Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 333702 times)

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #480 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »
Just started reading My Sixty Years on the Plains: Trapping, Trading, and Indian Fighting by William Thomas Hamilton. A fascinating first-hand account. "William Thomas Hamilton was born into a wealthy family in England but was brought to American when he was two years old. A sickly youngster, he was sent west by his father in 1842 with a trapping party headed by “Old Bill” Williams (who would gain notoriety as the guide of General John C. Frémont’s fourth expedition into the Western territories) to improve his health. Hamilton remained in the West for the rest of his life. He died in Missoula, Montana."
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #481 on: March 14, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »
Too many to list in any rational order.

Rio Bravo
The Shootist
The Cowboys
Culpepper Cattle Company
Appaloosa
Lonesome Dove
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Good, Bad, Ugly/Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More
Open Range
Broken Trail
Winchester 73
3:10 to Yuma
True Grit  (s)
Monte Walsh (Selleck)

There just cain't not be no favorite! ;D

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #482 on: June 20, 2017, 08:25:21 PM »
What makes a movie a "Western".
Some of those mentioned here are westerns because the characters wore a 'cowboy' hat.
Civil War movies aren't westerns.
What is needed is specific minimum elements that must be present in a movie for it to be considered a western.
Below are some suggestions:

Cattle, horses, stagecoach, gunfight, Indians, time period, buffalo, miners, robbers, covered wagon, majestic landscapes, blacksmith, ranch, railroad, campfire, coyote/bear/deer/elk/eagle/buffalo/trout, sodbusters, plains, cavalry and forts. 

If the cowboys wear big hats and KISS their horse, that makes it a western...

Bill

Advertising

« Reply #483 on: Today at 02:06:53 AM »

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #483 on: June 26, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »

Rio Bravo
The Shootist
The Cowboys
Culpepper Cattle Company
Appaloosa
Lonesome Dove
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Open Range
Broken Trail
Winchester 73
True Grit  (s)
Monte Walsh (Selleck)

Agree
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #484 on: June 26, 2017, 04:41:23 PM »
So many good ones. Really like the movie ,    Valdez is coming !  ( Before I know better! ),,,DT

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: June 26, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »
I hope this doesn't get me hung, or worse, banned... but I was never a really big John Wayne fan. I'm sure that is heresy around here, but he was just too over the top. I mean, I enjoyed The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The War Wagon, but he wasn't my favorite star.

As I have mentioned in the other Western thread, I like Appaloosa.
I also love some Tom Selleck movies, Monte Walsh and Quigley Down Under-which technically isn't a western.
Jeramiah Johnson, which technically is a western.
The Quick and the Dead.
Deadwood, which isn't a movie, but is a western, none the less.
For a very tongue in cheek movie, Zachariah with Don Johnson, a Rock N Roll western.
And then there is The Ballad of Cable Hogue. I hate the singing, but still watch it for a laugh.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #486 on: June 29, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »
I hope this doesn't get me hung, or worse, banned... but I was never a really big John Wayne fan. I'm sure that is heresy around here, but he was just too over the top. I mean, I enjoyed The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The War Wagon, but he wasn't my favorite star.

Suggest you watch or watch again "The Quiet Man" with Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. 

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: June 29, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »

Rio Bravo
The Shootist
The Cowboys
Culpepper Cattle Company
Appaloosa
Lonesome Dove
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Open Range
Broken Trail
Winchester 73
True Grit  (s)
Monte Walsh (Selleck)

I like all of the movies you mentioned, with the addition of Monte Walsh with Lee Marvin.

True Grit with John Wayne was a good movie. I didn't care for the last one though. I thought almost everybody was miss-cast.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: June 29, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »
I thought the casting in the remake was good, especially Mattie.

Different strokes ....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: June 29, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
I thought the casting in the remake was good, especially Mattie.

Different strokes ....
Hey now! I remember watching Different Strokes, and it weren't no Western!  ::)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #490 on: June 29, 2017, 11:49:46 PM »

As I have mentioned in the other Western thread, I like Appaloosa.
I also love some Tom Selleck movies, Monte Walsh and Quigley Down Under-which technically isn't a western.
Jeramiah Johnson, which technically is a western.
The Quick and the Dead.
Deadwood, which isn't a movie, but is a western, none the less.
For a very tongue in cheek movie, Zachariah with Don Johnson, a Rock N Roll western.
And then there is The Ballad of Cable Hogue. I hate the singing, but still watch it for a laugh.

with you on the Duke thing - some good some ordinary - I liked Sam Elliot, Kostner, Selleck ----early westerns gave us some beeeyutiful scenery but then the guns and gear all out of sync - hate that! -- Back in the 50,s 60,s there would have been plenty of original guns around at reasonable cost, they could have made it authentic! Same for saddles and tack --- now we get the newer westerns and the language is so foul in some of em I just am not interested - not a wowser just spent a life working in male crews and tired of the disrespect of potty mouth language. Sure the old timers used it but I bet they never did around women.   

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline merlen

• Citizen
    • Facts about animals
  • Liked:
« Reply #492 on: September 17, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »
maybe it's very easy from my side, but it is The Good, Bad & Ugly

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #493 on: September 17, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »
This isn't necessarily a favorite, but if you get a chance, check out Gunless-

I liked "Gunless" 'cause it's Canadian, eh? I am also familiar with the country where it was filmed. I think Paul Gross did a good job on a Western parody.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #494 on: September 18, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »
I would favor the one where they stop to reload after 5 shots. I just watched the modern Magnificent 7 and noticed only one scene before the ending gun battle, mostly with rifles, where there was any reloading, and then followed by a trick ejection that would never work on any of my guns. And I didn't get Denzel carrying reverse grip, strong side, but it is Hollywood.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #495 on: September 18, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »
I liked "Gunless" 'cause it's Canadian, eh? I am also familiar with the country where it was filmed. I think Paul Gross did a good job on a Western parody.
The best part of Gunless, is the end credits. They put all the gag scenes and gafs there. I was rolling!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #496 on: September 18, 2017, 03:19:18 PM »
Like the scene where Gross is explaining his life philosophy and the horse farts? Don't see that very often in Dusters. All of the bloopers were great and even better than the successful takes in the movie.

I gave a copy of the film to a pal whose deceased wife closely resembled the heroine of the story. Her favourite gun was a 5 shot Colt '49.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #497 on: September 18, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »
Like the scene where Gross is explaining his life philosophy and the horse farts? Don't see that very often in Dusters. All of the bloopers were great and even better than the successful takes in the movie.

I gave a copy of the film to a pal whose deceased wife closely resembled the heroine of the story. Her favourite gun was a 5 shot Colt '49.
"I'm a man, that's what I do" (Fart!) "He's a horse, that's what he does. I do it too sometimes, but I don't lift my tail."

Offline MattSnow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #498 on: November 15, 2017, 12:27:53 AM »
One of my favorite westerns is Dead Man with Johnny Depp. Great story line, Depp played really impressive, just cut out for William Blake character. 1995 movie but the one I still remember when someone asks about a good movie. I like Depp not only for being a remarkable actor, but also for his personality and charity involvement, when he sold his house in France  a generous sum of money went to charity (orphanage). Great man.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #499 on: November 15, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »
I would favor the one where they stop to reload after 5 shots. I just watched the modern Magnificent 7 and noticed only one scene before the ending gun battle, mostly with rifles, where there was any reloading, and then followed by a trick ejection that would never work on any of my guns. And I didn't get Denzel carrying reverse grip, strong side, but it is Hollywood.

The reloading thing bothered me about that too. I thought Appaloosa did a good job about showing the characters reloading after using their firearms.

The butt-forward, strong side is actually a style I like. I carry my Cav. length SAA that way when I'm out in the country, and use the Cavalry-twist draw. Very comfortable way to carry and draw a long barreled pistol.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com