Author Topic: Looking for RV 44-40s  (Read 6253 times)

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
Looking for RV 44-40s
« on: February 11, 2005, 10:59:39 AM »

Howdy Rats!

I have some customers looking for Ruger Vaquero 44-40s. They are hard to come by these days. If you know where I can find them, let me know.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Looking for RV 44-40s
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 12:41:52 PM »
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Chick Brewster

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 10:02:47 PM »
I have been looking for some RV 44-40 myself and came across the same link...  better hurry!  haha  Just goshin' ya  I did have a question on why Ruger does'nt make this caliber anymore?  If anyone knows for sure...

-cb-
Old Cowboy's Advice:  " Never miss a chance to keep your mouth shut! "

Three Gaited Horse For Sale...  Stumble, Fart & Fall

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:46:35 PM »

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 10:10:35 PM »
Bruther Dave had a pair listed this week..........Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Soldierboy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 09:04:20 PM »
Bruther Dave had a pair listed this week..........Buck 8) ;)
No... He doesn't at least not anymore  ;D

Well... I guess I'll have to becoma a part of the DIRTY RATS now....

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 10:14:34 PM »
Chick Brewster:

I have heard a coupla different opinions on why they dropped the .44-40 (.44 WCF) six-guns.

**  One was the fact that they had a bore diam of .429" instead of .427", that is more common to the caliber.  All them Rugers used the same bore diameter on .44 Mag as on .44 WCF's.  Simpler for the factory thataway.

**  Also heard of chamber & extraction problems----But I say that's BS.  Never seen it myself!

**  They also didn't sell near as many as the .357's, .44's, .45's which are more common & easier to load & buy factory ammo for.  

**  One more idee---If ya only make a few---they become collectible.  Some Rugers are already!!!

**  My opinions only.  Your results may vary.

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 12:43:46 AM »
Howdy, Pards,

Ruger messed up rather badly with the .44-40's.  As was posted, they went with .429" groove diameter barrels.  That wasn't so bad, in and of itself, as most of the Italian-made .44-40 guns have .429" barrels.

Where Ruger missed the boat initially was in following the SAAMI standard for BULLET diameters in the .44-40 as the standard for chamber and throat diameters.  SAAMI calls for bullet diameters of .427 + .000, -.003 or .424-.427"!  At the time Ruger brought out the Vaqueros in .44-40, the ONLY factory ammo was made by Winchester and Remington, and both use .425" dia. JACKETED softpoints!  (Back in the 1970's, Winchester's jacketed softpoints were .427".)  Dispite being told by a number of noted gun writers, and ersatz captain of 1870's cavalry, that Cowboy Action shooters would be the primary market for these guns, and we'd be using cast bullets, Ruger insisted on making the chambers tight and the throats .425" in diameter.

After much adverse comments in the press and on the phone, Ruger agreed to open the CHAMBERS to accept at least Winchester brass with .430" bullets.  But they insisted on leaving the throats at .425"!   ???  Finally, just before discontinuing the .44-40's altogether, they opened the throats up to .431 or so. (Don't know personally!)

Frankly, I found the "2nd issue", larger chambers, .425" throats, guns will drive tacks (1-5/8" groups at 25 yds, eyeballs co-operating and good lighting conditions).  But you have to use .430" hard-cast bullets (most commercial bullets will do nicely), and W-W brass.  (Starline brass is a good alternative; Remington is too thick!)

Only problem with Winchester .44-40 brass is scarcity and I am starting to lose a few.  Can't seem to get over 17-18 reloads anymore!  I take the oldest up to Hell-On-Wheels as they are now a "no-brass" match!

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Lars

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 09:40:39 AM »
Like Trailrider, I would expect that Ruger to need either a new cylinder or have the chambers and throats opened to "modern" dimensions. Otherwise, it is basically a "box gun", not a shooter.

I have one of those 55-XXXX Ruger Vaqueros in 44-40 and it had the undersized chambers and throats Trailrider describes. It would not shoot better than about 5,0 inch groups at 25 yards. Sent it back to Ruger for new cylinder with "modern dimension" chambers. The new cylinder had nominal 0,429 throats and 0,430 bullets in Starline or 0,429 bullets in Remington brass fit nicely into the chambers, with an occasional tight fit.

The one bummer with the new cylinder was that it was never finished inside. The chambers and the hole for the cylinder pin had abundant remaining tool marks and burrs. After a few hours with some fine emery paper the burrs and most of the tool marks are gone -- still, the insides are not pretty. The throats are now 0,430. The gun shoots nice small groups with 0,430 and 0,431 bullets. The bore is 0,429.

I do not know if Ruger still replaces the 44-40 cylinders free of charge (you still payed shipping cost to them).

Lars

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 12:14:04 PM »
Thanks for the in-depth information, Lars & Trailrider!!!!
Always great to have subject matter experts.
See ya on the CAS trail!   :o

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 03:03:51 PM »
Howdy Frank!
The serial numbers give a rough estimate only of when Ruger changed the cylinder dimensions.  Best to get a 44-40 round with a .427 bullet (factory JSP winchester and remington) and a .429 or .430 round from a fellow pard and see if they chamber and also if they fit through the cylinder throat. 
Ruger will replace the cylinder and has done so for free in the past (except for shipping to them).
I'd start looking for a second one now; they're getting scarce.

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 12:12:49 PM »
Howdy!
So the cartridge seats fully and easily in the chamber?  If yes, then unload the pistol and remove the cylinder from it.  Take the cartridge and see if you can put the the lead bullet part of it through the cylinder throat (the side of the cylinder that abuts the barrel).  That will tell you if your cylinder throats are too small or not for the bullet diameter you have. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com