Author Topic: .348 into 45-75 bunch more questions  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Black River Johnny

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.348 into 45-75 bunch more questions
« on: September 13, 2008, 07:30:49 PM »
Ok, the expander dies from c&h are here(great service by the way ;D) - Will a wax bullet work for fireforming? I have a bunch of wax bullets for fast draw and was wondering if they would work, or what else can I use instead of lead bullets? What powder am I supposed to use, I plan I only shooting bp and I know that wont work so please spare the lecture on filling the case with bp. I have only a little smokless on hand - reloader 15- imr 4831- and xmr 4350 -- will any of those work?
thanks
John

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: .348 into 45-75 bunch more questions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:20:13 PM »
Ok, the expander dies from c&h are here(great service by the way ;D) - Will a wax bullet work for fireforming? I have a bunch of wax bullets for fast draw and was wondering if they would work, or what else can I use instead of lead bullets? What powder am I supposed to use, I plan I only shooting bp and I know that wont work so please spare the lecture on filling the case with bp. I have only a little smokeless on hand - reloader 15- imr 4831- and xmr 4350 -- will any of those work?
thanks
John

Hi, John.

You will get a much better result by just using a lead bullet.  As for powder, you can certainly use BP to fire form the cases.  Be aware that I may take four or five firing before you beat that 348 brass into shape!  Be prepared for a slight coke bottle effect with the first firing.  Don't worry it's not a problem and it goes away! ;D

As for smokeless powders, I usually use H4895 or 5744.  I have no experience with any of the others you named.  Of the group, my choice, if it is all I had, would be the 4831.  Okdee has used it in the 45-60.  See his thread.

Good luck, John. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:42:08 PM »
thanks grizz,

I just ran my 50 348 cases through the expanders. It went pretty good i did loose 3 to splitting. i don't have graphite lube just the rcbs stuff you get but they went pretty good, the 3 cases that i lost were dented at the mouth pretty good and I tried to open them a little and I think that is why they split. now to do the rest.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:46:57 AM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 08:41:54 AM »
Remember to set the first trim at about 1.91 or so.  When you fire form them, they "shrink" in this caliber.  After a couple of firings you can trim them to 1.89 - if needed.  Don't worry about them going through the action at this point - just load single shot if needed. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 12:29:47 PM »
I trimmed them to 1.93 as per one of john boy's posts.
thanks for the reminder

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 07:29:18 PM »
I trimmed them to 1.93 as per one of john boy's posts.
thanks for the reminder

That'll work. ;)
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com