Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 14, 2017, 01:27:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  RATS (Moderator: Mustang Gregg)  |  Topic: .32ACP&Etc. Ruger New Model Single Six. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: .32ACP&Etc. Ruger New Model Single Six.  (Read 2327 times)
Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« on: October 21, 2016, 09:23:15 pm »

This year (September 2016) I acquired a used Ruger New Model Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum for use in a Project.
It has a 5-5/8 inch barrel (nominal 5-1/2 inch) so it is shorter than my '.25ACP Project revolver.

My intent is to use this revolver for Testing Development loads for .32 size cartridge sin two families: S&W with a body diameter of 337 inch; and Colt with a body diameter of .318 inch.

Initially my gunsmith and I will be reworking two .22 "RF" cylinders to verify if my intentions are feasible.
After re-cutting and other modifications to chamber a Stainless Steel (SS) one in .32 Long Colt size.
A separate Blued Alloy Steel Cylinder will be re-cut for .32ACP to check margins.

If these Prove out the dimensions and margins, then we will modify the Frame/Barrel and original .2 H&R Mag. cylinder to b interchangeable for use.

Other cartridges contemplated for fitted cylinders are:
  for .318" diameter;
- .32 Extra Short.
- .32 Short/.32 Short Colt
- .32 Extra Long.

for .337" diameter;
- .32 S&W.
- .32 S&W Long.
- .327 Fed. Mag (modified as the factory loads will NOT fit the modified Frame/Forcing cone Window).

Cases for the Colt family not commercially available will be made from ,32 S&W, .32 S&W long/special, .32 H&R, and .327FM parent brass. by swaging diameters and trimming lengths.

Anyone have suggestions on this Project?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.
Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:57:21 pm »

Today my gunsmith pushed a Slug thru the revolver bore and we measured it as having a Bore of .303" diameter and Grooves of .312" diameter.
This is a 1985 build Ruger New Model Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum chambering.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 07:22:48 pm »

My New Badge mounted in My New Modified Badge Wallet:

I now have Three Stainless Steel Alloy Ruger 6-shot Cylinders and one Blued steel one to use in cutting .32 Colt Sized Chambers into, along with .32 S&W sized chambers in the Blued one.

My gunsmith is due back in the shop this week so I will be talking to him about Work schedules soon.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

rbertalotto
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 08:39:36 am »

Man, When you get into a project, you really jump in both feet! I remember following your Stevens projects with great interest.

You say you might pursue 32Colt long and short. Good luck finding brass. I have a 1885 Winchester LowWall and a Marlin Model 32 both  in 32 Colt Long. Only brass I could find is a fellow on Gun Broker is resizing 32 S&W Long to 32 Colt Long and I was able to buy two bags of brand new Winchester 32 Colt Short brass at an auction for $60 a bag.

Heel type bullets are available from various sources or you can order a mold from many of the custom mold makers.

The Marlin Model 92 is getting rechambered to 32 S&W Long and the 1885 is getting relined and will be a 32-20.

Thanks for sharing all of this with us!

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544
Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:36 pm »

RE: Brass.
Starting with New Empty .32 S&W Short, Long, H&R Mag., or .327 Fed. Mag. Brass cases and supporting the primer pocket with an RCBS Primer Pocket Swage Punch, I push the Parent case in to a ".32 Long/Short Colt" Carbide Sizing Die all the Way to the top of the Rim.  This reduces the Body and Base to about .318"-.320" Diameter.  I then use an old "Hollywood Engineering" Steel "32 Colt" Sizing Die to reduce the Body and base to .316" Diameter.  This leaves a small 'roll' of displaced Brass above the Rim which I trim off in a Lathe.

The Results are .32 Colt Diameter Cases that just need trimming to length, and the Flash hole Verified burr free and of correct diameter.

Not Difficult to do using my RCBS "RC" Reloading Press with a handle from a "Ammomaster II"' installed on it.
The Lathe is in a Friend's Special Effects Shop.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 03:41:34 pm »

I have been Buying spare  Single six 6-shot cylinjders to have re-cut to .32 Size Chambers (both S&W and Colt sizes) and received one Stainless Steel Ruger one that looked "pitted" so I inspected it with a ten Power Loope and "OH MY!"   

The pitting looks like Casting Blow Holes with most of them machined off but one is VERY SCARY as it extends from the rim rebate into the Outer Wall of the Chamber!
This cylinder looked like it had not had any cartridges fired in it but did have a Partial Serial number electric Pencil engraved on the front face.  This would indicate it WAS fitted by Ruger to a Particular Revolver.

I took the suspect cylinder to my "local gunshop" and discussed it with the owner.  Then I Left it with him to see if he could negotiate a Replacement/Exchange with Ruger.  Now I am waiting for word of his results.

Strange as Ruger Told me over the telephone that their Stainless Steel Cylinders are made from Bar Stock, not castings.
Ruger would not tell me the Alloy; but did say it is a Weldable Alloy.

Best Regards,
Chev. William R.A.T.S. #736

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 05:10:31 pm »

It is now April 21st and still no reply from Ruger to my Local gun shop about the BAD Stainless Steel Cylinder.

In the Interim I have handed my Gunsmith all my 6-shot Used Cylinders along with my Ruger .32 H&R Magnum Single Six Revolver to have the Replacement cylinders machined to fit my Frame for future use.

I am NOT having the Revolver Modified at this time.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
R.A.T.S. #736

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:35:26 am »

I now Have in my hands the First Stainless Steel Used .22 Magnum Cylinder Re-machined and Chambered For 32 Colt (Long) Cartridges.  It Still has the Ruger Roll Marked Logos And Legends on it so I will need to get it Engraved With ".32LC" at some point.

The Revolver And other Cylinders Are still with my Gunsmith, and he is going to remake one of the Blued Steel  6 shot ones into a .32ACP cylinder for this same revolver.

On a Separate Note:  I spent The Third Week of November 2017 Removing MALWARE from my Home computer that had acted like a 'Denial of Use' attack, Using up 100 percent of The Computer processing time repeatedly Cycling through a program it would NOT directly Report.
It did not seem to be "Ransomware" but WAS Very Difficult for me to remove.  I am Hoping Such Infection does NOT reoccur!

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 04:38:31 pm »

I told my gunsmith to Set back the barrel on my .32 H&R Mag Ruger Single Six to match up to the custom reamed replacements of .22 Magnum Parentage and cut back the face of the original .32 H&R Mag. cylinder to match up to the New forcing cone position.

He replied he MAY have some of my Projects done by end of the Month, sounds like near Christmas, Hope, Hope, Hope!

Best regards for the Christmas and New Year Holiday Season,
Chev. william

dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:44:25 pm »

Thanks for sharing your progress Chev.    Merry Christmas and Happy New Yr. ,,,DT
rbertalotto
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:20:07 am »

Interesting!

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  RATS (Moderator: Mustang Gregg)  |  Topic: .32ACP&Etc. Ruger New Model Single Six. « previous next »
Jump to: