Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 333713 times)

The Arapaho Kid

What's your favorite Western?
« on: January 22, 2005, 12:08:38 PM »
Let's get a sort of poll going here on your favorite Western.  I personally lean toward the comedy westerns. " How the West was Fun".  Among them are:  "Evil Roy Slade",  "Rustlers Rhapsody", "The Hallelujah Trail", "The Cheyenne Social Club", "Support Your Local Gunfighter", "Support your Local Sheriff"and "Waterhole #3".  I never saw a John Wayne movie I didn't like.  I have to be honest.  I didn't care all that much about the Clint Eastwood Speghetti Westerns.  They was somewhat close to reality, but they just didn't grab me like other Westerns have done.  Of course, the old Roy, Gene and Hoppy classics have always been favorites.  I grew up with those! 

So lets have it here!  What is/was your favorite Western?

Offline RIO DEL RIO

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's your favorite Western? FM, RIO DEL RIO
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »
McLINTOCK, CAT BALLOU, CONAGHER, BITE THE BULLET, FOR GOOD FUN NOTHIN BEATS TRINITY IS MY NAME. DEATH RIDES A HORSE,FALSE COLORS.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 04:23:20 PM »
Not sure! ??? ???   Gonna hafta think on this awhile.  :) :)  So many Westerns so little time!   ;D :D :D ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:17:19 AM »

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 06:51:13 PM »
Another sort of stylized Western that I like is "Red Garters" starring Rosie Clooney, Jack Carson and Guy Mitchell.  It's a kind of Western Comedy/Musical.  In that one they are always talking about "The Code of The West" and when that is said....all hats come off. 

Then, of course, there's the two Bob Hope Classics:  "Paleface" and "Son of Paleface".  Those are hilarious!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 03:37:19 AM »
As for Western Comedies, "Blazing Saddles" has to considered.   "The Searchers" with John Wayne has to be best of the Classics.   The new Westerns with Tom Selleck, Open Range, and the Lonesome Dove movies are good also.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Bear Rider

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 01:56:42 PM »
That's easy!  The next one that I find in the Wally World Bargain Bin, of course.  ;D

I just picked up Tom Selleck's Monte Walsh yesterday.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 06:34:03 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)
Do you have to ask????

... I don't know why you didin't list the Trinity movies.  Maybe an oversight.  ;D ;D ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 06:35:27 PM »
That's easy!  The next one that I find in the Wally World Bargain Bin, of course.  ;D

Say, Bear Rider, Did you really find Monte Walsh in the bargain bin for $5.55???
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 08:48:38 PM »
This is a very tough decision to pick only one  :o So here are some at the top of the list:

The Searchers
The Good, Bad & Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Tombstone (Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday)
Quick and the Dead (only cau Sharon Stone is the "Most Hansom" of em all...
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 12:25:15 AM »

That version of The Quick and the Dead is not a valid western in my eyes...  Try Sam Elliots HBO rendition of the Lous Lamour book.  Its much better!

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 01:18:26 AM »

Say, Bear Rider, Did you really find Monte Walsh in the bargain bin for $5.55???

I found 4 John Wayne movies for $1.50 each in a swedish store :o And it was on DVD :o :o
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 09:57:42 AM »
Okay, after lettin’ it ferment for awhile, they all  are John Wayne, and the first two are almost remakes of each other, and the second has many of the say scenarios:

El Dorado
Rio Bravo
Rio Lobo
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline RIO DEL RIO

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 01:05:35 PM »
Put in my Two-Cents worth earlier but got a message that someone else was puttin in theirs.  Here I go agin':
I love westerns of all type.  Even the really bad ones have some redeeming value.  They really make you appreciate a good one.  I found a good deal on DVD's.  www.tvnow.com has 50 old westerns on 12 DVD's for $28.00 plus $4.00 s/h.  I have viewed about half of them and they are of great quality.  The site has a list of the movies and stars of same.  Hope everyone's snow and ice melts.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2005, 12:24:08 PM »
Put in my Two-Cents worth earlier but got a message that someone else was puttin in theirs.  Here I go agin':
I love westerns of all type.  Even the really bad ones have some redeeming value.  They really make you appreciate a good one.  I found a good deal on DVD's.  www.tvnow.com has 50 old westerns on 12 DVD's for $28.00 plus $4.00 s/h.  I have viewed about half of them and they are of great quality.  The site has a list of the movies and stars of same.  Hope everyone's snow and ice melts.

Tried to get that site up 4 times and it wouldn't come up.  Had to send 4 error reports to MSN.,  Oh well!

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2005, 07:29:52 PM »

Tried to get that site up 4 times and it wouldn't come up.  Had to send 4 error reports to MSN.,  Oh well!

I never got it to work either.   ??? ??? ???

Offline Second Creek Sam

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 02:32:15 PM »

That version of The Quick and the Dead is not a valid western in my eyes...  Try Sam Elliots HBO rendition of the Lous Lamour book.  Its much better!

Well said, Trinity!

Favorite Western...hmmm

Lonesome Dove would have to be top pick
Any John Wayne movie, but particularly, She Wore A yellow Ribbon
Shane
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp
both Monte Walsh movies

Compiling a list of favorite Westerns...This could take a while ;D
“The function of wisdom is to discriminate between good and evil.”
- Cicero

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 09:02:14 AM »
  You know, I've been watching this thread since it started it, and still can't make up my mind...I am surprised that no one has mentioned The Duke's last movie "The Shootist" though..great movie in my opinion, and one of the few films that was actually an improvment over the book. 

And as for "The Quick and The Dead"...<sigh> well....I've seen worse movies...even worse movies with Sharon Stone, but not a worse Western...Well with one exception.."The Shakiest Gun in West" with Don Knotts...that one was a real stinker...with the only redeming factor being a young and sexy Barbara Rhodes...

Offline Second Creek Sam

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 02:26:53 PM »
  You know, I've been watching this thread since it started it, and still can't make up my mind...I am surprised that no one has mentioned The Duke's last movie "The Shootist" though..great movie in my opinion, and one of the few films that was actually an improvment over the book. 

Tarheel Mac,

You're right that The Shootist is an excellent film, but knowing that the Duke was really dying from cancer; and that it was his last film, makes it way too sad of a movie for me to watch often. :(

Speaking of great Duke films, how about The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence?  John Wayne was great in that one as the cowboy who sacrificed everything for the love of Vera Miles' character, "Halle".

“The function of wisdom is to discriminate between good and evil.”
- Cicero

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 08:35:55 PM »
Favorite Western...hmmm

Lonesome Dove would have to be top pick
Any John Wayne movie, but particularly, She Wore A yellow Ribbon
Shane
Tombstone
Wyatt Earp
both Monte Walsh movies

Compiling a list of favorite Westerns...This could take a while ;D

I just watched Lonesome Dove this weekend... from start to finish in one sitting (well, there was some getting up and moving around, but the movie didn't stop  ;D ;D

The others are also great.  In particular, I love the Tom Seleck Monte Walsh and am dying to see the Lee Marvin version!

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005, 02:39:19 PM »
I like all the John Wayne westerns that were made in color.  For favorites, I have 2:  "Wild Bill" and "The Long Riders".  Wild Bill with Jeff Bridges was the best of all the movies made about my personal favorite western character, although, like most westerns it does stray from the facts a bit.  (Read the books by Joseph Rosa).
The Long Riders, though it has lots of firearms inaccuracies in it, is good because they cast all the brothers to play the parts of all them brothers.  Real good action sequences too.  Another favorite of mine is Geronimo even though it too, strays from the historical facts a bit.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com