Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 769534 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1360 on: March 20, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »
Appreciate the education, SHB. Put that way it would figure for the locals. Don’t think they take ‘em too far when they put ‘em up so I doubt they’d put a full load in ‘em.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
AVIASTAR.ORG
« Reply #1361 on: March 21, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »
With the link below, you will be able pull up every airplane that was built in every country in the world and every aircraft company.  Want to check out almost any airplane ever built in the world?  Old, new, military, civilian?
Browse this site for a few minutes.  You will be amazed at what has been done in airplane design.  The amount of info available is unbelievable.  Virtual Airplane Museum.

http://www.aviastar.org/index2.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1362 on: March 21, 2011, 11:42:58 AM »
I know what I will be doin taday.  Thanks fer the link!
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #1363 on: Today at 11:42:01 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #1363 on: March 22, 2011, 11:32:42 PM »
The P39 had a driveshaft that ran between the prop and the engine.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #1364 on: March 23, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »
The P39 had a driveshaft that ran between the prop and the engine.

And betwixt the pilot's feet, too - didn't it?  Covered, of course, but a hump on the floor.

Or not ...

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1365 on: March 23, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
Yessir. That's the plane that my Dad wanted to fly when he joined the Air Corps, but he was 6'2" and was too tall for fighters. They made him a Bomber pilot.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1366 on: March 23, 2011, 01:34:03 PM »
Found this when I was lookin' to see if the museum had an image of their's online:

I was an even 6' at 18. Don't guess I'd have fit either. Time ta time a camera lens will distort stuff but lookin' at that layout, the cockpit couldn't have been but so big. The museum has a collection of flight suits on the second level. I looked at some 'n wondered if they really made guys that small in the 40's.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1367 on: March 23, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »
I visited the AF Museum at Wright-Patterson when I had a trip to Dayton to PU a Prisoner. It was an experience to visit there. I was in "hog heaven" up there.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1368 on: March 23, 2011, 02:58:50 PM »
My uncle Joe was built like my Dad, small enough ta stuff inta a tail gunner position.  The guys that got crammed in tanks weren't much bigger.  Most of the tall guys ended up in the Marines.  Six foot is (or was) a requirement to be a sea going Marine.    

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1369 on: March 23, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »
You also had to smaller to be a crew member on a WW2 submarine.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1370 on: March 23, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »
The old perforated steel planks that stuff sits on brings back memories. When I was a kid some relatives had a couple cottages in Nags Head (Carolina Outer Banks or OBX) near the Wright Memorial. Uncle Tommy was a Seabee ‘n knew the stuff well. Bought it surplus ‘n used it for driveways, walks ‘n such.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1371 on: March 23, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »
That stuff was their instant runways during the island hopping in the Pacific.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1372 on: March 23, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »
Marsden Matting ::) Bailing out of a '39 could be pretty hairy considering the cockpit entry/exit was a door like a car. That drive shaft between the legs is an impediment,too.
Ball turret gunners had to be basically built like jockeys, the same aas the tail gunners on 17's. After going through the Cod, I can see why crewmen had to be somewhat smaller as well.............Buck ::) :o
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1373 on: March 27, 2011, 03:22:05 PM »
I alway thought the P-39 was the A-10 of WWII.  One single heavy caliber gun, lots of armor, not too fast, and a born tank killer when it first came out.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1374 on: March 27, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
Mister Rod, I do believe they called them Tank Killers.  They weren't so good in a dog fight.

Roland Deschain

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #1375 on: March 27, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »
P-39 -  Went to Russia to be used in ground attacks - Russia's tank buster
P-47 - USA ground attact a/c - USA's tank buster
Stuka -  Germany's ground attack - tank buster
Japan - SOL

Urnst Udet was amazed with our Curtiss Hawks (The bi-planes) He urged the Germans to purchase one for testing. It was the Curtiss Goshawk, exports were called Goshawk II. Udet used this aircraft for dive bombing tests which eventually lead to the Stuka.

Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #1376 on: March 27, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »
I always thought those 'Hawks were cool lookin' "modern" biplanes.  (Modern = last types vs. the WWI & earlier types)  They sure could "dance" around nimbly in the sky!  They were a stunter's dream!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1377 on: March 27, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »
Some Hawk II's saw action in China but the Hawk III did see action in China!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1378 on: March 27, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
I received an e-mail from the A-26 Squadron Leader. The A-26 is stiill in Midland. They are waiting for the FAA to authorize them to fly from Midland to Breckenridge for repairs. Hopefully next weekend, they will be able to ferry the aircraft to Breckenridge.

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1379 on: March 27, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »

Note gun barrels just inside engine cowling

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com