Author Topic: NM Vaquero "free" free spin mod  (Read 91393 times)

Offline Buck Rawhide

• RATS #446
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NM Vaquero "free" free spin mod
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
Howdy,

Pretty new to CAS and single action revolvers but not firearms in general.  Recently got my first pistol as I build toward my first match.  Have already put a couple hundred rounds through my 4 5/8" SS new model Vaquero.  I have been all over the forums looking for action mods, etc.
Just put a set of Wolff springs in it along with a full disassembly and cleanup.  I can see where the free spin mod is useful.  Looks like lots of guys will take the pawl/hand and stone or grind a flat on it to make a free spin pawl out of it.

After some research, I've found that the NM Vaquero already comes with a factory stock free spin pawl in it.  Meaning that the pawl is fully retracted away from the cylinder ratchets when the hammer is forward.  The clicks you hear are from the Reverse Indexing Pawl, which is a small spring loaded plunger located just below the base pin and next to the pawl window.  The brass setscrew that holds the plunger in is located under the firing pin behind the transfer bar.

I removed the setscrew with a 1/16" allen wrench during a full disassembly.  I bet you could remove it by cocking the hammer and playing with the trigger position, maybe.  Either way, put it all back together and when you open the loading gate, the cylinder is free to spin in either direction.  I saved the setscrew, spring, and plunger in the parts box in case I ever need to put it back in but I don't know when that would be....

Overall very happy with the mod and thought it would be worth sharing.  Saves a guy from grinding on his stock pawl or going out and spending $$ for an aftermarket pawl.

Take care,
Buck

Offline Red Butler

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: NM Vaquero "free" free spin mod
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:53:08 AM »
Thanks your insightful information.  I followed your instructions and I now have a free spinning cylinder as per your posted instructions.

My only concern is that maybe there could be some future problems develop as a result of removing these parts.  How long have you been shooting your guns with these parts removed?  Any assoiciated problems?  I can't imangine just what they would be (???).

Another question comes to mind is to why wouldn't Ruger offer up this information in their owners manual?  Potential liability? 

I'm going to keep shooting my guns w/out these parts until I hear differently.  Thanks again for the good information.  Clay

Offline Kinda Sudden

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
Been shootin mine like this for over 2 years. Cannot believe how long it is taking everyone to figure it out ;D Some would tell you that cocking the hammer hard and fast could possibly cause inertia to make the cylinder spin too fast for the latch to lock up. Not so. Most are still missing the biggest benefit of running yours like this. If you ever have a bullet jump crimp and move forward, all you have to do is open the loading gate and back the cylinder up to free it. I do this and a few other things I won't post that makes a nice difference with the NV.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:47:04 PM »

Offline Buck Rawhide

• RATS #446
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:01:05 PM »
Thanks your insightful information.  I followed your instructions and I now have a free spinning cylinder as per your posted instructions.

My only concern is that maybe there could be some future problems develop as a result of removing these parts.  How long have you been shooting your guns with these parts removed?  Any assoiciated problems?  I can't imangine just what they would be (???).

Another question comes to mind is to why wouldn't Ruger offer up this information in their owners manual?  Potential liability? 

I'm going to keep shooting my guns w/out these parts until I hear differently.  Thanks again for the good information.  Clay

Red, I've put a couple hundred through it so far with the plunger, spring, and setscrew removed.  No problems and I expect there never will be...  Ruger installed that plunger to center the chambers with the loading gate and installed the freespin pawl to allow the whole thing to work real slick.  Take a look at your cylinder next time it is out and you will see marks from the plunger over the ratchets.  By removing the plunger you are actually wearing your cylinder less  :P

Kinda Sudden, looks like you and I are on the same page.  I would say I'm a couple years late but have only owned this Vaquero for a month so I'm just getting started tinkering with these  :)

Take care,
Buck

Offline Sespe Badger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:45:38 PM »
Red, I've put a couple hundred through it so far with the plunger, spring, and setscrew removed.  No problems and I expect there never will be...  Ruger installed that plunger to center the chambers with the loading gate and installed the freespin pawl to allow the whole thing to work real slick.  Take a look at your cylinder next time it is out and you will see marks from the plunger over the ratchets.  By removing the plunger you are actually wearing your cylinder less  :P

Kinda Sudden, looks like you and I are on the same page.  I would say I'm a couple years late but have only owned this Vaquero for a month so I'm just getting started tinkering with these  :)

Take care,
Buck

I'm going to have to try this.  I took 5 misses on a stage this weekend because of a high primer.  It was the last round loaded.  If I had a free-spin, I might have been able to back it up.  After that stage, I no longer did the load-one-skip-one-load-four method.  I just loaded 5 and kept moving the cylinder around until I got the empty lined up.  Being able to rotate backwards will make this easier.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 01:35:04 PM »
I have seen about maybe 25% of the "New" Vaquero shooters come across the loading table with this mod done. 
Seems to work fine as far as I can see.  I don't shoot any "New" Vaqueros, so I ain't tried it.

For those of you who load 1, skip 1, load 4 (ala Colt) you really don't have to do that.   ???
You can actually spin the cylinder (in correct rotation) once loaded to see if you have a high primer. 
We always do it & no one has ever said a thing about it.   Just stop turning when you get the empty chamber under the hammer.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Sespe Badger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »
I have seen about maybe 25% of the "New" Vaquero shooters come across the loading table with this mod done. 
Seems to work fine as far as I can see.  I don't shoot any "New" Vaqueros, so I ain't tried it.

For those of you who load 1, skip 1, load 4 (ala Colt) you really don't have to do that.   ???
You can actually spin the cylinder (in correct rotation) once loaded to see if you have a high primer. 
We always do it & no one has ever said a thing about it.   Just stop turning when you get the empty chamber under the hammer.

MG

I was shown that technique at the unloading table after my bad stage.  I used it the rest of the match... ::)

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »
Sespe Badger:

I took the liberty of making you a RATS member.
C'mon back now---Ya hear?

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Swifty Morgan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 04:03:39 PM »
I'll tell you folks this...
Sespe may have had that one bad stage, but as far as outfit and gun cart? A+!!!
Well done Sir!

RTH

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 01:21:23 PM »

MG

MG, When you get to the empty chamber what happens? Does the cylinder "lock" into place there? If it doesn't how do you keep it from spinning when holstering or drawing?
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Offline Buck Rawhide

• RATS #446
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »
MG, When you get to the empty chamber what happens? Does the cylinder "lock" into place there? If it doesn't how do you keep it from spinning when holstering or drawing?

The gun will only free wheel when the loading gate is open.  After you have loaded your 5 rounds, verify the empty chamber is under the hammer and close the loading gate.  The cylinder latch will come up and lock the cylinder.  If you don't have it exactly lined up, you may have to move the cylinder a bit to get the latch to pop in. 
Take care,
Buck

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 05:37:26 PM »
The gun will only free wheel when the loading gate is open.  After you have loaded your 5 rounds, verify the empty chamber is under the hammer and close the loading gate.  The cylinder latch will come up and lock the cylinder.  If you don't have it exactly lined up, you may have to move the cylinder a bit to get the latch to pop in. 
Take care,
Buck

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;D...What was I thinking...I shuuda known that. Boy sometimes I wonder where I left my brains.

Thanks Buck
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314

Offline Buck Rawhide

• RATS #446
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 11:49:29 PM »
Picked up my second, identical, non-sequential serial numbered NM Vaquero tonight.  Brought it home, took it apart, put the light springs in it and pulled out the reverse indexing pawl.  Free Spin before it ever has any rounds through it.

Take care,
Buck

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 07:24:47 PM »
I did the free spin fix on 2 of my NRV's but haven't shot them yet...but it sure is COOL :D.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 07:37:41 PM »
Just did the free spin modification to my New Model Vaquero. Just like Buck Rawhide said I didn't have to disassemble anything. The set screw can be reached from the outside under the transfer bar with the hammer cocked. Takes about 60 seconds. Already have a Wolfe spring kit in it, so didn't have to disassemble again. The only thing I miss is that cool sounding click when you spin the cylinder. ;D ;D
Thanks for sharing pard's.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 03:03:19 PM »
When I picked up a set of sequentially numbered NM Vaqs (well used), I was a bit dosappointed as I had read somewhere that they had free spin cylinder. This is obviously what I was reading about. I have a Wolff spring set, I must clean off my bench and operate!

By the way, most of us who load one, miss one are just trying to be correct cowboys, a lot of shooters I see, spin the cylinder to ensure there are no high primers. I check them before I get to the range. I have enough snaffus without adding another variable.  ;D
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Marshal Rooster Cogburn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 01:21:17 AM »
Just made this modification to my new set of sequential 4 5/8in Vaqueros.  I’m very pleased and it took all of a couple of minutes to complete.

Thanks for posting this info.

Rooster

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 09:40:47 AM »
Likewise - I know this is an older post, but I just got my NMV's recently and just did the same mods on them today. Thanks for keeping the info available

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 08:28:07 PM »
Thanks for keeping the active posts . Just did my 2 RNV's . Neat.
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 10:07:31 PM »
No problem, Dutchy!! :o
We'll keep the good ones close.
MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com