Author Topic: It's time to start re-making westerns...  (Read 6400 times)

Big Hext Finnigan

It's time to start re-making westerns...
« on: February 04, 2005, 09:51:13 AM »
Yes, even the classics!

I was watching Winchester 73 the other day and my 13 year old hated the old black and white and some of the "hokey" acting.  But he thought the story was cool, when I described it to him.

There are too many great stories that are being held in a vault, that need to be re-told with updated acting, effects and camera work.  It's not that they would be better than the movies of the past, but they would get watched.  If we want to get the younger folks interested in the morals, the history and the cowboy way, then we need to get the stories out there.

For example, I think "The Shootist", with Mel Gibson as Books would be excellent AND it would get younger folks in the groove.

I have been resistant to the remake idea for a while, but folks.. it's the only way.. cause the new westerns out there ain't that good of a story.

Adios,

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: It's time to start re-making westerns...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »
I agree with ya, but the temptation with remaking some of the old black & whites is to show all the gory details of the gunfights such as blood spurting, etc. I want Westerns that my kids can watch and not have nightmares.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Second Creek Sam

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 05:29:36 PM »
I dunno Big Hext Finnegan.

Those old B&W films are a part of of our history.  The acting in many is far superior to that of today. The Searchers, the Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Treasure of the Sierra Madre come to mind.

On the other hand I prefer Tom Selleck's Monte Walsh to Lee Marvin's.

Some of the classics were remakes(e.g. The Three Godfathers was made two times prior to the superior John Wayne/Pedro Armendariz/Harry Carey, Jr. version  There were several versions of the Maltese Falcon before Humphrey Bogart nailed the part as Sam Spade).

So, as you can see, I'm torn.

If the remakes were big budget, "A" pictures without the inherent liberal need to belittle heroes, I might say yes.  If they merely substitute high-tech special effects for good story lines/acting as often happens; then I'd be opposed to any remakes of the "Classics".
“The function of wisdom is to discriminate between good and evil.”
- Cicero

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:43:47 AM »

Offline Uncle Eph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Never trust anything designed after 1912
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 06:58:04 PM »
I have said this before, but I still think it is a good idea.  the two movie versions of Monte Walsh have both just taken a couple of chapters from the book, I would like to see a good mini series done following the entire book; if ever there was a book written for a mini series it is Monte Walsh.

WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 01:09:02 PM »
Remaking some of the old black & white westerns is a great idea, but the problem is there aren't enough actors who know how to play cowboys.  All the old ones are gone.  Roy, Hoppy, Gene, The Duke and a few others.  What you have now days are actors that take a part 'cause they need the money. Many of them don't give a damn whether they can play a cowboy, or not and they don't do any research on what a real cowboy was like.  All they are are cowboy wannabe's!  They don't put any soul, or realism into their part.  They memorize the script and do their lines...yadda yadda.  Some of the actors of today are good at being a cowboy, but most of them stink!

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 08:51:07 AM »
I'm more or less in favor of it as well, but frankly would rather see NEW Westerns come out...But Hext, you've got to be kidding...the only person to remake "The Shootist" would be Sam Elliot as J. B. Books..(and possibly his real-life wife  Katherine Ross as "Bond. Rogers"..)

Who would do some of the other remakes is problem...as Arapho Kid pointed out, there really ain't any good "Western" actors coming up...Is this due to modern acting, or is due to the fact that few Westerns are made any more?

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 09:16:38 AM »
No I'm not kidding..Frankly, Sam Elliott doesn't have the range, nor the box office appeal.
The idea is for MORE people to watch the movies, not the same ol bunch of stiffs.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 10:19:21 AM »
It's my guess that Westerns are a kind of thing of the past and the general public isn't all that interested in them anymore.  They had their place and time, but now that's gone and we move along. I, personally, would like to see a few, good quality, Westerns come out.  There are some actors that could do a cowboy roll quite well.  Harrison Ford comes to mind.  I'm thinking that he could make his part look quite real.  I think part of the problem now is the general public attitudes in that they really don't give a damn about the Old West.  They could care less what it was like to be a cowboy in the 1880's, or stories based on fact from the Old West.  They are more interested in "now" than they in "back then".  Kind of like:  "Who cares about what it was like to be a cowboy...lets focus on what it's like to be a dope pusher, or a cop!".  It think it runs in spurts like TV.  There was a time where the channels were flooded with cop shows.  Then it's Sit Coms.  I can remember a time when Westerns were prominent on TV.  Every week it was Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, Have Gun - Will Travel, and a few others.  Every network was carrying Westerns.  Then they faded for other interests.

So about all we can do is hope Hollyrude will come up with a few, good quality Westerns.  As we all know...there are probably a bazillion stories that came out of the Old West.

Offline Cheyenne

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 06:04:50 PM »
Well, in new movies, with newer story lines, I liked The Missing.  Now, it had it's moments where you go HUH??? but for the most part it was a good flick, and I liked the idea of using correct Apache dialect with sub titles.

What's interesting, in all the pre-release media stuff, and interviews, NO ONE ADMITTED IT WAS A WESTERN! They side stepped that question, calling it a 'suspense' thiller, etc. So, to most right thinking folks, it's a western, but to hollywierd, it was a suspense thiller.  ::)
Well..........Bye!

Offline Cheyenne

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 06:07:29 PM »
As to the Shootist.....Tom Selleck would be getting old enough to play it.

One I'd like to see done, and done right, is the Searchers, again, I think Selleck could pull it off.....hardest parts to cast would be Reverand-Captain Sam Clayton, and Ol' Mose!  :D
Well..........Bye!

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 06:16:26 PM »
I think Selleck could pull off just about anything, cowboy speaking!  As for the character acters, you are right.  That kind of humor such as those you listed does not exist any more.  :(
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 03:32:08 PM »
I'm kind of neutral on the remaking of old westerns.  Some were quite good, but there are many of the old ones that had terrible acting and didn't use correct vintage equipment.  I would like to see any remakes concentrate on historical accuracy in dress, hair styles, and equipment.  Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot are two of my favorite actors for western roles, but I also have to include Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall. I think their portrayals of Gus MacCray and Woodrow Call were excellent.

John

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 10:36:13 PM »
I'd like to see "Rio Bravo" remade, and yes, they'd have to include the scene where they sing "Purple Light in the Canyon."

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2005, 05:09:39 AM »
Whoa Pards, First leave The Shootist alone....Elliot and Selleck are great cowboy actors. This was John Waynes finest moment. He played his own death. Secondly I believe there are alot of find actors and actress's that could do western movies out there but they don't have the appeal to overall puplic, and why they are not made. Movie making is business, and the producers want a profit. It's not about a bunch of Pistolero's like us sitting around yerning for the old days. Our dollars to them wouldn't cover production cost these days...So they make other action adventures.

It's not that I don't want new westerns and I do feel  some of the old ones could be remade, but I feel it is not going to be many released for the BIG Silver Screens.

I also agree the B/W's are part of History, Ted Turner has added enough color to the old films and should have his hands smacked..I loved Tye a Yellow Ribbon in B/W it's lost it's appeal with color.

Now I will pull my curtins closed so you guys can't get a shot off at me ;D...Just my opinion
Mathew 5.9

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 06:57:56 PM »
I agree with you LR.  It is true that there just isn't enough call right now for silver screen sagebrush dramas to bring in the big bucks.  <sigh>  :(

Things can change, though.  What we can do is support the movies that are made by watching them in the Theater or on TV when they are released and buying the DVD's/Tapes.  (Of course... this is big talk from a person who usually buys his DVDs used!  ::)   Did buy open range new, though!! )
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com