Author Topic: Rhubarb  (Read 7506 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rhubarb
« on: October 26, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
I was given a can of British rhubarb in light syrup.  What do I do different than I would with fresh rhubarb?

Any simple recipes would be appreciated, too.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »
I was given a can of British rhubarb in light syrup.  What do I do different than I would with fresh rhubarb?

Any simple recipes would be appreciated, too.

Not much you wouldn't do with fresh, but you'll have to thicken the juice, most likely will be like applesauce or it is when I can it.

Now I;ll have to dig through some cookbooks for ya pard, not problem. :)

Make a pie, make a dump cake, cobbler or crisp.  But you know I have to find a recipe to help more than that since I don't really use them. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »
Can I use it instead of apples for a crisp, and what would I do different?

Use ruhbarb. ;D  Test it for sweetness, if they didn't sweeten it watch out. ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:16:58 AM »

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:54:23 AM »
I think you got the gist of it Forty Rod, use it as you would apples. In a pie, a flan with pectin or my favorite, rhubarb crumble with hot custard.
As you said, test for sweetness.
Just stewed works wonders the next morning(if you get my drift).

UKshooter
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 10:44:43 AM »
From the can (Syrup was what we'd call "Packed In Water") 1/4 cup of sugar + a dab, handful of dried cranberries, handful of dried tart cherries, half a handful of black raisins.

Heated to a boil, reduced to a covered simmer for 30 minutes.

Reheated to serve warm, not hot.

Going out to buy more, because I'd forgotten how good it can be.  Gonna try some in a crisp, hot with ice cream.

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 06:16:27 AM »
Forty Rod, you've got me confusticated: what is a crisp that you mention?
Over here a crisp is what you call potato chips.
Potato chips in Britain are what you call 'french fries' which we don't consider to be chips anyway because they are too thin and weedy.
I assume you mean a sweet dessert of some kind, so could you please enlighten me, pretty please?

Your hungry pal, UKshooter.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 08:55:57 AM »
talking about rhubarb and not an Orr in sight, now that's incredibile... :o
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 08:59:03 AM »
I'm not 40 Rod but I stayed in the barracks at Ft. Hartsuff. ;D

A crisp over heare is similar to a cobbler, but has an oatmeal/brownsugar type crust.

Now if were lucky a cobbler over there is like a cobbler here. ;D  Language barrier, pard, language barrier.

BTW I have a friend from yer side of the pond on a dog forum, I'm teachin' him to speak western, and he's teachin' me to speak like an English country gentleman, I must say I is a better teacher. ::) ;D :)

talking about rhubarb and not an Orr in sight, now that's incredibile... :o

Was my thought also.  Come spring the Orr brothers seek out the most sincere rhubarb patch and wait for The Great Rhubarb. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »
I like Strawberry-Rhubarb preserves, never tried anything else with Rhubarb.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »
I'm not 40 Rod but I stayed in the barracks at Ft. Hartsuff. ;D

A crisp over heare is similar to a cobbler, but has an oatmeal/brownsugar type crust.

Now if were lucky a cobbler over there is like a cobbler here. ;D  Language barrier, pard, language barrier.

Exacatically right.  (See, I can speak English, too.  :D).  The kind of cobbler that Del is talking about had nothing to do with shoes or boots.  Kind of like Dutch apple pie without the botton crust.  I'll see if I can find a recipe to send you.

Okay, this one will work.  Subtitute the apples and lemon juice for a can of rhubarb, a handful of tart dries cherries, and a handful of dried cranberries.  The nuts are optional.  I didn't have any for mine, and it turned out great without them.

I boiled the rhubarb, cherries, cranberries and sugar together in the juice from the canned rhubarb.  Check it to see if you have enough sugar.  Rhubarb, tart cherries, and cranberries can put a pucker on you that won't go away for a week or more. Let it simmer covered for a half hour while you prepare the other stuff.  Cold butter didn't work for me, had to soften it a bit.

I don't butter or grease my baking dish.  Just pour the fruit mix in while it's still hot and layer the rest over the top.

Ingredients:
3 pounds tart apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup rolled oats
4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Preparation:
Peel, core and chop the apples; toss in a bowl with lemon juice. In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to the apples and toss to combine.
In another bowl combine flour, sugar and oats. Cut butter into 8 small pieces, and cut butter into flour with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture is crumbly. Stir in the chopped nuts.

Butter a 9-inch square baking dish. Spread apple mixture in bottom of baking dish then sprinkle with flour mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 to 45 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned.

Serve warm or at room temperature, with vanilla ice cream or a little heavy cream, if desired.

Caramel topping works great with apples, too, but I found out it's sort of nasty with rhubarb.

Enjoy.  Let me know how it turns out.

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 09:52:55 AM »
Thanks for that FR, your "crisp" sounds very like our "crumble", just slightly different spices or flavorings.
If I can get my missus to make one using your recipe, I will report back.
Not that I can't look after myself, but she has proved over the last forty odd years that she has the legs on me for cooking ability (and it tastes a whole lot better, which I can't quite understand when using the same cookbook).

UKshooter

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 10:29:43 AM »
UK,

Ya wanna cobbler receipt (I can’t spell recipe right) run down ta Tall Tales, get on the November Whutever thread ‘n just yell out ya want the receipt.

There’s a couple three what post there who consider cobbler ‘n ice cream as a dietary necessity. Tell ‘em I sent ya.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »
UK,

Ya wanna cobbler receipt (I can’t spell recipe right) run down ta Tall Tales, get on the November Whutever thread ‘n just yell out ya want the receipt.

There’s a couple three what post there who consider cobbler ‘n ice cream as a dietary necessity. Tell ‘em I sent ya.

We should see if Sleep would post that recipe here if Miz Annie don't mind.

When I make cobbler for the masses I use a slightly wet bisquit dough with a bunch a brown sugar added. I pat out the dough and lay it on top of the fruit in the dutch oven.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »
‘Course, I can’t speak fer Miz Annie but I don’t think she’d mind. She’s a very gracious lady.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 02:02:21 PM »
‘Course, I can’t speak fer Miz Annie but I don’t think she’d mind. She’s a very gracious lady.

I think of it now and then, but then my mind slips like the clutch of a pick-up with a leaky rear main. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 11:24:17 PM »
Sure do miss Annie.   :( 

Son of a gun when I went looking for her recipe.  The forum went belly up a couple weeks ago.  :(
I knows I have paper copies around here somewhere, but can't remember where I put them.   :(
The only one I do have I fidgeted with the sugar and butter amounts so it's no longer the original.  :(
When ya gots the type II, an active gall bladder and high triglycerides, it happens.  Always gotta futz around with a good recipe.  :(  I'll keep looking and will post it unless someone else finds their's first.

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 11:38:56 PM »
Okay, found it.  It's called Miz Annie's World Famous Cobbler.

Melt 3/4 stick butter in a 9x13 glass baking dish.  It's a lot of butter.  ;D

Combine:
1C sugar
3/4C flour
2t baking powder
3/4C milk

Mix till smooth.

For the fruit filling, you can use 1 can of any fruit pie filling or make your own.

You'll need:
3C fruit, diced or sliced
1/4 to 1/2C sugar, can vary with sugar intake requirements
juice of up to 1/2 lemon
1/4t salt

Heat it up till fruit is just soft.  Can add spices at this point if desired.  Usually a little cinnamon will do.  Don't overcook.  Can add some corn starch if you want to keep the "syrup" but want it thickened.  I do this. 

Now, pour batter into buttered baking dish.  Pour fruit over batter.  Do not mix anything. 
Bake in 350 for 45 minutes. 

Serve warm topped with ice cream.   :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com