Author Topic: "Pre-War" with 5 1/2" or 4 3/4" barrel?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline tifo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Pre-War" with 5 1/2" or 4 3/4" barrel?
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »
I'm looking to purchase a "Pre-War," and thanks to you guys, I've settled on the CP frame with the square notch sights, but I'm still undecided about barrel length.  I've heard that it's all a matter of preference, but I'd like to hear some advice from those who have them.  Is the accuracy and muzzle velocity of the 5 1/2" barrel significantly better when compared to the 4 3/4" barrel?  Is the 4 3/4" barrel significantly quicker to draw than the 5 1/2" barrel (even though I know it's not allowed in CAS ;D ) I'd like to get the pros and cons of both barrel lengths before deciding the one to get.

Thanks,
Ray     

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: "Pre-War" with 5 1/2" or 4 3/4" barrel?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:58:54 AM »
You're talking 3/4"!  The main difference is cosmetic and depending on caliber a slight difference in balance.  Otherwise, there isn't enough difference to worry about.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »
The 3/4" difference in sight radius is negligible.  As for muzzle velocity, a very general rule of thumb is 50 fps per inch so there is no appreciable difference there either.  It pretty much boils down to which one you find most attractive.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:22:47 AM »

Offline Buffalo Bruce

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 06:40:18 PM »
Tifo:
I have 2 Pre Wars in 7 1/2 and 5 1/2 and a Rodeo II in 4 3/4. I shoot double duelist. I can tell you that for me the shorter barrels are much easier to handle. I shot a clean match last year using the 4 3/4 with my weak hand and the 7 1/2 in my strong hand. I love the long barreled guns because they are more historicaly acurate, but they are more trickey. I think that a number of studies and a number of gunfignters have agreed the the 5" barrel is the best fighting gun.
BB

Offline tifo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:07:03 PM »
Buffalo Bruce,

You said the 5" barrel is the best for gunfighting...do you mean the 5 1/2" barrel or the 4 3/4" because USFA doesn't make them in 5" barrel.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 01:17:23 PM »
We aren't gunfighting and you are correct there is no 5" barrel USFA.  Again, there ain't bug snots worth of difference between a 4 3/4" and a 5 1/2".  There's a big difference if you go to a Sheriffs length 3" or the long barreled 7 1/2".  Not sure exactly what BB meant about "gunfighting" and "fighting" gun.  If he is talking about the SASS Gunfighter category, people use all barrel lengths depending on personal preference.  Best thing for you to do is go to a gun store or look at some friends guns in the caliber you intend to buy and pick the one that balances best for YOU.  Differences in draw speed and muzzle velocity aren't really the deciding factor since 3/4" makes no practical difference in either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com