Author Topic: Winchester 94AE  (Read 7990 times)

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 94AE
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:06:14 AM »
Does anyone use the 94AE for comps and if so, any tuning tips. (Cal.38/357)
When I try to cycle it quickly, it flips the rounds up to jam against the top rim of the breech.
Can this part be safely relieved (radiused, bevelled,what have you) or is there a bullet shape (it's hitting on the flat point) that would stop this problem?

HELP!!! UKshooter.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Winchester 94AE
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
There's not a lot to 'do' to the Winchester '94AE.

Mostly, a thorough cleaning and possible de-burring is about it - along with the removal of a coil or two on the spring.

The 'problem' is the fact that the Model 1894 action was originally built for a rifle-length cartridge, and the correspondingly shorter revolver cartridges have a helluva long way to travel before feeding and ejecting, and any attempts at speed exacerbates the problem.

The Model 1892 was built for the revolver length rounds, and works fine with them.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:43:12 PM »
Thanks St. G, I'll just try to put some 'wear' on it then and hope for the best. I got it in the hope of being able to use lighter loads in it better than trying to download my Marlin .44 mag (which cycles smoooooth).
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:24:15 PM »

Offline Whiskey Hayes

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:20:22 PM »
I've got a .357 94AE that runs very reliably with 158 grn RNFP bullets in .357 cases.  I recommend .357 cases.  With .38 cases if action is worked slowly it wants to stove pipe.  Work the action fast and hard.  I've had mine for 7 years now, used in CAS for a year.  Its my truck gun now at the farm.

There are some side rails you need to keep tight.  Just tighten all the screws on the outside of the action and you'll get the correct scews.

WH

Offline Rap Scallion

• Active citizen
  • Strikingly Handsome
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:52:30 PM »
 :o  I got a 94AE 45Colt Winny in a package deal from a pard who was giving up the CAS before he ever got stated!  I got 2 Ruger Vaqueros with $150 action jobs and the Winny for $1000.........So with that good deal I gave up my dreams of rifles costing $12-1500, and make the most of my 94.

Not being a race gun type shooter, I'm happy with it's performance.....I'm there for the fun and the guys I shoot with.  I practiced with all my guns till I was ready to go in the deep end of the pool, and got past the short stroking!  I have experienced stove piping when my mind gets going faster than my hands and have learned that there are faster cycling guns than the 94, but I havn't found a need to get something faster at the age of 67!

I have shot now for several years and have yet to jam my 94, in competition.......You MUST throw the lever all the way forward and close it smartly.......not the liquid flow of a Marlin or a Cimarron 73, but it works for what I want to do with it......HAVE FUN!  Besides it's a great deer and pig gun!

W G Martin
Live Oak, Texas
USMC 1959-70 RVN Vet
NRA/TSRA/SASS#54735

To ride hard, shoot straight, and tell the truth!

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis!

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 05:05:01 AM »
HI Rap Scallion, if I were to go shooting pigs over here I think it might upset a few farmers!
You are so lucky over there to be able to just "go hunting". If I wanted to go stalking deer, I would first have to attend and pass a 2 day course, then organise with an estate to shoot, make sure that I had the correct rifle and ammo for that type of deer, pay through the nose for the privilege (per deer) and if i wanted the meat, I would have to pay the going rate on top> don't you just love it!!
UKshooter

Offline Rap Scallion

• Active citizen
  • Strikingly Handsome
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 12:46:24 PM »
 ;)Yes Uk'r we are danged luckey........

But it wasn't all free......we had quite an argument with your King George and got it settled after a lot of men gave their lives fior that freedom.  Our rights are guaranteed by our Constitution, however there are always those wanting to take them away from us!  We gunowners in the US are painfully aware iof that everytime some politician wants to disarm us!
W G Martin
Live Oak, Texas
USMC 1959-70 RVN Vet
NRA/TSRA/SASS#54735

To ride hard, shoot straight, and tell the truth!

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis!

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »
For Rap Scallion

Oh yeah, I remember reading about that little skirmish,,,,,,think we came second!!
Keep your eye on them politico's,,,just 'cos they wus elected, don't mean they have to do what they is told!!
Don't fergit, you can allus tell when a politician is lying,,,,,,, his lips move!

More power to the citizen!!
Regards, UKshooter

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »
Hi UK,

My 1st cowboy rifle was a 94AE trapper in 45.  I got it at a sale when the local sporting goods place closed.  The only problem I had with it was the discovery at my 1st match that I could only put 9 - 45 colt rounds in the tube.  It did function flawlesly, but had to have a reload.    Points great for me.    You do have to cycle it determindly, no half hearted ejects, or the loading gate will open up and dump a round under the bolt.   Then you're out of the game till you get the round dislodged.

After a while, I switched to shooting scofield out of it and I can get in about 12 rounds without any mods to the rifle.   But again, no half fast cycling.  I still shoot it on ocasion.   Fun gun, functions great, and easy target acquisition.
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »
Thanks Pappy, it's all grist to the mill, or whatever them good ole boys say.
We've got a 94AE as a club weapon loaner, that dumps a round under the lifter every time it's cycled, stripped it down and found that the little tri-angle bit on the front of the link plate was worn away, so thats away to be fixed and we'll see how it performs after that ( can't get the spare parts to replace it so it's got to be welded).

Thanks again, UKshooter.

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 09:16:58 PM »
Lap the action with some 400 or 600 grit is the first thing. About an hour of work will get you about 90% there.

Stone lever and have a look at the insides of the action for any burrs. Most folks' just remove the burrs.

polish the carrier.

Put in a steel mag follower and get rid of the plastic one.

Cleaning is by far the best thing you can do with yours... 94AE's like to be run clean, not filthy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com