good, I didn't know you were in the last of the Mohicans, ( I know I didn't spell that right, but this is as close as I can come ) I really like that movie, I just joined NCOWS recently, and even though I can't join in right now I really enjoy being a member of this class act of an organization,

tEN wOLVES  Wink Cheesy Grin

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Ottawa Creek Bill
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2009, 10:13:54 pm »

Howdy Bill

I gotta say your pictures blew me away, these pictures are really good, I didn't know you were in the last of the Mohicans, ( I know I didn't spell that right, but this is as close as I can come ) I really like that movie, I just joined NCOWS recently, and even though I can't join in right now I really enjoy being a member of this class act of an organization,

tEN wOLVES  Wink Cheesy Grin

Ten Bears.....
Appreciate it......

Bill

SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Scarlet Angel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2009, 10:13:09 am »

If you are a cowboy (obviously I'm not), you would be lucky to have owned  two changes of clothes.....and they would have been clothes that you work in on the trail, or around horses, you can really get dirty during the daily chores around horses.

Bill

I am NOT letting the husband see that comment.. Cheesy we have many disscussions on how one should look going out the door to the cowboy functions....He often uses the line "a real cowboy...."  I have to remind him what the real cowgirls would have smelled like too...for which he tells me he doesn't care (he knows I like my showers) I often have to resort to reminding him real cowboys often slept with their horses and other men  Wink...my other option would be shoving him off the horse into the creek I guess...but that would just cause a fight.. Grin

I don't think I have any pictures of what you are looking for.....(day two on the trail) I often avoid the camera when I look really "authentic"

I have found that the fellas like the smell of gun oil on a gal and the gun greese under the nails doesn't seem to bother them either.

It's nice to know I have friends who would let round the campfire smellin' and lookin' authentic  Grin

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cas City Historical Society  |  The Old Fashioned Way (Moderators: St. George, Delmonico)  |  Topic: Lets do some looking at outfits « previous next »
Jump to: