Author Topic: Uberti Remy Cylinders  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti Remy Cylinders
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:24:20 AM »
Sorry if this is repeating an earlier thread, but has anyone found Uberti .36 Remington cylinders undersize compared to the barrel?
Bore size measures at 0.378 but chamber is 0.373, is this usual with these? As you can imagine, they won't group worth a damn!

Disappointed UKshooter, who bought a pair!!!
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Uberti Remy Cylinders
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:49:49 PM »
That's typical.  A lot of Piettas are even further off.  They seem to work OK with a pure lead ball and a decent charge.  Once they hit the forcing cone the bullets tend to upset and fill the grooves.  Worse case scenario would be to ream the chambers a little and use .380" balls.  Mostly what's available locally are .375".  They seem to work OK at the ranges we shoot in CAS.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
I'll have to check my Uberti Remington chambers, but I haven't noticed the problem mainly because they've only been shot once as cap & ball, they now have Kirst 38 cylinders installed. 

More to the point, I've never had good luck with .375 balls in a 36, they'll roll back out of some cylinders, or are pulled back out by the loading ram, which would indicate to me that my chambers are larger than the .373 mentioned.  I have Uberti and Pietta Remingtons and Uberti Colts. 

Speer 375's work better than Hornady, incidently, they are more round and consistant in diameter.  I use .380 balls in all my 36's, and have no problems.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:02:31 PM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 08:37:31 PM »
I would try Flint's idea first: Get some .380 balls. They'll shave more lead while chambering but may well upset (obturate) to a larger diameter during the travel through the forcing cone or during acceleration down the barrel. If not, you will need to ream the chambers to create tack drivers.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:20:28 AM »
Cheers guys, I can see I'm not alone with this problem.
Unfortunately we can't have the cartridge conversion cylinders (I only wish!!).
So it looks like hedgerow engineering to fix the problem.
Most commercial workshops over here would run a mile if I turned up on their doorstep with parts for a gun!!
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 08:14:30 AM »
Hollow based conical bullets should shoot real good.  My Piettas have undersized chambers and shoot Ok with soft oversize balls and stiff charges ( the only charge that I will use ), . . . but when I load with hollow based connical bullets they are are tack drivers.

Good shootin', . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:52:31 AM »
Hollow based conical bullets should shoot real good.  My Piettas have undersized chambers and shoot Ok with soft oversize balls and stiff charges ( the only charge that I will use ), . . . but when I load with hollow based connical bullets they are are tack drivers.

Good shootin', . . . .  :)

What do you comdider a stiff charge?  ;D
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 04:38:58 PM »
stiff full charge 30 gr.   light charge 15 gr. plus cornmeal.  I have a spout that throws 40 gr.   If I was at Gettysburg and being charged by confederates with bayonets pointed at me I'd be using the 40 gr. charge.  It is powerful. More that ya want for "fun" shooting, . . . but would sure knock them rebs over, . . .  ;D

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »
stiff full charge 30 gr.   light charge 15 gr. plus cornmeal.  I have a spout that throws 40 gr.   If I was at Gettysburg and being charged by confederates with bayonets pointed at me I'd be using the 40 gr. charge.  It is powerful. More that ya want for "fun" shooting, . . . but would sure knock them rebs over, . . .  ;D

lol....Ive been wanting to try it at least once!

I hated to do it but I went out and shot about 39 45 Colts in my conversion cylinder. Very impressed with the groupings. I had to shoot what I already loaded with smokeless. Now I have about 125 shells to load up with BP. 
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 12:18:08 PM »
How did you get 30 to 40 gr in a 36 caliber chamber with a ball on top?
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Alabama

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »
He didn't Flint , I am sure he's talking about .44 ...........................
Pay attention to the threade darn Yankees ( Woflgang ) !!!!  ;D Ha ha ha LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's how the Civil War got started anyway , failure for the North to pay attention  ;D
I bet 30 or 40 would do a better job on the Union folks though , us Rebs are bullet proof Wolfgang  ;D

Alabama

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »
I'm shooting .44s

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com