Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 760455 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1700 on: January 24, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »
I'll bet it was!!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #1701 on: January 24, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »
SHB, We all need to remember that come November.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1702 on: January 25, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »
SHB, We all need to remember that come November.

Indeed!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #1703 on: Today at 06:50:48 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1703 on: January 26, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »
The A-26 is rescheduled to arrive at Meacham Field this Sunday, if everything goes okay on the preflight. No time has been listed for the arrival.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #1704 on: January 27, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52629

ya'll recognize the first poster in that first link?

http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/AirAmerica/Best/AirAmerica.htm

Jeffi this is the link I shared with you earlier

just some highlights on some of the past couple months worth of chatter here

Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1705 on: January 27, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »
That looks like Lawful Larry!

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1706 on: January 27, 2012, 08:31:38 PM »
... Or unLawful Rooster!

Litl Roo, old buddy, yep - I went over that one for quite a while when you messaged it to me.  I really didn't realize that Air America had so many different types there then or that MANY planes at all!

I flew in a Flying Tigers Lines 747 on my trip to Saudi.  If I heard right, they are somewhat "Left Over" from that whole operation.  It seems that Flying Tigers got their first planes FROM the CIA back in the late 60s or early 70s.

At least that is the story I got.  I've been wrong before.

Once.

Actually, I wasn't wrong, just merely mistaken.

::)

;D

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1707 on: January 28, 2012, 08:24:52 AM »
That CIA A-26 that the private group is restoring is coming along. I haven't been over to Meacham field since Christmas. I still haven't heard anymore on the arrival at Meacham field of the CAF A-26.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1708 on: January 28, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »
Those few A-26s built (by ON-Mark? I think) are to me the ultimate version.  The tip tanks for extended range, up-graded engines,  the 8 -gun (Ma Deuce) nose, with 3 more M-2s inboard on each wing and more (3 I think) M-2s in the wings outboard of the engines, PLUS, 2 or 3 pods full of nastiness hanging under EACH of the wings on hardpoints!  Whew!

I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a strafing run from one of THOSE!

And speaking of wingloads of nastiness, Litl Rooster, those Tweets could sure pack a wallop, too!  The Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio has an A37 on display that has all the bells & whistles, and hangy-down goodies on it, plus the wing tip-tanks like you posted about.   That is one cool plane!  Did you ever manage to wrangle a ride?  Cessna sure made/makes a good product!  Most folks don't realize that the company that makes the rather common, high-wing private planes that are so commonly seen in the skies over America and elsewhere also made #1) a military jet trainer, and #2) that they modified those "cute, little pocket-sized" jet trainers into a pretty successful small, bad-a$$ed attack jet that could strafe, drop bombs and/or napalm, or shoot a high-performance jet out of the sky using Sidewinders!  That's a lot of muscle rolled up and put into a tiny package!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1709 on: January 28, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »
I will try and get a picture of both of the A-26s as soon as I can. The weather should be in the high 50s or low 60s for tomorrow. The temp. got up to 50 for a high today.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1710 on: January 29, 2012, 07:55:39 PM »
The A-26 made it to Fort Worth sometime after 3 pm this afternoon. I wasn't able to go over to greet it today. I plan on going to visit the Museum this week and check it out. I have not seen it in several years.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1711 on: February 08, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »
Be great if the folks in Dayton 'n Kitty Hawk could get tagether 'n work somethin' out. I'd give to a fund but that's kinda selfish. I'm about an hour 'n a half away from the memorial. Pass by it every time I shoot ECSASS.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/02/wright-brothers-ohio-bike-shop-may-be-demolished
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1712 on: February 08, 2012, 11:54:33 AM »
That would be preferable to just destroying it ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1713 on: February 08, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
I would like for the Smithsonian Museum to aquire the property and preserve it for everyone to see enjoy a historic part of aviation history.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1714 on: February 08, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »
I'm being a pessimist, I know, but it'll never happen.  Americans are forgetting more and more History, and caring less & less.

If that weren't true, we wouldn't have the political problems we do.  Most folks don't give a rat's a .. - uh, patootie about anything except what they can grab for themselves.

History be damned.  Honesty and right be damned.  Gimme freebies.

Yeh - the eternal optimist (Me) is sadly losing his good feelings. 

And not enough folks want to pay the kind of money involved to keep some "old property" in good shape just because the guys who owned it pioneered flight ... which most can't afford to do!

Or not ....

I wish I was wrong.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1715 on: February 09, 2012, 05:55:04 AM »
True enough SHB.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1716 on: February 09, 2012, 08:07:14 AM »
Most who know me have no doubt I'm an admirer of old ships. Washington, BB-56, broken up in '61. West Virginia, BB-48, broken up in '59. Both are legendary having unique, true stories of triumph in the Pacific, WWII. Both gone forever and few know of their rich history.

For the record, I'd like to see the shop preserved where it stands. Like Buck, taking it away and reassembling it in Kitty Hawk would be preferable to razing and hauling it away in dump trucks to a landfill somewhere. In my post, I did want it clear my thoughts on relocation are a bit less than objective.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1717 on: February 09, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »
... Or unLawful Rooster!

Litl Roo, old buddy, yep - I went over that one for quite a while when you messaged it to me.  I really didn't realize that Air America had so many different types there then or that MANY planes at all!

I flew in a Flying Tigers Lines 747 on my trip to Saudi.  If I heard right, they are somewhat "Left Over" from that whole operation.  It seems that Flying Tigers got their first planes FROM the CIA back in the late 60s or early 70s.

At least that is the story I got.  I've been wrong before.

I rode a Flying Tiger 707 back in 1968 from SeaTac to Can Rahn.  Didn't know they were still around.

Once.

Actually, I wasn't wrong, just merely mistaken.

::)

;D

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1718 on: February 09, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »
Another scrapped that sticks in my craw was the carrier Enterprise..... :-\ >:(
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1719 on: February 09, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »
Unfortunately we can't saved them all. The CAF ran into that problem with no being able to save a lot of surplus WW2 aircraft.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com