Author Topic: Moon Clips?  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Jersey Jones

• Gun for Hire
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Moon Clips?
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:42:24 PM »
Okay here is a question for some of you more enlightened than I.
I was perusing a Midway catalog and came across the 45ACP Moon Clips.

Question...

On the OM Ruger Vaquero, what keeps you from removing the cylinder and using the 45acp w/ said moon clip and reinstall?
Is there some obvious reason you can't that I seem to be missing?

I was thinking it would be 'like' a conversion cylinder on a B&C pistol.

???
Thanks,

~JJ

“Well, we come for justice not vengeance. Now, them is two different things.” - Boss Spearman.
RATS #398

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Moon Clips?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 06:25:44 AM »
Hey, JJ, for a revolver that uses moon clips, there would have to be more space between the rear of the cylinder and the recoil shield.
I used to have a S&W M 625  that utilised moon clips to carry the .45ACP cartridges which have no rim as I am sure you are aware.
I cut down some .45 Colt cases, as an experiment, and found that the rim was too thin and the hammer did not reach the primer.
I then discovered some .45 AutoRim that fitted perfectly, they had a lot thicker rim.
The full moon clips work superbly in the correct application, see the videos of Jerry Michalek, when he demo's his fast reloading.

Hope this helps, UKshooter.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:24:38 PM »
I can't for the life of me figure out what problem you are trying to solve.  The reason they came up with moon clips during WWI was so that the empties could be ejected from double action revolvers with flip open cylinders since the ejector stars would not catch the rimless cases.  On Single actions the ejector rod will knock out the empties.  Ruger cylinders for .45 ACP headspace on shoulders inside the cylinder just like a .45 Auto.  There is no room for a moon clip.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:58:18 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com