Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 761858 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1380 on: March 27, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
I'm sorta partial to the F3F Grumman bi-plane.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1381 on: March 27, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »
A Hawk was responsible for sinking the Bismark.  The pilot came in low and they made a good hit.  The ships finished her off but that was the crippling blow.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1382 on: March 27, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »
The way I heared it, a Swordfish did the damage what jammed the rudder of the Bismarck ‘n the Brit’s ships sank ‘er.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #1383 on: Today at 02:54:28 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1383 on: March 27, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »
The way I heared it, a Swordfish did the damage what jammed the rudder of the Bismarck ‘n the Brit’s ships sank ‘er.

Yep, it twas a Swordfish, my vote for all time cool bi-plane.  The mechanical computers for the Bismark's guns were not geared to hit a plane that slow, they shot in front of them.  Got add Johnny Horton's classic song:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Ufc2hI4FM[/youtube]
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1384 on: March 27, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »
My mistake.  It was a swordfish.  Don't usually think of biplanes an WWII.  Johnny Horton didn't even mention it in his ditty.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1385 on: March 27, 2011, 09:47:06 PM »
Don't usually think of biplanes an WWII. 

Soviets used the Polikarpov Po-2 on the Eastern Front a lot, a bi-plane, flown at night a lot by women pilots they often shut of engines and glided over German camps and bombed and strafed them, didn't do a lot of damage as such except raise heck with their moral.

http://www.flyandrive.com/nightwitches2.htm
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1386 on: March 28, 2011, 01:02:38 AM »
Seeing Russian women anytime would be a strain.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1387 on: March 28, 2011, 01:08:24 AM »
Seeing Russian women anytime would be a strain.

I seen some perty ones but there is some kind of age limit on em.  I think it is 39. 

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1388 on: March 28, 2011, 01:15:06 AM »
I guess it would make a difference on how many "hard miles" they had on them.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1389 on: March 31, 2011, 06:02:05 AM »
We're supposed to have our first A-26 squadron meeting on Sat. Morning. No news on the flying statis for it's flight from Midland to Breckenridge. I hope we have good weather for some Pane Rides to generate some income for the VFM.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1390 on: March 31, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »
They were unable to find a pilot for the ferry flight of the A-26,  so it looks like another week before it can be moved to Breckenridge.

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #1391 on: March 31, 2011, 03:59:25 PM »
SUN-N-FUN, Lakeland Florida. Large storm passed by in the mid morning AM this morning. We had two airplanes on display. A brand new Maule and a used Maule. Both were damaged by high winds and blowing signs, building parts etc!  One Maule suffered only a bent wing strut but the other one suffered vertical stab damage, right elevator damage and the left wing collapsed. Headed that way in the morning with a spare strut for one Maule and a trailer to haul the other one home.

http://www.avweb.com/news/snf/SunNFun2011_StormDamage_Tornado_70Trapped_204377-1.html
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #1392 on: April 02, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
Here is the Maule we went and trailered home! Its the red and white airplane.
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1393 on: April 02, 2011, 06:43:33 PM »
That kind of weather is got good for airplanes of any type. We had our all day CAF meeting in Fort Worth today. We noe have about 70 members in the A-26 Invader Squadron. I am on a committee to help design squadron caps and a squadron patch. I had a good time, meeting new folks. I got to talk to Chuckie today. She owns the hangar that the Squadron meets in as well as the Vintage Flight Museum. Hopefully the A26 will be flown to Breckenridge next Sunday for repairs. The plane is expected to arrive at Meacham Field in Fort Worth by the end of June.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1394 on: April 03, 2011, 02:22:04 PM »
I did some research on the A-26 we are getting.  It was a drug smuggler plane, known by DEA, as the "Gray Ghost". It landed near Amarillo with one engine gone and some Grass on board. The Sheriff's Dept was unable to find the pilot. They confiscated it and the CAF bought it from Potter Co. in about  1978.  The CAF has a Lockeed Lodestar that crashed in West Texas with a load of Grass and It was purchased from a Sheriff's Dept. as well.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1395 on: April 03, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »
As much as I hate pot I guess in some strange way it was the reason you got a couple of good planes.  Funny how things work out...

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1396 on: April 03, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »
Amarillo is just one county south of my hometown, My Dad was still Sheriff in Dumas, I don't remember him saying anything about it back then.The cop in me think it's sorta funny.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #1397 on: April 03, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »
Best part of the movie "Always" (Holly Hunter & Richard Dreyfuss; a movie love story that spotlights forest fire jumpers, or "Fire Eaters."  Also, a good performance by John Goodman.) was that there were a few A-26 Borate Bombers, and a PBY featured.  The opening scene of the PBY skimming the water to load up before a drop, that scares the bejeezus out of a couple fishermen in a small rowboat when the PBY flies directly at them and raises up to miss them just a few feet above their heads is darn near worth the price of admission by itself!  If I were one of them, I know I'd be pretty impressed!

LOVE those A-26s!!
   (And PBYs, too. My Dad [Navy, WWII] said it was his favorite plane to fly.  When he died, my {now EX} Father-in-Law, who carved Dad's gravestone, carved a PBY to honor Dad.  It's beautiful.)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1398 on: April 04, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »
Heard a story about a diver that went missing for days.  They found him miles away in a forest that had recently burned.  The authorities figure he got a free plane ride (unbeknown to the pilot).  If you dive in a designated water drop you should bring a parachute.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1399 on: April 04, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »
It wasn't the plane ride that got him, it was that sudden stop after he jumped.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com