Author Topic: Cimarron 1858 Rem Conversion question  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Dyess Scout

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron 1858 Rem Conversion question
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:45:59 PM »
I'm looking at buying one of these in 45LC. My question is, can I still put a cap and ball 44cal cylinder on this model? I want a 1858 New Army, but I'm debating if I should go with a Conversion or get a standard New Army and buy and 45LC R&D conversion cylinder.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Cimarron 1858 Rem Conversion question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »
Can the 45LC Remmie conversion be used as cap'n'bal?  Possibly.

The first samples made by Uberti had both cylinders, and some articles were written and ads produced indicating that it wouild be a convertible.  However, when they went into production, Uberti did not fit a percussion cylinder so they were cartridge only.  The cylinders and frames of the conversions are slightly bigger than the cap'n'ball '58's in order to be able to produce it in a six-shot 45LC version without tapering the cylinder holes, so a standard '58 percussion cylinder will not fit.  Uberti did produce some of the larger sized percussion cylinders and Cimarron has them on the shelf, but they have not been fit to guns.  You can order one of these percussion cylinders but it will have to be fit to the gun which I understand is difficult to do and have the gun work well as both cartridge and percussion.

I imagine it was a decision based on cost to not sell the guns with both cylinders, since the extra cylinder and the time to fit it would have raised the price and many purchasers wouldn't particularly want to shoot it as percussion.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »
Abilene knows  ;)

For myself...I have one of the Forged Frame Conversions ...It is a GREAT gun.....
If you buy, a C&B Uberti and a Drop-in Cyl. (both NIB) you will spend about the same as the New Forged frame Conversion.

That being said and you want a pair you might want one of each... or if you have a C&B Remy now get a Drop-in and then grab yourself one of these  ;D  ( yeah thats mine )
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:56:46 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com