Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 761859 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1740 on: February 12, 2012, 10:03:18 PM »
That engine & prop combination put out LOTS of torque!

If I remember kee-recktly, the powerplant & prop were the same as the B-29.  2,800 + HP

The F4U didn't get certified for carrier duty right away.  It took the late-war carriers to be able to handle the Hot Rod F4U series!  I think the Marines had them in quantity before most of the Airdales did - the 1st Navy Corsairs were only OKed for the few Naval land bases.  And they were pretty much side-by-side with the Marine F4Us.  I think it was not until mid-to-late '44 that the carriers routinely had them.  One of the primary problems was take-off speed, and the British catapults were adapted for American use primarily so the Navy could use Corsairs.  My Dad was part of their testing (the cats), but he never flew an F4U ... he said he got to taxi one once, but never got certified to fly them.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #1741 on: February 13, 2012, 04:10:17 AM »
The Corsair was built by Vought aviation in Grand Prairie, Tx.  They also built the Crusader. Vought merged with Lockeed. They still have offices and a plant in in Grand Prairie. It is one of the biggest employers in GP.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1742 on: February 13, 2012, 06:44:32 AM »
Hope I get some eagle shots. Right now I'd settle for seeing an egg on the webcam. The nest was a big empty last night.

Ran into a guy yesterday afternoon. He told me he was at the museum a couple weeks ago and they had Chuckie in the Fighter Factory.

When I ride out next I'm going to try to get some shots of the Junkers.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #1743 on: Today at 02:57:53 PM »

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1743 on: February 13, 2012, 06:56:05 AM »
I believe the problem with the F4U was the landing gear for the navy. Believe they had to make some changes/beef it up. Maybe deck clearance for the prop. They really didn't appear on carriers until late '44, or early '45 ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1744 on: February 13, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
Carrier landings were hard on the landing gears of the carrier based aircraft. The Corsair was superior to anything the Japs had faced, except maybe the Hellcat. I've got a coffeetable book of prints of Warbirds in action. One of these prints shows 4 Corsairs of the famous "Black Sheep" squadron chasing Zeros across the sky. One of these Corsair's has "Martha" painted on the nose. Ed "Shifty" Shefflet's wife was named Martha. I feel like this print is Ed's Corsair. I had the pleasure of knowing Martha. Her daughter, Evelyn, is a friend of the Moose. I never got to meet Ed and I bought the book after Martha had passed away. I am satisifed that the plane in the print is Ed's.  Ed was a HS and College wrestler and he broke "Pappy" Boyington's leg one night in the O club.  Ed retired as a full Colonel in the Marines. Evelyn told me that a frequent visitor to her house as a child was another Of Ed's Marine Corps buddies.  She knew him as "Tex". I later found at that "Tex" was in fact Bill Jordan.  Martha gave me an autographed copy of "No Second Place Winner". I never got to meet Bill and Evelyn never knew how famous Bill was.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Queasy Dillo

• Usual Suspect
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Boiler Plate Rat
    • Steel Carnival
  • Liked:
« Reply #1745 on: February 16, 2012, 11:51:08 PM »
Gentlemen,

Got a long-range notice from a friend today that from March 19-21 (Monday-Wednesday) there will be a B-24 and a P-51 camped out at TSTC Airport in Waco.  No word yet on which organization owns the aircraft, but I intend to be out there at least one of those days getting pictures. 

Might be worth a look if you're in the neighborhood with some time to kill. 
"Get it together?  Lady, last time my people got it together we needed most of Robert Lee's backyard to bury the evidence."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1746 on: February 17, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
That sounds like it might be "Ol 927" of the B29/B24 Squadron of the CAF and the p-51 may be "Gunfighter" also of the CAF. They tour together. I am a member of the B29/B24 Squadron and have been a member of the CAF for almost 20 years.  "Ol 927 is the oldest B24 in existence and the only B model left.  It was built in January, 1941.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1747 on: February 18, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »
I think I have an answer to Arcey's question "Where's Chuckie"? "Chuckie is at the Fighter Factory for it's annual check. It has all it's panels removed for inspection, lubrication, and repairs if necessary. They will spend over a 1,000 hours on "Chuckie" before she is ready for its test flight in the spring. The #3 engine is being replaced after it was overhauled, which has taken over 5 months. The FF is open to the public and it's admission is included in the cost of visiting the Museum.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1748 on: February 18, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
Thought that was it after talking to Jim.

I have to respect the sign they put up and stay away from the back, from the Fighter Factory. They put a gate up at the entrance last year just before the “Warbirds Over The Beach” event. It's always open unless they have something scheduled. I can go in now. I've been to the gift shop a couple times without paying admission. I wouldn't want the management to close the gate and put a volunteer in a shack charging people to drive to the parking lot. That's where I was when I took the shots last week. Many times when I stop in I'm in the area looking for birds or hitting the farm stands.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1749 on: February 18, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »
I get a newsletter from the Museum each month because of my Museum membership.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1750 on: March 02, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »
Acres of strawberries are starting to look pretty in Pungo. No signs on the farm stands with opening dates. Didn't see the first Eagle.

The Junkers

The tail

Don't know what these are................

Accidental discharge

The parts depot/warehouse, Fighter Factory and the new hangar going up

Their Go-Fer mobile

The guard shack (mini bunker?) has been added since I was there last. Looks like it's made of concrete

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1751 on: March 02, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »
Some more nice aircraft pictures that you posted for us. They are much appreciated.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1752 on: March 02, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
That balloon ir a really waded up Hellcat, Arcey. The Red Star plane is maybe a Yak or another whose name I can't remember ::)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1753 on: March 02, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
I’ll keep posting the things as long as they don’t get boring to y’all. There’s usually something outside. Spring’s coming and I’m ready for some fresh vegetables. I’ll take many rides out that way during the summer.

Buck, that’s it. As soon as I read it I remembered it. That’s what got me out there in the first place. They don’t advertise their presence. I figured it was an old building in Creeds so I went looking for it.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/07/small-plane-crashes-princess-anne-road-virginia-beach

The article is on par for the paper. It says the name of the pilot wasn’t released. Bring up the pictures and one is the pilot, by name, walking around the thing.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #1754 on: March 02, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »
nnnnn
Mathew 5.9

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1755 on: March 02, 2012, 11:01:59 PM »
It's a Yak 3 (Yakovlev) fighter and it was VERY capable.  Next to it is a P-40 and an FW 190. (Focke Wulf) The FW 190 was perhaps the best all-around plane the Nazis had in quantity.

Great photos, Arcey!  Thanks for posting them!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1756 on: March 02, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
After my previous post, I read the newspaper piece.  It appears that the accident happened to the one in your picture, Arcey.  I'm glad the pilot was OK, and  that the plane (and airport) suffered little damage to speak of.

The Wiki piece on the Yak 3 and other Yak fighters is pretty good and gives a good, 'tho short history of this outstanding plane.  It is interesting (and perhaps ironic) that one of the few reported problems with the Yak 3 design was with the pneumatic landing gear mechanism, unlike most of the American & British planes that used hydraulic systems.  They all fail once in a while.  And this is what happened to the plane in the paper's article.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1757 on: March 03, 2012, 07:35:41 AM »
I get a newsletter from the museum every month. They are supposed to have a former Luftwaffe pilot speak at the museum this month. He become a Luftwaffe pilot at the ripe old age of 17.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1758 on: March 03, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
Towards the end, they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel personel-wise ::)

Still wondering about that Hellcat looking thing in that one photo, Arcey. Ballon or wreck? ::)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1759 on: March 03, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
Buck, the thing with a 31 on it in the picture with the Dodge Neon station wagon?

That's a fiberglass dolphin. The things used to dot the ocean front like Norfolk's infamous mermaids did downtown. Someone stuck a prop on its nose, added a vertical stabilizer and painted it warbird style.

If that's it, sorry. I misunderstood the question the first time by.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com