Author Topic: Muzzle blast muffler  (Read 5600 times)

38-72

Muzzle blast muffler
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:45:10 AM »
I am looking for plans on how to build a noise suppression box (sort of muffler) that will cut down the muzzle blast noise when I fire my rifle.  I’m not looking for a silencer or anything else that attaches to the barrel.  In my mind’s eye, I envision a short box or tunnel with baffling (or??) to absorb the blast noise, but I have no idea if this would work.

I have a safe place to shoot, but I do not want to annoy the neighbors. 

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Offline Goatlips

• Top Active Citizen
    • Goatlips' BlackPowder Tips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Muzzle blast muffler
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:31:33 PM »
38-72,

I have no personal knowledge whatsoever on this subject but I saw a picture of a tube made out of old tires that was supposed to cut down the noise. Ya shot through the tunnel of tires.  Was about 12 feet long. Let us know if you find any better answers!

Goatlips
Wolverine Rangers/Lake County Pistoleros
Visit my Blackpowder site:
http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

http://goatlips.hrillc.com/goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html

width=200 height=30]http://www.cascity.com/layoutimages/mycascityprofile.gif[/img][/url]

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:19:27 AM »
The hard part in doing this would be to not interfere with sighting.  That would make it poinless.  The only compromise I've ever found in cutting down on noise is ta practice with a .22, but I know that's just not the same.  But ya got me curious now.  Hope ta see some answers.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:05:15 PM »

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:09:43 PM »
just another idea

if you've got a safe place to shoot then your probably tryin to keep the noise from going behind you or to the sides,  a simple way would be a 3 sided small building to shoot out of,  you'd have the freedom to shoot like you want but the sound should project forward and cut down much from going behind or to the sides.  or make it 4 sided and have a window that lifts to shoot out of.

course it's gonna be noisy inside, but you'll probably have ear plugs or muffs on.

I'm thinking anything you try to shoot through or any box you shoot thorugh will not satisfy your needs,  it's just gonna be unhandy

We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »
Back in the 90's there was an article about a guy who built one out of plywood and fiberglass insulation.  Was in one of the Handloaders Digest.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:33:06 PM »
While I'm sure that some noise could be cut down on relatively easily with some sort of baffle system to shoot through, even with a big enough hole (ie the tires lined up in a row would present a large apperature) that would allow for the barrel and the sights to be inserted, there is still the problem, I assume, of the sonic boom of a supersonic bullet.  Mind you I'm not stating this as fact from personal experience, I'm just assuming.  Of course you know what that does for you and me... ::)  I have shot .22 rimfires through a series of three 12z15x24 (approximately) boxes, just boxes with large (about 5 or 6 inch) oval holes cut at either end, with the muzzle in the first box, and normal report was greatly diminished.  Something bigger (ie a .38 or a .44 handgun) would have moved things around with the muzzle blast (again, an assumption)  It's a thought I've often pondered, but not really experimented with beyond the boxes and a .22. What I didn't say, by the way is that the shells were subsonic.  A Ruger single six with a 43/4 barrel was significantly louder fired through the same box set up.
Jamie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com