Author Topic: New to the site and just got my first Spencer  (Read 2000 times)

3KY

New to the site and just got my first Spencer
« on: December 25, 2008, 12:38:40 AM »
I just picked up an original M1860 Spencer Carbine. I always wanted one since they are my fav weapon of the Civil War. I'm kinda poor so was very lucky to pick up a cheep carbine. Its not mint and shows some use. It is missing the front sight and has a crack in the buttstock. Bore is in very nice shape almost bright and shiny with no pitts. Good strong rifling. Sadly someone scratched the outside of the barrel with sandpaper but thank god not too bad. So I think I'm going to have the stock crack repaired by a good gunsmith and see if its safe to shoot. If it is I'll research on here about the conversion breechblock. I also need to figure what caliber it is. Looks like it was relined after the war. You can see a ring on the muzzle and it has the late tube. It is a M1860. I'll post its serial number later to see if anyone knows what unit carried it as well as some pictures. Be fun to try it out since I never shot one of these nor seen one shoot.
Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Michael

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: New to the site and just got my first Spencer
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 05:08:27 AM »
3KY,

Welcome to SSS.  Please post photos of your Spencer.  If you can't, send them to me at fsgrand2@fairpoint.net and I will post them for you and add them to your original text/first post.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

3KY

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »
Thanks I'll do that this weekend. I am at my brothers and don't have my Spencer here. It's not too bad but not too good either. Only Spencer I have seen come up for sale in my area. I found two more in another town but don't have the money for those. One is a 1860 and the other is a 1864. They are asking 2500 for one and 3200 for the other. I paid 1200 for mine and found out I got it cheep. I hope it is good enough shape to shoot.
Michael Hale

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:00:15 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com