Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 333677 times)

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #400 on: July 08, 2013, 11:30:48 AM »
Petrinal,  the topic is, what's your favorite western?not spanish military history.  If Hollywood movies are crap, don't watch them, nobody will miss you.   Instead of finding fault what movies do like if any?  One I liked but have been unable to find is Rooster Cogburn.  Wally World hasn't had it in the bargain bin. Don't take offense, Petrinal, do you remember what Thumpers' mother told him in the movie, Bambi?  "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all." :-X
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #401 on: July 08, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »
There you go again - when you can't deal with the message, you attack the messenger. At least you're consistent. I think you missed your true calling and ought to consider becoming a movie critic.

Like I said - time for the Spanish (read losers) to make a movie about the Spanish-American War. Should be a piece of cake considering the number of 'spaghetti westerns' that were filmed in Spain. There has to be a knoll in Spain somewhere that resembles San Juan Hill.
It would provide some work in a country with 24% unemployment.

surely you love that version, as you probably believe everything they tell as long as it suits your taste, but sorry, man, using civilian hostages, that, by the way, were SPANISH CITIZENS, as Cuba was not a colony, but a spanish province, is not in our military tradition and there is no written evidence of that anywhere, not even in american sources. But it sounds good for Hollywood, which has a nice tradition of desrespecting the enemy, be them german, british, spanish..etc.

by the way, they could distinguish, in the middle of a battle, and with no observation globe, that was destroyed by the spanish, a civilian shouting from a spanish soldier, and heard them saying and shouting to go on? what is your I.Q, man? the movies that you love seeing, are for 12 years olin short, we can not believe in all the trash and misinformation that some individuals in the cinema industry have done and currently do to History, like Millious..... sometimes just to add drama to the tale, or sometimes for political or patriotic reasons.

I´ll give an example: I cant stand Russian movies about WW2...they stink to political propaganda, showing partisans as heroes. Some of them were, but some others...were just criminals.

I cannot take that you are not offended by THE PATRIOT....you are not british! You are canadian, of french and british origin..but I am not talking about you, I am talking about people like british friends of mine, who were really angry at the way that crap movie showed the british. Even the british press protested.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #402 on: July 08, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
Petrinal,  the topic is, what's your favorite western?not spanish military history.  If Hollywood movies are crap, don't watch them, nobody will miss you.   Instead of finding fault what movies do like if any?  One I liked but have been unable to find is Rooster Cogburn.  Wally World hasn't had it in the bargain bin. Don't take offense, Petrinal, do you remember what Thumpers' mother told him in the movie, Bambi?  "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all." :-X

Bravo sir, indeed.  ;)
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Advertising

« Reply #403 on: Today at 11:19:16 PM »

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: July 08, 2013, 12:47:01 PM »
Actually I liked Ride with the Devil. Very well done. I highly recommend it.

Another movie I would like to suggest is one named The Jack Bull. It stars John Cusack and is very good.
I like that one, too.  Again, good story and acting.  But I personally think it's John Goodman in his role as the judge that makes the movie really something.
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #404 on: July 08, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »
I like that one, too.  Again, good story and acting.  But I personally think it's John Goodman in his role as the judge that makes the movie really something.
OK my last post was ambiguous at best.  Goodman was in Jack Bull, not Ride with the Devil.  Jack Bull was the movie I meant to write about.  -Although I did see Ride with the Devil, and I liked it, too.
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #405 on: July 08, 2013, 02:50:03 PM »
I saw a movie once, a long time ago (10 years, two thirds of my life.  Just thought I'd rub in my youth ;) :P )called "Gunsmoke and Thunder" that was a pretty decent show.  At least for a five-year old.  It was based on a book by J.T.Edson with a similar title("Gunsmoke Thunder") which I read last year and put the two together.  The movie had a lot of Hollywood-ification, like Winchester 92's in 1876, but oh well.   The final showdown was a bit scarey, what with a guy getting disemboweled, but at least they didn't show below the neck......

The only problem is, I can't find anything about the film.  Google doesn't have anything on it, nothin on YouTube.  Zip, nada.  but if you can ever find it, it's pretty good.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: July 08, 2013, 05:03:19 PM »
there you go:

I like  "YELLOW SKY", with Gregory Peck. The final duel scene is masterfully shot....as it shows us a great rule: LESS can be more...I reccomend you watch it.

I also loved "Night Passage", dubbed "la ultima bala" (last bullet) in spanish, with Audie Murphy and James Stewart.

"They died with their boots on", is a great classic, with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland and Anthony Queen.

"Wild bunch" is a great, but a bit  overstimated  and probably unrealistically violent film by and overstimated director, like Sam Peckinpah, whose greater movie, is, in my opinion,  "Straw dogs".

"3 GODFATHERS", a really great understimated film,  with the true american patriot John Wayne. John, unlike what many left wing intellectuals think, played very interesting roles under John Ford´s orders...normally antisocial men, who are somewhat marginated or a bit segregated by society, but with a deep great heart, and an endless desire for justice, in a very hostile environment.

in other words, unlike today´s HOLLYWOOD trash, with tasteless movies, soundtracks and stories, classic westerns, specially John Wayne´s, showed the best of the american spirit, like braveness, ingenuity and confidence in hard work.

even when John fillmed "The Alamo"...he treated mexicans with respect, in my opinion.....and I am sure, that in real life, SANTA ANA, and his troops, were not worth much respect at all...(he was taken prisoner by the americans disguised as woman....what type of general is that..our generals die in combat!).

and he showed much respect for Vietnam and it´s peoples in his "GREEN BERETS", another understimated film, that showed that one can make a good patriotic movie witouth desrespecting other countries.

one of the worse westerns I have seen,  is SOLDIER BLUE, pure trash, by the way. Sorry, but the  many Indian tribes, not all,, despite what they have been triying to brainwashing us about,  were not angels and allways the victims...some were really blood thirsty, and killed whites...because it was their way of life..to kill others.

in that aspect, todays directors, are making a mistake: they treat a the West in their films with a  modern man´s mentality. And that is unrealistic.

I dont watch  modern productions, the script, soundtrack, photography and acting, is horrible, witouth comparison to the masterfully shot, and interpreted classics, like High Noon, whose photography...is first class from the very begining. That people in Hollywood, at that time, were truly artists. Not all, of course, but there was art in those times in movies.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: July 08, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »
Sorry, but the  many Indian tribes, not all,, despite what they have been triying to brainwashing us about,  were not angels and allways the victims...some were really blood thirsty, and killed whites...because it was their way of life..to kill others.

I have always wondered why a person begins with "Sorry" as a lead in to an insult?  Beyond this statement, will be a land mine of political discussion, so I plan to avoid that.  I would recommend that you read about Sand Creek.

When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: July 08, 2013, 07:53:24 PM »
Yeah, like when someone says - "With all due respect ...", they usually mean "... with utterly NO respect at all ... !
Pet has a penchant for offending and alienating, allegedly without malice aforethought.

I wonder if he knows that "... true American patriot John Wayne ..." never wore the uniform of his country, unlike several other movies stars.
But then, he regards Spaniards that served in the Wehrmacht and SS as "patriots", all having had  to swear an oath not to Germany, but to Adolph Hitler; the motto of the SS being - "Meine Ehre Heisst Treue"; Loyalty Is My Honour".

I have always wondered by a person begins with "Sorry" as a lead in to an insult?  Beyond this statement, will be a land mine of political discussion, so I plan to avoid that. 
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #409 on: July 08, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »
Yeah, like when someone says - "With all due respect ...", they usually mean "... with utterly NO respect at all ... !
Pet has a penchant for offending and alienating, allegedly without malice aforethought.

Agreed

I wonder if he knows that "... true American patriot John Wayne ..." never wore the uniform of his country, unlike several other movies stars.

John Wayne was 4F... Ever norice how he walked?

But then, he regards Spaniards that served in the Wehrmacht and SS as "patriots", all having had  to swear an oath not to Germany, but to Adolph Hitler; the motto of the SS being - "Meine Ehre Heisst Treue"; Loyalty Is My Honour."

Now you're going to confuse our hispanic troll with facts...

Bill

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #410 on: July 08, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »
The salient 'fact' is that our "Hispanic troll" has a contempt for a lot of things and people held dear by Americans - their dislike of government interference in their lives, their morals (or lack thereof, in his opinion), their movies, their iconic heroes -Jeff Cooper, Teddy Roosevelt, Charlton Heston, et al. This despite claiming to have lived in the US for several years, where I presume he was treated with respect.

He is either unaware of the offensiveness of his rhetoric or he doesn't care - your pick. However, under the rules of this forum, he has the right to be insulting and we have to pussy foot around it instead of calling a spade a spade for fear of being banned.

Now you're going to confuse our hispanic troll with facts...
Bill

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #411 on: July 09, 2013, 04:36:33 AM »
Just give up,  he don't get it.  You are just wasting your breathe (really your finger power,I am going to save my finger power for shooting.) So "The Bull Jack" is a good flick,I'll add it to my list.Petrinal said "Yellow Sky", with Gregory Peck was good, I'll add it also. But as I said before,I believe he is baiting us. In the "Wizard of Oz", when Dorthy finds the control room,"pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Anyone see "The Lone Ranger",yet?
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: July 09, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »
The salient 'fact' is that our "Hispanic troll" has a contempt for a lot of things and people held dear by Americans - their dislike of government interference in their lives, their morals (or lack thereof, in his opinion), their movies, their iconic heroes -Jeff Cooper, Teddy Roosevelt, Charlton Heston, et al. This despite claiming to have lived in the US for several years, where I presume he was treated with respect.

He is either unaware of the offensiveness of his rhetoric or he doesn't care - your pick. However, under the rules of this forum, he has the right to be insulting and we have to pussy foot around it instead of calling a spade a spade for fear of being banned.

I never mentioned Charlon Heston, which is a man I admired. I never mention goverment interference in people´s lives....that belongs to your imagination entirely.

I have no reasons to admire Cooper, can you give me one from a foreign point of view, when even his views about shootings are not much shared in the rest of the world among professionals? can you give me reasons to admire TEDDY, whose most famous  overexagerated battle was a combat of thousands of americans...against a handful of spanish soldiers.....sorry, let me admire more that handful of spanish soldiers far outnumbered by the americans..... :-[

true, John didnt participate in actual combat,  in WW2, like Jamie Stewart,  in a bomber, or Robert Taylor training pilots. But John showed the rest of the world, like Jamie, the best of the american spirit in his roles. HE MADE THE REST OF THE WORLD LOVE THE US AND THE FAR WEST. And the World, not only the USA, loves him.

I remember years ago in a video club shop, a old man renting a John Wayne movie....the was telling the clerk that he could be all day wathching John´s movies.

so important was Wayne´s  influence in the World......that the SOVIETS declared him a "dangerous american icon"....as even Eastern Block people loved his movies! we can say that  He did his good job to fight comunism too.

dont you think that doing that is being a patriot? He showed respect for justice, allways, in his movies. Today´s Hollywood movies just show...bad examples.

Jeffy? he made the opposite. Wont explain more.

I am not proud of the spanish soldiers fighting in the SS, who were deprived by Franco of the spanish citizenship, by the way. after 1944 all spanish citizens were banned by the goverment from fighting with the Axis, after the Blue division withdrawal, as the goverment became more pro Ally  after the  Normandy landings. So those  men, many of them ex Blue division members, fought in Berlin against the spanish laws. They were very few and most survivers were not able to return to SPAIN, as they were no longer spanish citizens.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #413 on: July 09, 2013, 10:37:32 AM »
How about, "Santa Fe Trail?"  Ronald Reagan, Errol Flynn, Olivia deHaviland.  Pretty good show.  The arsenal isn't exactly correct....I'm pretty sure they didn't have Remington New Model Army's in 1854.... but oh well.  Hard not to like those three actors together.  :)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: July 09, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »
.sorry, let me admire more that handful of spanish soldiers far outnumbered by the americans.....  

I think here in lays a good part of the problem.  I for one, have no problem with who you admire, it is the condescending spewing of discontent about people I admire that pi**es me off and I am sure others.  I have no problem with you admiring and holding in high esteem Spain, but do not run down my country to make your point.

Stay consistent.  Just a few days ago as an adjunct to your argument about the long history of Spanish slaughter around the world, you stated the United States and its injustice to Native people, then yesterday implied they need killing because they killed whites and killing was their life style. Of course this is unsubstantiated because you deleted that post.

Stay on one side of the fence.

Now give this a test:  Post your three favorite western movies without adding your political view of what is simple entertainment.

Of the modern films, I love Quigley down under.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: July 09, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
And I might add, without disparaging remarks about iconic American heroes, the poor taste of American movie goers and any dissertations on the by-gone glories of Spain.

I think here in lays a good part of the problem.  I for one, have no problem with who you admire, it is the condescending spewing of discontent about people I admire that pi**es me off and I am sure others.  I have no problem with you admiring and holding in high esteem Spain, but do not run down my country to make your point.

Stay consistent.  Just a few days ago as an adjunct to your argument about the long history of Spanish slaughter around the world, you stated the United States and its injustice to Native people, then yesterday implied they need killing because they killed whites and killing was their life style. Of course this is unsubstantiated because you deleted that post.

Now give this a test:  Post your three favorite western movies without adding your political view of what is simple entertainment.

Offline Icebox Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: July 09, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »
My choices for this week:

1. The Long Riders (love the soundtrack and the brothers)
2. Silverado (not sure why I watch this over and over  :-\)
3. Any movie with a Winchester 1876.

And by next week I'll have changed my mind and have to watch every movie I can find with Lee Van Cleef (or maybe Richard Boone).  Or maybe the copy of "Saskatchewan" (aka - O'Rourke of the Royal Mounted) I just found taped off the TV, with Alan Ladd, Shelley Winters, Hugh O'Brian and Jay Siverheels.  I know Saskatchewan doesn't look right in the movie - no craggy mountains here, but I will watch it and enjoy it anyway!   :P
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: July 09, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »
Clarification for Petrinal and Camille.  Incase your curious why so many get upset with things that are said and why we keep replying with indignation.  This currently is my favorite Western Video.  All 3 minutes sums up a 4377 of a lot.
[youtube]2VJkypo8jcY[/youtube]

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: July 09, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »

Quigley is a great movie. When I come across it on TV I can't stand to watch it the way they show it. I have to dig out the DVD and watch it in it's entirety. You ever notice how they cut the good part off of the end when they show it on TV? The part where the British military shows up to arrest Quigley and the tribesmen encircle them with thousands of men. I hate that they cut that off. That's a very powerful scene.

The Jack Bull is a very good movie. John Goodman was great as the judge.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: July 09, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »

well, someone started a comparison about who killed more indians.  I didnt talk about injustice to INDIANS, just number of indians dead.

the US policy against indians was tough, but there were even tougher policies in the americas, like the extermination campaign againts Mapuche Indians in the Desert campaign in Argentina in the 1870´s by General Rosas. They virtually exterminated them. So yes, the US was not the toughest nation in the americas againts native americans. In central America, like El Salvador or Guatemala, there were extermination policies as late as 1979 againts native peoples just  because they were accused of supporting guerrillas.

anyway, I´ll be clear:

if I were a 1870 century settler, mixed race person,  african american, chinese or Irish, mexican or German inmigrant, a lady, a boy, a farmer, or a labour man, or a business man,  I would prefer the US cavalry and Army near, not the indians.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com