Author Topic: Old Westerns on TCM  (Read 7058 times)

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Old Westerns on TCM
« on: April 24, 2004, 09:33:26 PM »
Every Saturday morning I watch the Westerns on Turner Classic Movies and usually 1 or 2 more durning the week.

Well this week there were two Errol Flynn movies:
"They Died with Their Boots On" and "Santa Fe Trail".

Both of these did a hugh injustice to actual history but they are both very entertaining. These two had a lot in common other than the lead actor. The leading lady in both was Olivia de Havilland and both started with the actors attending the U.S. Army Academy in New York.

The first of the two movies was the story of General George Custer (not true to history) and Custer was also a major character in Santa Fe Trail; played by Ronald Reagon.

I only wish they made movies like these today. Great stories, beautiful scenery and of course I especially like seeing the guns and horses. ;)

Hope ya can catch some of these great movies...
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
Re: Old Westerns on TCM
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 08:42:28 AM »
Howdy FloraBama Kid, welcome to CAS City!...So you like old westerns? Lets test your classic western movie knowledge!  ;) In this scene John Waynes slighly inebreated buddy is acting out a scene from a play he saw.  He say's "[villian]you must pay the rent. [heroine]But I can't pay the rent. [villian] YOU MUST PAY THE RENT! [heroine] But I CAN'T pay the rent. [hero] I'LL PAY THE RENT! [heroine] MY HERO!
O.k.FloraBama..What classic Duke movie am I referring to?

My all time favorite is Dances With Wolves but maybe not fair to compare this one with the the classics.  After that , Magnificent Seven, Shane, High Noon and one I've been waiting to see a long time again, Broken Lance.  I have to plug in and watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid at least once a year.  And let's not forget The Wild Bunch.  None of these really fit in the classic catagory (maybe Shane) but I prefer the later westerns, a lot of the old ones were pretty hokey or phony.
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 11:07:18 AM »
I have not a clue! But if I had to guess I would say "North to Alaska".  This doesn't sould like something Ward Bond would be say... ???

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:24:47 PM »

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 07:06:35 PM »
Dang it.....I was fishin.  I don't know fer sure either but been tryin to remember for a long time and was hopin you would know!  I believe it was 'Red River Valley' or somethin like that but woulndn't bet money on it.  Now I'm on a mission.  Gonna find out and will let you know......... Will Pluggum ::)
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 08:13:15 PM »
You left out The Searchers, Stagecoach, The Westerner, Desrty Rides again, High Noon,  Red River, The professionals, Gunfight at the OK Corral, and the Cavalry trilogy: Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, and Rio Grande.   The Searchers has to be the greatest Western ever made and the "Duke" should have won an Oscar for his Role as Ethan Edwards.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 04:46:46 PM »
Never did like "Dances With Wolves"  to revisionist for me.  I liked "Open Range" much better.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 09:24:34 AM »
I agree with Will Ketchum that OPen Range is better than "Dancing with Wolves"  I believe Open Range is a true gem!
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 11:48:12 AM »
Never did like "Dances With Wolves"  to revisionist for me.  I liked "Open Range" much better.

Will Ketchum
I liked em both. I even liked "Silverado" when Costner was a kid.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com