Author Topic: Lookjing for information about my M1860 Spencer Carbine  (Read 17212 times)

3KY

Lookjing for information about my M1860 Spencer Carbine
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:21:15 AM »
Looking to see if you have any information on my M1860 Spencer Carbine serial number 52374. I'll try to post some pictures asap. Nice you have the records. I wish I knew the units that had all my milslup rifles and pistols. If only they could talk. Thank you very much.

Michael Hale

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Lookjing for information about my M1860 Spencer Carbine
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 12:24:31 PM »
Hi 3KY,

Some time ago I acquired the four volume set of the Springfield Research Service (SRS) Serial Numbers of U.S. Martial Arms. I purchased the set so I could help SSS members identify which unit their original Spencer Carbine or rifle was issued or assigned to during, and perhaps, after the Civil War.

Unfortunately, not all the Spencer serial numbers are listed in the four volume set I own. And, there are gaps between indicated serial numbers. This paragraph is a DISCLAIMER of sorts. As a courtesy to SSS members, I am happy to reveal to you the information I have regarding the serial number of your Spencer carbine or rifle. But, please remember, I am just regurgitating what I read in my SRS volumes with some "unscientific conjecture" on my part . What I do is the following: I take your Spencer serial number and try to place it in between the two closest serial numbers to yours listed in my SRS volume. In most cases, if the serial numbers for the Spencer before and after your own serial number were issued to the same unit, I assume your Spencer went to the same unit. Or, if your Spencer serial number is very, very close to another Spencer serial number, I assume your Spencer went to the same unit. I call this the “Two Flints guesstimation”  ::) ::).  I’m guessing and estimating at the same time on what I believe to be correct information based upon the information I find in my four volume set of SRS.  If the information is lacking in correctness and or accuracy, it ain't my fault. I'm just doing the best that I can do with what I have to work with :-\ :-\  And that is the best that I can do for you.

Having written all the above, your Spencer Carbine serial # 52,374 may have been issued to a member of Co. B of the 14th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry on or about March 25, 1865.  My records also show another Spencer Carbine with the serial # 52,371 as going to the same unit as do other Spencer Carbines with higher and lower serial #s in the 52,000 range.

Hope this helps.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

3KY

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:47:13 AM »
WOW thank you. Wonder how it made its way to Kentucky. I guess it fought Indians instead of Confederates. Now I'll research the 14 Kansas Cavalry. Thanks again.
Michael Hale

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:37:39 AM »

3KY

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »
I have one more serial number off another I picked up. Its 27691. Nicer carbine than my first but someone has replaced the rear sight with a hunting sight and cut the saddle bar ring off.
Thanks,
Michael Hale

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
Hi 3KY Again,

Some time ago I acquired the four volume set of the Springfield Research Service (SRS) Serial Numbers of U.S. Martial Arms. I purchased the set so I could help SSS members identify which unit their original Spencer Carbine or rifle was issued or assigned to during, and perhaps, after the Civil War.

Unfortunately, not all the Spencer serial numbers are listed in the four volume set I own. And, there are gaps between indicated serial numbers. This paragraph is a DISCLAIMER of sorts. As a courtesy to SSS members, I am happy to reveal to you the information I have regarding the serial number of your Spencer carbine or rifle. But, please remember, I am just regurgitating what I read in my SRS volumes with some "unscientific conjecture" on my part . What I do is the following: I take your Spencer serial number and try to place it in between the two closest serial numbers to yours listed in my SRS volume. In most cases, if the serial numbers for the Spencer before and after your own serial number were issued to the same unit, I assume your Spencer went to the same unit. Or, if your Spencer serial number is very, very close to another Spencer serial number, I assume your Spencer went to the same unit. I call this the “Two Flints guesstimation”  ::) ::).  I’m guessing and estimating at the same time on what I believe to be correct information based upon the information I find in my four volume set of SRS.  If the information is lacking in correctness and or accuracy, it ain't my fault. I'm just doing the best that I can do with what I have to work with :-\ :-\  And that is the best that I can do for you.

Having written all the above, your Spencer Carbine serial # 27691, was most likely issued to a member of Co C, of the 4th Kentucky Mounted Infantry on or about March, 1865. All the serial #s higher and lower than 27691 were issued to different companies within this same unit, the 4th Kentucky Mounted Infantry.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »
Hi Two Flints,
What info do you have on ser. num. 13906.  Carbine with Mod 1865 on barrel and no stabler cutoff?
Thanks
Colt

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 10:11:44 AM »
Hi Colt Fanning,

Having written all the above, your Spencer Carbine serial # 13906 most likely was issued to a member of Co I, 3rd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry, on or about May, 1864.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline Riflemam

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »
Hello Two Flints.Do you any information on a Spencer Carbine with  serial number  12660.Any help at all is appreciated.

Dale

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 08:30:13 PM »
Rifleman,

As policy, I have to post my standard disclaimer.  So here it is, again ::)

Having written all the above, your Spencer Carbine serial # 12660 is kind of hard to speculate on.  None of the SRS books I have give a very accurate idea on your carbine.  However, I am including a section scan of one page of my SRS books that shows where your carbine serial # falls in among other Spencer Carbine serial #s.  And the closest serial # match to your serial # is 12666, the Tonkawa Scouts!

Hope this is of some help to you.  Thanks for joining SSS.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline Riflemam

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 09:00:32 PM »
Thanks Two Flints.

Offline T.MAC

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »
Yes, Sir,

Thank you in advance for your time and interest
and for sharing the research in your
Four Volume set of the Springfield Research Service (SRS) Serial Numbers of U.S. Martial Arms.
and
for any information you can supply
in regard to my:

Spencer Carbine
Model 1860
Serial Number - 36062

Again, Thanks,
I enjoy reading all the results of your searches.
- Terry  (T.MAC)

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »
Hi T. MAC,

I guess you have already read my disclaimer ::) ::)  But, here it is again ;D ;D

Unfortunately, not all the Spencer serial numbers are listed in the four volume set I own. And, there are gaps between indicated serial numbers. This paragraph is a DISCLAIMER of sorts. As a courtesy to SSS members, I am happy to reveal to you the information I have regarding the serial number of your Spencer carbine or rifle. But, please remember, I am just regurgitating what I read in my SRS volumes with some "unscientific conjecture" on my part . What I do is the following: I take your Spencer serial number and try to place it in between the two closest serial numbers to yours listed in my SRS volume. In most cases, if the serial numbers for the Spencer before and after your own serial number were issued to the same unit, I assume your Spencer went to the same unit. Or, if your Spencer serial number is very, very close to another Spencer serial number, I assume your Spencer went to the same unit. I call this the “Two Flints guesstimation”).  I’m guessing and estimating at the same time on what I believe to be correct information based upon the information I find in my four volume set of SRS.  If the information is lacking in correctness and or accuracy,  it ain't my fault.  I'm just doing the best that I can do with what I have to work with.  And that is the best that I can do for you.

Having written all the above,
it appears that your Spencer Carbine may have been issued or re-issued to a member of Co. I, 3rd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry on or about June 1865.

Hope this helps.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 09:12:46 PM »
Hi Two Flints,
What info do you have on ser. num. 13906.  Carbine with Mod 1865 on barrel and no stabler cutoff?
Thanks
Colt
this probly a 1865 modle carbine ,has it got a bevelled hamer nose ,rounded around the opening at top of action and grooves in the end of the magizine tube,although 13906 serial number is high for one without a cutoff

Offline Sniper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »
Hello Two Flints.Do you any information on a Spencer Carbine with  serial number  98435 .Any help at all is appreciated.
Thank.
Martin from Mar del plata, Argentina.

PD: This is my carabine.

??? ??? What´s that marking?? ??? ???

Offline Two Flints

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 07:56:31 PM »
Hi Sniper,

Are there any other markings on your Spencer Carbine, especially on the barrel or the top of the receiver?  Could you provide some closeup photos of the receiver and trigger guard areas?

I scanned this page from the Roy C. Marcot book.  On this page the range of Spencer Carbines is indicated and your Spencer Carbine (serial #98435) may have been one of those carbines sold to the Argentine government, although I am not sure about this.

both scanned photos are the same, hopefully the photo below is a bit sharper and clearer!

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 11:57:58 PM »
on the 1/2/1869 the ordnance department sold Argentina 200 spencer carbines & 200,000 rounds of 56-50 cartriges these carbines would have been modle 1865s price was 26 dollars per carbine so they would have been new,by this time the Fogarty Repeating Rifle Company owned the Spencer factory & stock so any further orders for new Spencers would hav to go through this company or the Winchester company which bought the Fogarty company,winchester did sell Spencers to Brazile and other south american contries so quickly that by 1873 Brazile had to get extra spencers made in Belgiam this was because nealy all surplace and the rest of winchesters stock of Spencers had been sold to france ,I have seen the mark on the stock somwere ellce is there any other stamps on the right hand side of the stock

Offline Sniper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 07:23:56 AM »
Thank Herbert, thank Two Flints.

Offline npm5063

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 08:36:37 PM »
i just bought a 1860 serial number 46190 any info on it

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »
i just bought a 1860 serial number 46190 any info on it

I'm not Two Flints but do have the SRS books. ;D

That serial number falls into a range of numbers issued to the 2nd New York Volunteer Cavalry.Your particular number is not listed but falls between these two listed numbers:

46,002   Co.M 2nd NY Vol.Cav.

46,252   Co.M 2nd NY Vol,Cav.

Offline npm5063

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »
ok thanks any idea when it went into service

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com