Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 333662 times)

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #440 on: July 29, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
In another attempt to redirect this thread back on track.........

The "Greats" are undoubted.  For me; Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, etc.   :D

But there is something about Lee Van Cleef and Richard Boone that really resonates for me.  8)

Should I be concerned?  ::)
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #441 on: July 29, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »
But there is something about Lee Van Cleef and Richard Boone that really resonates for me.  8)

Thanks for that!  Both those actors brought wonderfully rendered character studies to the screen.  They could menace with a mere look, or a smile.  I was thinking about Boone yesterday because of a short-lived western series where his character set up his pistol to twist draw.  Dio you recall that?

Mean Bob Mean
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #442 on: July 29, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »
One name, Jack Eland....   :)
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #443 on: Today at 09:06:55 PM »

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #443 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:42 PM »
Jack Elam perhaps?  I have always been impressed how a character actor can make the whole film.  Victor McLaglen to Hank Worden in the John Ford movies dome to mind.   I saw a 60's modern western the other day called "Rancho Deluxe"  and it was a "so so" movie until Slim Pickens shows up as an old stock detective.  He made the whole movie.
So my hats off to all the Character Actors that have added so much spice to the movies.
Ken

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #444 on: July 29, 2013, 08:24:16 PM »

Old Jack in "Support Your Local Sheriff" was a classic.  I always lioved his comedy roles but he made a terrific bad guy.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #445 on: July 29, 2013, 08:25:33 PM »
 I saw a 60's modern western the other day called "Rancho Deluxe"  and it was a "so so" movie until Slim Pickens shows up as an old stock detective. 

Yeah, Pickens was great but I did like the scene where they shot up the Lincoln with the Sharps.
- Cole Younger

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #446 on: July 30, 2013, 07:42:07 AM »
Jack Elam perhaps? 

My smart phone is actually kind of dumb and I can't type on it either.   ;)
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline flyingcollie

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #447 on: September 05, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »
This is a mighty long thread - have we come to any conclusions ??

Seems to me westerns reflect the decades they were made pretty strongly. They started out early as a kind of celluloid version of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, silent, lots of trick riding and trick shooting. Then, they became "full entertainment", adding singing cowboys and dancing cowgirls. There was more emphasis on drama in the 50's, and at least a nod to "history". By the 60's, there was more "realism" with the introduction of real gore in the shooting scenes . . . since then, I'd say many are more accurate for detail (firearms and sll other kinds of era-correct detail) and also for historical accuracy, but we also get the revisionism.

" . . . it's a place, it's a feelin', and it's dang sure just a state of mind. It could be anything you ever dreamed of . . . and it's all these things, it's The West."  -Dave Stamey

Cast my vote for everything Glenn Ford and Randolph Scott ever did !  ;D

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #448 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:22 PM »

Elam...  ;D

An Eland is an African antelope...  ;D

Bill

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #449 on: September 19, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »
When I first found this forum a few months ago, I really thought I found something special, but a few individuals on this forum act like 13 year old girls arguing over Justin Biebers haircut.

Reading the posts of these individuals is kind of like watching a monkey fornicate with a football.

Why don't you guys step away from the keyboard, buy some Vagisil, inflatable dounut pillow, apply Vagisil to irritated mommy parts and take a break from the board.

It would be highly benificial to those of us who would prefer not to read your Keyboard Tourettes Tantrums.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #450 on: September 19, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »
When I first found this forum a few months ago, I really thought I found something special, but a few individuals on this forum act like 13 year old girls arguing over Justin Biebers haircut.

Reading the posts of these individuals is kind of like watching a monkey fornicate with a football.

Why don't you guys step away from the keyboard, buy some Vagisil, inflatable dounut pillow, apply Vagisil to irritated mommy parts and take a break from the board.

It would be highly benificial to those of us who would prefer not to read your Keyboard Tourettes Tantrums.

An amazingly articulate post... And I agree with him...

Bill

Offline The Black Spot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #451 on: October 18, 2013, 08:09:58 AM »

Cast my vote for everything Glenn Ford and Randolph Scott ever did !  ;D

Definitely! Especially Scott in "7 men from now"

Alan Ladd has some good westerns; "whispering Smith" , "branded" and of course "shane"

Offline Hambone Dave

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #452 on: February 28, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »
What makes a movie a "Western".
Some of those mentioned here are westerns because the characters wore a 'cowboy' hat.
Civil War movies aren't westerns.
What is needed is specific minimum elements that must be present in a movie for it to be considered a western.
Below are some suggestions:

Cattle, horses, stagecoach, gunfight, Indians, time period, buffalo, miners, robbers, covered wagon, majestic landscapes, blacksmith, ranch, railroad, campfire, coyote/bear/deer/elk/eagle/buffalo/trout, sodbusters, plains, cavalry and forts. 

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #453 on: April 02, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is my favorite. Then High Plains Drifter. Here is artwork I just finished!

“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #454 on: April 03, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »
You are a very talented artist!

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:51 PM »
I like "The Outlaw Josie Wales" and "Tombstone" as my favorites.   :)

That artwork kinda looks like the movie poster for Josie Wales.
Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline willcarter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: August 12, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
The Proposition is one of my favourite Westerns... 3:10 is great... Open Range was decent... Unforgiven is classic... watching more for research so I will update this post in a couple days!

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: August 12, 2014, 01:10:37 PM »
Just watched over course of a few weeks the "Cavalry Trilogy" of John Ford with Wayne et al. 

If not seen, highly recommended.
- Cole Younger

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #458 on: December 16, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »
I didn't go through all 19 pages of this thread, so I may be duplicating someone else's foavourite(s).

Lonesome Dove (all 11 1/2 hours of it)
HBO's Deadwood series
and I recently found Hell on Wheels on Nexflix...lots of fun.

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: December 16, 2014, 12:56:44 PM »
and I recently found Hell on Wheels on Nexflix...lots of fun.

I gotta agree with that one.  Just found it on Netflix myself, and it's been a blast!  We've been watching it non-stop here for about a week.

on a non-historical side, but present day "westerns" I like:
"Pure Country"
"Country Strong"
and a little Canadian TV show "Heartland"

I think they count enough, if not, they certainly count as "country" or "cowboy."  We had family visiting, and little half-pint's Grandma told her to eat her breakfast.  It was so adorable, little half-pint told her: "I don't know where you come from, but out here, we take care of the animals first."

:o ;D Basically, it's her chore (she just turned 4) to feed the cat in the mornings! :D

and yes, I love Clint Eastwood... and yep, his best role:

beautiful work Stuck_in_73
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com