Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 761861 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1520 on: June 13, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »
Leo, I got some more bad news. I just got an e-mail about a B-17 crashing and burning near Aurora, Illinois.  The "Liberty Belle" with 7 aboard, crashed while trying to make an emergency landing due to engine problems. All 7 people got out, but the plane was a total loss.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1521 on: June 13, 2011, 12:28:27 PM »
I know the LB, that is very sad to hear.  I Wright Cyclone is a complex engine and it's hard to imagine how many mechanics are out there that know them well enough.  Just a shame.

We have had some single engine jobs flying over the last two days.  One this morning was a Mustang with aluminum finish.  Have to find where they are headed but haven't seen anything in the news about a show.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1522 on: June 13, 2011, 12:33:44 PM »
They had a picture of the scene on Fox a bit ago. Whole fuesalage is gone from the wings to the tail. Glad the crew got out okay.................... :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Advertising

« Reply #1523 on: Today at 03:02:17 PM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1523 on: June 13, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1524 on: June 13, 2011, 12:45:05 PM »
Leo, That Mustang may be from the Planes of Fame museum. How far are you from Chino?  I am sure the owners of the "Liberty Belle" will try and find a replacement when they have enough coinage.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #1525 on: June 13, 2011, 01:12:05 PM »
Damn!

She was headed here to Indy.   :'(

The old Sweetie (and the skill of the pilot/crew) STILL managed to get her boys (and maybe girls) to ground safely.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1526 on: June 13, 2011, 05:29:51 PM »
I hope that Don and his group can aquire another B-17 somewhere and carry on the "Liberty Belle" legacy.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #1527 on: June 13, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »
I hope that Don and his group can aquire another B-17 somewhere and carry on the "Liberty Belle" legacy.
+

I hope they can continue also.    Glad they at least have a chance to do so.

Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1528 on: June 13, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »
I know that the Liberty Group is not finished and Don Brooks will do everything he can to aquire another B-17.  Congrats to the pilot on getting the plane down and everyone walking away.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1529 on: June 13, 2011, 09:08:41 PM »
In the end that is what counts.  I am glad the men are safe.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Judge Roy Bean

• Judge Roy Bean (U.K)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • www.laredo.org.uk
  • Liked:
« Reply #1530 on: June 14, 2011, 04:56:33 AM »
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1531 on: June 14, 2011, 05:42:51 AM »
Some of those pics are better than what we've seen over here, Judge. From the first one, it appears that the initial problem was the left inboard engine. I noticed that the prop is feathered on that one, while the other three aren't ::) :'(
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1532 on: June 16, 2011, 03:01:53 AM »
Hopefully they can salvage the engines and some of the cockpit area. A replacement B-17 will be expensive if one is found to purchase.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1533 on: June 16, 2011, 09:58:33 AM »
I can only imagine.   Doesn't it cost over a thou per hour just for fuel to fly one?

Or maybe more.  I wouldn't be surprised.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1534 on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
I'm still marveling over the fact that everyone got out uninjured. 

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1535 on: June 16, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »
The pilot made a perfect landing in the field. The problem was that the field was wet and the fire equipment could not get out there to put the fire out.  The airplane could have been saved if the fire equipment could have got to the plane. They had to sit on the road and watch the plane burn.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1536 on: June 16, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
Kinda bugs me that the pilot didn't the same coverage as the miracle on the Hudson guy.  The story wasn't even on the news here and the best information I got came from England.  Just my opinion.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1537 on: June 16, 2011, 11:55:47 AM »
He made a perfect gear down landing in that corn field.  The fire folks .just couldn't get out to the plane because of the wet field. I got a e-mail that "FIFI" is spending a few days over at our hangar in Fort Worth.  We should have a squadron meeting on Sat. at Addison. I'll get to see how the repairs on #1 engine on Ol'927 are going.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1538 on: June 16, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »
He made a perfect gear down landing in that corn field.  The fire folks .just couldn't get out to the plane because of the wet field. I got a e-mail that "FIFI" is spending a few days over at our hangar in Fort Worth.  We should have a squadron meeting on Sat. at Addison. I'll get to see how the repairs on #1 engine on Ol'927 are going.

I'm sure Diamond Lil will be just fine as long as someone calls by her proper name.  I did see the landing gear on the Belle set just right, the pilot was more than good. 

Roland Deschain

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1539 on: June 16, 2011, 04:59:48 PM »
Did the engine fire bottles work?  Or was it simply more than they could handle?

Or were they even filled?

Such a waste of a beautiful aircraft.  Too bad about the firefighters inability to get close enough to help!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com