Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 333724 times)

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #460 on: January 07, 2015, 02:59:02 PM »
The Western has always provided great entertainment and sometimes a way of looking at ourselves. The movies of the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, all provided a pure landscape. The canvas was clean and stories of simplicity or complexity could be painted with no problem. The years since have broken that simple spell. Thei 60's began a Comedy thing that marked for me, the decline of the Western. Some good stuff was still to come....It's hard to go back. It seemed that every director wanted to show The Real West and social comment was required. But as the 60's ended some great stuff had been made Hombre, Guns in the Afternoon, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid, True Grit and The Wild Bunch. I don't rate Italian Westerns. To me they are grotesque. It's a complex subject and hard to generalise. Don't forget that TV was awash with Western weekly series to back the genre up also back then. Can it be revived? No it can't but just as long as every few years a good Western yarn comes along, then I'm happy. Who would have thought that True Grit could be made again?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2015, 05:30:50 PM »
I had to do some research on "Guns in the Afternoon".  That's apparently what our British friends call "Ride the High Country".

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: January 08, 2015, 03:46:57 AM »
OK Griff........put up your Dukes. I'm Irish. We don't take kindly to that kinda talk in these parts. Yes your right, the name was changed on this Side of the Atlantic. It was very common and no one, that I know of, knew why. Film distributors eh......

Advertising

« Reply #463 on: Today at 05:56:09 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #463 on: January 08, 2015, 10:42:38 PM »
Well now, I have a strong Irish connection, so I'll just buy you a pint by way of apology.  Then we can go watch "Ride the Guns in the High Afternoon Country";)

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: January 09, 2015, 03:33:15 AM »
Thanks I'll have a pint of Guinness please. Sounds like a good movie.   ;)

Offline Ike Kant

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: February 12, 2015, 06:11:16 PM »
My favorite is The Big Country.  Sure there are plenty of Westerns that are more spectacular and have a higher body count but this film is a superb character study.  Captain Jim McKay represents what I consider the ideal, ultimate human being.  We could all aspire to be as honorable and courageous.  Only Gregory Peck could have done the role justice. Jean Simmons' portrayal of Julie Maragon is nothing short of stunning.  And what a cast - Charlton Heston as a tough top hand and Best Supporting Actor Burl Ives.  It has a great musical score too.  

"We should come home from afar,  from adventures and perils and discoveries every day, with new experiences and character." - Henry David Thoreau

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #466 on: February 16, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »
Just watched True Grit (2010) last night. Yeah I know I'm 5 years late but what a great movie. Definetly up there on great westerns IMO. Yes I know there is a John Wayne original and yes I tried watching it and ended up turning it off half hour in. I'm just not a bandwagon John Wayne fan I guess. But the new True Grit was great.
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #467 on: February 16, 2015, 12:20:05 PM »
My favorite is (was) Deadwood, the HBO series.
The characters developed well over the series.  This made it easier for me to overlook the foul language.
Ian McShane did an excellent job of potraying a ruthless and brutal, but caring character.
Brad Dourif (Doc Cochrane) and William Sanderson (E.B Farnum) are worth mentioning, too. 
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: February 17, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
The Big Country is a superb movie. It's the music for me, that captures the vast plains and sheer expanse of the place. Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston are one of the modern cinema's Classic pairings.  I've just remembered a movie called Tampopo. It's a japanese take-off of the western. A truck driver stops at a Noodle bar road stop. He stays to help the female owner perfect the terrible noodle recipe, Shane, he gathers up a team of noodle experts to help him, The Magnificent Seven, and he fist fight a guy out on the prarie in long shot, The Big Country.  Oh there are parts in the rest of the movie I don't understand but lots of raunch though.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: June 03, 2015, 09:38:36 AM »
Tough one for me. Let's see...as far as films go, I have a hard time thinking of something better than the Coen Bros. True Grit. It was well acted, the cinematography was excellent, and while not an exact copy, it stuck closer to the spirit of the book (which is fantastic, and should be read if you get the chance - it just drips authenticity).

For Television, it's a toss up between Hell on Wheels & Deadwood. Deadwood felt more authentic, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better TV western in terms of how it was shot, the budget, authenticity or character development. That being said, Hell on Wheels is just a ton of fun.

However, my number 1 spot might have to go to a video game called 'Red Dead Redemption.' The game is set in 1911, and follows a former outlaw who is being forced to track down and kill his former gang members. It was what got me interested in the Old West, and so I owe it a lot. One of those things that'll always have a special place in my heart.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #470 on: June 03, 2015, 10:55:31 AM »
All good films, Big Country is a great film and the modern True Grit is also superb.  I watched Appaloosa Again last night, the modern version, and I love that little film because it is quiet and the characters are stoic and quaint as hell.  Really recommend it.

Both those TV westerns, Deadwood and Hell on Wheels are must watching for any cowboy.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: June 03, 2015, 03:44:59 PM »
So many great scenes in Big Country. On his first morning on the Majors Ranch, Jim takes a walk.
Jim: Good Morning
Cowboy: Howdy

Jim: Good Morning
Cowboy: Howdy

Jim: Howdy
Cowboy: Good Morning

Online Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: June 03, 2015, 04:15:19 PM »
The overall cast of "The Big County" was also very well done.
A movie I like, as a whole, very much.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Gustav Ritter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: February 24, 2016, 04:36:03 PM »
Stagecoach (1939).  I'm not a big fan of John Wayne but he is great in this.  Andy Devine and John Carradine are also really good.  For more modern films I like the 2004 version of The Alamo (especially Billy Bob Thornton as David Crockett)  and Deadwood.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: February 25, 2016, 11:47:14 AM »
Stagecoach (1939).  I'm not a big fan of John Wayne but he is great in this.  Andy Devine and John Carradine are also really good.  For more modern films I like the 2004 version of The Alamo (especially Billy Bob Thornton as David Crockett)  and Deadwood.

Good choices all
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Flatlander55

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: March 09, 2016, 06:49:01 AM »
My all time favorite is For A Few Dollars More. I also REALLY enjoyed the newer 310 to Uma, The Deadwood series, Hell On Wheels, and the newer True Grit, although is hard not to constantly see The Dude from the Big Labowski, also another timeless movie.

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #476 on: March 11, 2016, 05:48:14 PM »
I must have already said this but...

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: March 14, 2016, 02:50:19 PM »
My all time favorite is For A Few Dollars More. I also REALLY enjoyed the newer 310 to Uma, The Deadwood series, Hell On Wheels, and the newer True Grit, although is hard not to constantly see The Dude from the Big Labowski, also another timeless movie.

All good choices. 
- Cole Younger

Offline MontanaBighorn

• Citizen
    • Carry Guide
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: November 13, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »

Saw this today on a list.   ::)
Nathan in

NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home.

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: November 20, 2016, 12:59:06 PM »
Rango, an animation, is a fine western. Action and funny with a great range of western stalwarts. The director was Gore Virbinski who also gave us The Lone Ranger which was not quiet a bullseye but pretty good also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com