Author Topic: The Cowboy Way  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Cowboy Way
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:00:46 PM »
I went to my first shoot two weeks ago.  I'll write about that on that thread.  But this is more important:

I went as a visitor a couple times, felt right at ease and at home and made arrangements with a man to borrow what I needed and such.  My sponsor.  Thursday before the shoot, we talk on the phone, everything's confirmed.  He wasn't gonna be there, but I should hook up up his pard. 

Saturday, I got there plenty early, met Sponsor's friend, took care of biz, signed in and got ready.  The group was great; enthusiastic, supportive, good folks. 

Start off with the Pledge of Allegiance and on this occasion, a prayer.  Turns out sponsor's wife had just been diagnosed with terminal inoperable cancer the day I talked with him to confirm all the stuff he was providing.  This man could’ve simply said that something had come up.  But here I go to a shoot, courtesy of this guy, and the club president is saying a prayer, choking up, taking long pauses to get his self together.  I’m thinking to myself that this man could’ve been in the basement, loading ammo, not able to hear her; maybe it was just lucky nothing happened.  And then I’m thinking, “What’s he doing in the basement on my account anyway?”  I felt like crap.  But then his friend set me straight.  The cowboy way.

I'm much obliged.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The Cowboy Way
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 07:50:36 PM »
BP, that is a great story of your friend and the cowboy way. You will find more of them as you go along. I hope you now know to keep the cowboy way alive yourself as you get out and shoot here and there. It is always heartwarming to help a pard out in anyway you can.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 10:04:12 PM »
Good story.
     I can't tell you how shocked my wife has been seeing people we have never met not thinking twice about helping us out.  It is the true way.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:14:21 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 07:33:18 AM »
There is nothing quite like it ...
I've seen something akin to it in SCCA sport car racing in the 60's & 70's
I saw some touches of it in CW Reenacting.

I suppose it has some vestiges in POP Warner Football, Little league, and amung Socker Moms.
You might see a touch of it at sea with pleasure boaters.
And some Bikers have the gift.

But, CAS Shooters are by and large the best gents and gals you'll ever share a hobby with .
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Sabino Bob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
I've read this series of posts a bunch of times and keep coming back to it.

I'm not sure this fits here,  but let me relate something really showed me the "Cowboy Way" and has affected me deeply since it happened.  The "Cowboy Way" is out there - I once found it very close to home and it provided me a good lesson.

I was at the local supermarket, picking up a few items and waiting third or so in the express line to check out.  One of the local centers for developmentally challenged citizens had brought a number of their residents to the store do do their grocery shopping. 

One of these folks -  a fellow in his mid thirties, I'd guess, was having his half dozen items rung up. Nothing special, some snacks, toiletries, a TV dinner or two - normal stuff. It turned out he was a bit short of cash by a dollar or two. The clerk was doing the  "what do you want to do about it, should I call the manager?" thing.

He was having a problem figuring out how much he needed and was trying unsuccessfully to find some more money in his wallet, front /back pockets, etc.  He was getting flustered, embarassed and a bit panicky.  The folks in line were getting impatient, annoyed, rolling their eyes, and giving him "the look", etc. 

At this point, the fellow immediately behind him in line pointed to one of the TV dinners, and quietly asked the clerk to please ring it up on with his items. It was all very low-key and it you weren't right there, you'd never have noticed it. The clerk put it in the first fellow's bag, who calmed down quickly and mumbled his thanks as he went outside to board his bus back to the residence.

It was one of the kindest, most decent things I've ever seen anyone do - ever!   To me it was not the money (a few bucks maybe?) - it was this fellow seeing someone having a problem and not thinking twice putting himself out a bit to make it right -while letting one of our challenged citizens keep his dignity.

That, to me, is the essence of the Cowboy Way.

When I am at a CAS match and find myself getting a little impatient with someone who may be having a problem or is slower than some think appropriate - I remember the time I really saw the Cowboy Way in action  - and then do the right thing.

Thanks for listening,

Sabino Bob

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:17:26 AM »
Thank you for sharing that, SB.  The person did it low-key; it wasn't about himself.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »
Cowboy Way has some unexpected ner needed benifits as well more often than not.
     Me an Lil were on our way to a romanitic getaway up in the hills.  On the back stretchh of nowhere, we see a car broke down.  We stop an do what we can fer the guy but he needed a part.  Cell phone was outta range.  We get ta talkin an it turns out the guy is on his way to his job right near our motel.  He asked us if we could just please deliver a note to his manager verifying his situation.  No problem.
     Two hours later we hit our destination and find the resturaunt he was sposed ta be at.  Asked fer the manager by name an tolt him what was going on.  In the meantime, the brokendown motorist had got through and Lil and I were treated to one of the best Mexican feasts we ever had.  It pays ta help out strangers even if the only reward ya get is a good feelin, this time margaritas just happened ta be included :D

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com