Author Topic: APP FFFg in 12 ga Shotshells?  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Coyote Roper

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
APP FFFg in 12 ga Shotshells?
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:20:11 PM »
I "inherrited" 3 lb of pretty new 3F APP, would it be ok to use in 12ga shotshells?  I already have loads that I use for my rifle/pistols.

I keep reading about how it has lower pressures than the other BP subs but I think that the majority of what I have read says that 3F shouldn't be used in shotguns.

I would use it for cowboy action in a modern SxS.

Would I be ok using this powder?

Thanks
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: APP FFFg in 12 ga Shotshells?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:14:07 PM »
I have not used APP in my shotgun loads but have used Pyrodex P and FFFg Goex in shotgun loads and they work fine. The shotgun is pretty forgiving, especially if you shoot fairly mild loads like about 60grs (volume) and 3/4-1 oz shot. If I had inherited the APP it would either go into my pistols or the shotgun. I would hesitate to load up some big 3" mag goose loads with APP.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:19:33 PM »
APP will work in a shotgun whether its 3f or 2f.  Not enough difference in performance to worry about.  While everyone's expericence with BP and the subs is a little different, I personally don't like APP in shotguns.  Works OK in rifle and pistol ammo, but it doesn't develop enough pressure with many shotshell load combinations to seal reliably and creates dust in the chamber.  The dust makes shucking empty shells difficult.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:13:34 AM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 10:41:27 PM »
With shotshell reloading, if you use a cup shaped plastic gas seal over powder wad (or a one piece plastic wad) you will get a better powder seal and less blowby that can scorch the hulls. If APP is such a low power propellant then maybe a heavier load will develop enough pressure to swell the case for a better seal. Everybody's mileage varies so a little testing will be needed to see what works best.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 11:08:42 PM »
I've been using ffg APP in STS hulls with fiber wads for a few years.  Haven't noticed any low pressure problems and the hulls fall out of my 1889 Remington and Liberty II as long as I dont try to reload them too many times.  After 3 or 4 reloads, the outsides get scorched and have a tendency to stick.

YMMV

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 06:09:49 PM »
 I have used both ffg and fffg APP in 12 gauge shells with fiber wads no problems with pressure...Just not enough smoke and fire for my likin's
Mathew 5.9

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 07:10:12 AM »
I use APP 3F and load a Lee 2.8cc (about 37 gr) dipper and 1 1/8 oz shot in a CB pink wad all packed into AA or STS hulls.  Mild kick that's easy on my surgically repaired shoulder. Hulls drop out of my TTN SxS.

Regards

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:56:39 AM »
Recently I acquired some APP for a good price and thought I'd shoot it up by making light loads with lots of powder for the billows of smoke. So I put about 90grs (volume) and about 7/8 oz shot. MAN! Did they KICK! it surprised me. Usually BP is pretty soft on the shoulder but not that stuff. Lots of smoke but not worth it. It had a sudden sharp recoil compared to BP. Glad I only loaded up 1 box.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »
Fingers:  Greetings, if you just run those scortched hulls through a good buffing wheel, you can smooth them up and get another 3-4 loadings out of them. Had that suggested to me by the cheapest shooter I know...my wife. Doggone it, I hate it when she comes up with something of that nature that works.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com