Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 333673 times)

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2007, 10:47:37 AM »
You know, I love almost all of them, but LAST STAND AT SABER RIVER is still one of my favorites.  Lots of Emotion, Much like Shane, a lot of mood involved.

But other than that:

Tombstone
Shane
The Searchers
The Shootist
Red River

And I could go on an on.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »
The Good the Bad and the Ugly--100%
I didn't see any votes for High Plains Drifter but I have to say no one has ever painted the town red like that before or since.

Books, good call on Dead Man, I was just thinking about that movie the other day.  Sure it's off beat but it really sucked me in.  The lone guitar for all the background music (Neil Young?) was perfect.

"Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night"

-William Blake Auguies of Innocence

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline slap happy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2008, 05:45:49 PM »
the shootist, lonesome dove, silverado, any tom selleck , or sam elliot western

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 11:11:22 PM »

Offline Will Penny

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »
I just went upstairs and dug out the old movie "Heaven's Gate" with Kris Kristofferson in it, its been about 15 years since I bought it and watched, but i was not into cowboy stuff then, happly I have to go to Roostermans to watch it as I don't have a VCR player anymore.. 3 hours and 40 minutes of cowboy stuff...if I remember right it is about the Johnson county wars??
Will Penny

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
Admit Nothing, deny everything

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
Just watched "the Shootist" for the umpteenth time.  Great performances from some classic cowboys.  Every time it's on, I get drawn in.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »
"The Shootist" has been on a lot lately.  Great movie--I watch it everytime too.
     The other Duke movie like that fer me ain't a western, but it drags me in whenever it's on..."The Longest Day"

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2008, 04:43:52 PM »
I just watched Dead Man last night.  Very interesting movie and the bounty hunters had me rolling!  Y'all should watch the deleted scenes for more of the "talkative" one. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2008, 07:57:20 PM »
I don't own it, but now I gotta get it again.  The hunters were strange--the guy with the dress...
     The head squishing is a bit much but I seen much worse

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2008, 07:43:26 AM »
Got to go with Conagher, Tombstone, Monte Walsh, The Searchers and The Shootist in no particular order.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2008, 01:17:22 PM »
"The Shootist" has been on a lot lately.  Great movie--I watch it everytime too.
     The other Duke movie like that fer me ain't a western, but it drags me in whenever it's on..."The Longest Day"

Leo
Here's a bit of trivia about "the Shootist" That some may not be aware of--- At the end of the movie Gillum shoots the bartender and throws the gun across the room--- At the end of rhe book Gillum shoots J.B. Books!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »
Here's a bit of trivia about "the Shootist" That some may not be aware of--- At the end of the movie Gillum shoots the bartender and throws the gun across the room--- At the end of rhe book Gillum shoots J.B. Books!

What on earth was his motivation?  Are there several other differences that would lead to that ending?

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2008, 04:39:46 PM »
I have not read the book, but  I understand the character of Gillum is a bit diffrently portrayed in the book and the movie. We all saw the movie and Guillum comes across as a good kid with a bit of a wild streak. In the book his character has been much more heavily influnced by his employer and it is Gillum's ambition to become a gunfighter. and what better way to make a name for one's self than to be known as the man that killed an (in)famious "Shootist"
 That's what I gather from the reviewer of the movie who claims to have read the book. He claims that the movie has been given what is commonly known as "a Hollywood ending."
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
Well I gotta find a copy of that book!

It was a great movie for the Duke to go out with.  I believe he knew he was sick when he made it.  He may have personaly had a hand in any plot changes.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2008, 08:57:26 PM »
Well I gotta find a copy of that book!

It was a great movie for the Duke to go out with.  I believe he knew he was sick when he made it.  He may have personaly had a hand in any plot changes.

Leo
I'm not positive but I think the book's title is diffrent than the movie's. But Here's the arthor's name who wrote the book---  Glendon Swarthout
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
I'm not positive but I think the book's title is diffrent than the movie's. But Here's the arthor's name who wrote the book---  Glendon Swarthout
I was wrong The name of the novel is "The Shootist"
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline minerotago

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2008, 02:09:26 AM »
'The Virginian' by Owen Wister and 'Shane' by Jack Schaeffer are my all time favourites I reckon and 'Destry Rides Again; comes in there as well.

Offline MMA10mm

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2008, 12:58:08 PM »
I am always surprised by the number of people who pick the Searchers as JW's all-time best western... I think it is the slowest JW movie ever made and does not have any better cinematography or acting than several other JW movies.

Want to see JW play a "darker" role as in Searchers, but with a far better story line and better co-stars?  Try The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.  That's tied as my all-time favorite JW movie, along with Rio Bravo.  (Fantastic supporting cast in Rio Bravo, which is what makes it slightly better than the two similar JW movies.)  I like all of the post WWII JW westerns, except The Searchers...  ::)

As far as other westerns, The Magnificent Seven is an absolute classic.  The Professionals and The Wild Bunch are outstandingly entertaining and pretty darn good portrayals for the turn-of-the-century time period.  The Outlaw Josie Wales is the one pre-Unforgiven Clint Eastwood western that lives up to decent story line, acting, and production standards.  There are a couple Charles Bronson westerns that aren't bad too.  I like Pat Garret and Billy the Kid if for no other reason than the double-barrel shotgun loaded with dimes!

For modern westerns, I really appreciate the quality in Dances w/ Wolves, Tombstone, any of the Tom Selleck/TBS movies (Monte Walsh, etc.), Open Range, and Unforgiven.  They all also have great casts, acting, and story lines.  I watch 'em all over-and-over again.  Conagher is also extremely well shot and acted.  Sam Elliot just exudes "Cowboy."

I'd love to see an all-star cast western, with Tom Selleck, Robert Duvall, and Sam Elliot working together.

There was a western movie shot a couple years ago around here by one of my former bosses.  I know just about everyone who acted in it and worked the set.  He's had it to several film companies and even took it to Cannes, but it hasn't been picked up.  I'm hoping he tries to get a direct-to-DVD-release deal, if no one will show it in the theaters...

Offline Nichols Creek Ranger

• Citizen
  • SASS 77627, SBSS, Shortgrass Rangers, Ok
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2008, 10:12:59 PM »
my favorites?!!!!

THE COWBOYS - John Wayne...phenomenal movie....absolute classic...PERIOD...End of discussion on this one!!!! Dont even argue with me on this one or I will shoot your testicles off!!!And if you dont get misty eyed when John Wayne dies in this movie, then your powder is too wet and you should just stay home and watch 'Desperate Houswives' with your woman.

EL DORADO - John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan
This is a "remake" ( or sorts) of one of John Wayne's older movies "Rio Bravo"...this is just a great basic western

I always quote the entire poem from El Dorado. It is actually Edgar Allen Poe who wrote it...here is a piece of the poem that "Mississippi" (James Caan) recites...

"When at last his strength, failed him at length, he came across a pilgrim shadow
Shadow, said he...where could it be, this land called El Dorado?
Over the mountains and the moon
Down the valley of the shadow
Ride, Boley ride, the shade replied
In search of El Dorado"

BIG JAKE  if anything happens at all. Anything. My fault, your fault, nobody's fault, I'm gonna blow your head off."

OUTLAW JOSEY WALES Of course....if you didnt mention this movie, then you just plain suck at picking westerns! LOL

TOM HORN with Steve McQueen.....should be on everyone's list!!!!

SILVERADO - I know, I know...not authentic and campy but I love it anyway...love the sound of those Henry Rifles in the movie

QUICK AND THE DEAD - The original, NOT the piece of crap with Sharon Stone in it...Kate Capshaw is one CURVACEOUS woman in this movie....OMG!!!!

THE SACKETTS!!!! back in the days of the old HBO westerns...classic with the same bunch of actors who paried up for The Shaodw Riders.

THE LONG RIDERS!!!  A lot of you younger guys probably have never heard of this one....this should rate close to the very top....dont watch it on tv...rent the DVD and see the entire movie...

OPEN RANGE with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall

LONESOME DOVE  a classic as well......

MY NAME IS NOBODY Terrence Hill and Henry Fonda...jsut plain spaghetti western fun.

LAST TRAIN TO GUNHILL Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn

IN PURSUIT OF HONOR with Don Johnson...retelling of a true story of U.S. Cavalry who, after being replaced by the new mechanized infantry, are ordered to take 400 cavalry remounts down to Mexico where they will be slaughtered since they are no longer needed. Johnson and others decide to save the horse and drive the herd north to Canada with the mechanized infantry giving chase...HBO movie...not bad....love the story

MAGNIFICENT SEVEN the original...not the sequel and certainly not the tv series....

THE SEARCHERS

THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER

You know, a lot of the modern 'westerns' just dont cut it for me much...I DO appreciate Tom Selleck trying hard to stay with authentic period guns and clothing and making decent westerns. Monty Walsh remake was great. He is a good horseman.

I used to love all the Spaghetti westerns......

Of course, to tell the truth, any John Wayne movie....

Anyone remember "Gunfight"....or was it "Gunfighter" ...with Johnny Cash?

I do like the old "Support Your Local Sherrif / Gunfighter" movies....almost all of Henry Fonda movies.....I loved all the light humor classic westerns of my youth....

Hey, does "Dances With Wolves" count?! How about "Windwalker" and "Winterhawk"? "The Mountain Men" or "Jeremiah Johnson"....?

I love Dances With Wolves (although not a 'western').....since I am a Native Maerican history major and, at 43 years of age, have been learning the  Lakota dialect of the Sioux language.

Hate to rain on your parade, but the actual line is  "Ride, boldly, ride"

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2008, 06:46:42 PM »
I used to love all the Spaghetti westerns......

You mean you saw each and every one of the 550+ spaghetti westerns? :o :o :)  Now there's a fan!  I've seen only about twenty or so of 'em.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline G. Harbinger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2008, 12:43:53 AM »
Hey, I'm glad to see somebody mentioned "Dead Man" with Johnny Depp.  That one's been overlooked a lot - and it is weird for sure -  but the costumming and guns are great - were else do you see a snubby 1860 poked into a guys face from a bedroll?  Or for that matter, a snubbed off 1849 Dragoon on the cover picture.  (Hey, I got an irrational interest in snubnosed percussions, what can I say.)
- G. Harbinger, Washington Territory

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com