Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 760416 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #1660 on: September 17, 2011, 06:05:51 AM »
It had been a xouple of years since they had a crash at Reno. The course is small and the planes fly too fast. It's a air race that has held for many years and there is a great fan following. The pilot did a great job to steer the plane out of harm's way as much as possible.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1661 on: September 17, 2011, 07:46:30 AM »
We've got a WW2 reunion over at Addison this weekend. They are honoring a B-29 outfit. "FIFI" will be there for tours today and tomorrow. They will be giving rides to the veterans tomorrow. It is neat to see these guys get in the plane for the first time since the War was over.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1662 on: September 17, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »
FYI for the 'cross-trained'

Jack Roush remembers close friend killed in Reno air race crash

The pilot killed in Friday’s crash at a Reno air race was a close friend of NASCAR car owner Jack Roush and had helped Roush through his two plane crashes.

Roush said he met Jimmy Leeward in the mid-1980s. Roush said Leeward was racing in one division of IMSA and Roush in another. As Roush worked on his car, Leeward came over and introduced himself. Roush knew of him and heard that Leeward had a P-51 airplane.

“I’ll have one of those one day,’’ Roush told Leeward.

When Roush bought his P-51 Mustang in 1994 and began flying it, Leeward joined him at Daytona and they flew together.

Their relationship grew.

Roush was severely injured in a plane crash in 2002 after hitting a wire and crashing into a Troy, Ala., lake where he was pulled out of the wreckage and water by a retired Marine trained in underwater search and rescues. Roush was flown to a Birmingham hospital.  “(Leeward) was the first person outside my immediate family that I saw,’’ Roush said.

After Roush’s plane crash last year in Wisconsin that cost him the vision in one eye, it was Leeward who supported his friend.  “I’ve got a trainer, a World War II aerial trainer that has two sets of controls and Jimmy was the first one to climb into the backseat of my P6 when I got back in the air,’’ Roush said. “We’ve always been that close. We’ve been very, very close.’’

Roush said he had talked to Leeward multiple times this week as Leeward competed in the events in Reno. Roush said he last talked to Leeward a day before the fatal crash that also killed at least four spectators.

“I’m doing all right,’’ Roush said of how he was handling the tragedy. “ I’m doing all right. I’m very sad.’’

Credit: http://hamptonroads.com/2011/09/jack-roush-remembers-close-friend-killed-reno-air-race-crash

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #1663 on: Today at 05:09:29 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1663 on: September 17, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »
I didn't know the pilot was that old, the news is saying that he may have blacked out. I am a big aviation fan, but the idea of watching planes flying 500 mph overhead really scares me. I'll watch them on TV, but not in person.

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1664 on: September 17, 2011, 10:17:09 PM »
Thanks Arcey for your link to Jimmy's story....'tis true of his character from what I've heard from here in Reno. True gentleman and willing to help anyone, and personable to his fans. Jimmy Leeward was in "perfect health" for flyin' yesterday..... He was 74yrs old. NTSB is all over this backround investigation as reported immediately from the scene, there were 3 reps from NTSB on site. He'd been a contestant of the Reno Air Races since '75 and loved the competition. He'd planned his strategy from early week and made his adjustments. He has a Facebook page and encouraged his fans to see he was up on technology.
The crash scene was horrific as the box seats lining the tarmac from the "east" side were mostly affected. We believe Jimmy was headed "straight for the bleachers" and pulled up to compensate. "The Ghost" didn't respond and took the fateful nosedive.
There are pics that the tail was coming apart at the seams which could have been the cause. We may never know....Officalis here believe it was mechanical and so does his family.
'Tis true Reno has the most challenging race course because of the speed...500MPH for Unlimilited classes we do have the mountain ranges to also consider, and yes they are tight. I watched the races from my sisters' front porch last year as they made their heats. I live on the "other side" of the mountain now and miss alot of the action.
I am 15mi away from the airport with Peavine mountain seperating my sis and I.
We grew up in a drag boat racing family...dad only racing 155mph but in a 18' flatbottom boat...V-drive and a 496 Chev and dry stacks and dual carbs. We were "child hired" pit crew...lol
I have witnessed many a horrific crash....blown fuel being the most unpredictable without "capsules" sometimes landing on the beach and sometimes coming part over water. Hitting the water at 200mph+ you hit the cement...it isn't forgiving.
NASCAR can have the same trials... some tracks are better than others as you know... I'm an ignoramous and freely admit it.
Don't wear out yer shirt collar lookin' fer the hindsight
~Eddie Adamek~ Trick Roper
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1665 on: September 18, 2011, 06:21:25 AM »
At the AirSho, when it was still held at Harlingen, I witnessed an Air Chase in person.  The CAF's plane, an A-10 Havoc(only one in existence) crashed with a full load of fuel. It ws simulating a bomb run. The pilot, who was in his 80's had a heart attack and crashed the plane. The plane burned. The pilot was doing what he loved. No spectators were injured. We have lost 2 other aircraft with crew members lost. A PBY Catalina in Matagorda Bay and the only B-26 near Midland.

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #1666 on: October 27, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »
Here's an interesting airshow,It was recorded sometime in 1945, it shows both American and German aircraft being flown. See how many you can identify... ;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAV6v0XKue8&feature=related[/youtube]
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #1667 on: October 27, 2011, 10:36:41 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for posting!

I'm just guessing, but the airfield DOES remind me of Wright Patterson A.B. near Dayton, Ohio.  And if that's true, some of those planes are STILL there in the US Air Force Museum!  (Of course, in 1945 it was still an Army Air Forces base - and no red stripe on the star 'n bar insignia.)

I also noticed that no-one had the cojones to tell the 4-Star (I can't remember his name) that there was ... and still is ... a No Smoking on the Flight Line rule!

And no, I wouldn't have told him, either!

::)

;D

Great airshow!  I'd like to have been there!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1668 on: October 28, 2011, 06:38:23 AM »
SHB, Did you notice the B-32 in some of the shots? Today, NONE of them exsist :-\

Could that 4-star have been Hap Arnold?.................Buck ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #1669 on: October 28, 2011, 08:06:42 AM »
Good Eye Buck, that's him
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1670 on: October 28, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »
I wasn't sure about Gen. Arnold.  That fellow didn't look like him to me, but it could be.  It would make sense.  But I still am not sure.

B-32 Dragon?   Yep, I saw it.

I also saw the Italian Macchi MC.202 Folgore (Thunderbolt).  It was one I referred to as still there at Wright Pat.  It's hanging from the ceiling in front of a great, nearly full-size painting of a bomber formation.  It's an awesome sight!!

VERY interesting bit of history!!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1671 on: October 28, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »
Freeman was a foreign evaluation field. There were a lot of low production Axis aircraft there.  There's a companion site for the Freeman Field Recovery team. They're looking for burial sites in the field area in hopes of finding parts of some of these aircraft that were destroyed after eval...............Buck ::)

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1672 on: October 29, 2011, 06:10:58 AM »
4 eyed Buck - where was that Freeman Field?  I asked Mr. Goofle for help but the best "Freeman" info I got back was for Drug Addiction Recovery!
 :o

I doubt that's it ...

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1673 on: October 29, 2011, 06:30:08 AM »
Not sure myself. Most of it is farmland now. I'll try to dig a little deeper ::)

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1674 on: October 29, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »
SHB, It's in your area, Seymour, IND. :o ::) ;)

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1675 on: October 29, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
In that case I'd guess it's a mall or something useful like that now.
 :P

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1676 on: October 29, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
Doesn't seem like it, SHB. One entry in their site said they had to wait for a farmer to havest his corn. So I'm guessing it's still a rural area. I'll try to get the URL for their FaceBook site up for you. ::)

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1677 on: October 29, 2011, 04:15:14 PM »

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1678 on: October 29, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
Thnx - Do I have to sign in to F/B to see the piece?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1679 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:46 PM »
OK - I signed in and "page not found"

I'l try by accessing the site directly.  Thanks for the link, 4EB.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com