Author Topic: 7 1/2 45 colt shoots to high  (Read 9350 times)

04jeep

7 1/2 45 colt shoots to high
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:21:51 PM »
I got a new Cimarron model p in 7 1/2 it shoots about foot high a 7-10 yards im using starline brass 5.5 gr trailboss with 255 cci primers rnfp,any good loads for a 7.5 gun ? help me out/.......

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 7 1/2 45 colt shoots to high
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 03:52:19 PM »
Howdy o4jeep

That's about normal for your load, at close range with my 4 4/8" colt, at this range I would always aim at least a foot or better below my target, Back in the old west when in gun fights at this range with full house loads , they would aim at their opponents belt buckle, and if lucky hit in the chest area, if you want to bring your point of aim more inline with your point of impact, try useing a lighter bullet like 200 gr. or lower 165 GR. , I like the 200 gr. better for this and you will need to reduce you foot per second down to 650/750 FPS. hope this helped. ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 04:16:49 PM »
I have finally learned the lesson.  Shoot low if you want to hit the target.  Now that I know they use to aim at the belt buckle in hopes of hitting the chest area,  I feel much better about my accuracy.   ;D
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:42:56 AM »

04jeep

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:06:21 PM »
ok the 200gr sounds good what about a good load for trailboss or titegroup.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:15:47 AM »
Mornin’, Jeep, pards.

How about lookin’ to the powder manufacturers’ data?  Straight from the hossy’s mouth.

http://www.hodgdon.com/

http://www.imrpowder.com/HomePage.html

G’luck.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 01:49:27 PM »
I have finally learned the lesson.  Shoot low if you want to hit the target.  Now that I know they use to aim at the belt buckle in hopes of hitting the chest area,  I feel much better about my accuracy.   ;D

The old time big caliber six-guns were sighted to hit a man at up to 100 yards with out hold over or hold under.  You aimed not at the belt buckle, but the Solar Plexus just above the belly button.  This depending on the range would hit there, the chest or even the neck and face.  They hit dead on at about 65-70 yards, after that up to about 100 yards the bullet drop put it in the belly or groin.  A hit by a large caliber bullet in any of these places will make most men a bit sick feeling and take all or most of the fight out of them.

This means that these guns had a "point blanck" range of about 100 yards.  The term point blank range used in the proper non-TV non-News Reporter terms simpley means the maximum range on can hit that particular target with that particular load in the proper place with that firearem.

Point Blank Range varies with the target, load and firearm.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 06:43:13 PM »

:D ;D It would all depend on where the buckle was, some pards wear their pants high and some wear them low, but you can figure at 7 to 10 yd. if you aim a good foot below the chest area , you will most likely hit in the chest area, thats when shooting full house loads, with the lighter loads we shoot in this game , point of aim is the same as POI. ( IMHO )

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:54:20 PM »
In the old west men didn't wear a belt to hold their pants up.  Suspenders if they would not stay up by themselves.  Would have a belt buckle if he had a gun belt on.  Wouldn't be wearing the buckle in the back either! ;D  Yea, I know I'm being picky.  Comes on me once and a while.  Had it real bad today!  This has been a very interesting topic! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:40:45 AM »
Try 5.8G of TB with that 200g bullet. Works real well in my  NRV's. IIRC, the 5.5g load is the bottom line load for the 200's, 5.8g is about the halfway point....................Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »
In the old west men didn't wear a belt to hold their pants up.  Suspenders if they would not stay up by themselves.  Would have a belt buckle if he had a gun belt on.  Wouldn't be wearing the buckle in the back either! ;D  Yea, I know I'm being picky.  Comes on me once and a while.  Had it real bad today!  This has been a very interesting topic! ;D

Howdy Dr. Bob

Aiming at the buckle to hit the chest, is just a reference point,or just to let you know how much jump there can be in different loads, and different guns will all handle differently, so you need to get to the range and see how they print on paper with the load you're going to use, so you can get the idea of where to aim at, at close range with full house loads, and a 255 gr. bullet your going to have recoil, that big bullet is going to cause it , usually aiming a foot below where you want to hit AT CLOSE RANGE, ( with full house loads ) will get you where you want to go, and I'm sure you know that, but for the newbi, this can be really flustrating, so for you newbi's useing less powder ( less than a full house loads ) and a lighter bullet ( not a 255 gr. bullet ) like a 165 to 200 gr. bullet , will get you more in line with your POA & POI, try some of the different ammo that is available for Cowboy shooting and you will see what I mean, I like full house loads myself, but you need to learn how they work, Cowboy ammo is user freindly, and a lot easier to shoot , so give them a try, I hope this helped.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »
My comments were about the original spec BP loads and similar Nitro loads.   The Solar Plexus hold gives one a point black range of around a 100 yards with 38-40, 44-40, 44 Russian, 44 Colt, 45 S&W and 45 Colt, that covers pretty well all the large Manstopper Calibers.  Unless some one is real short that hold will put it in anywhere from the groin to upper chest out to 100 yards.  That is the way they were intended to be used when designed in the 19th Century.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 06:50:31 PM »
According to my ballistic calculator a foot high at 10 yards should be dead on at 400 yards. I doubt thats what colt had in mind. From what I've read and seen many people would file the front sight on their revolvers to raise poi because they hit low. In my personal experience all 4 of my cimarron model P's hit arround 4 inches low at 15-20 yards. Thats with a 255 going 850-900fps. The percussion colts are known to hit up to a foot high but not the model 1873 from what I've read. My theory as to why yours hits so high is its either a mechanical condition or your load. Your front site may be too short or the barrel screwed in crooked. Your load may also be too slow which I acredit to using trail boss which was designed to give poor performance at normal pressures. Another possibility is your not seeing the top of the thin front sight which must be level with the top of the U and in focus when the shot breaks. Not saying your wrong just that I've never seen a model P hit that high out of the box. Good luck

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »
There is a bit more drop than 10 inches to any of them calibers at 400 yards, if not then I'm gonna have my Low-Wall rebarreled to one, sure shoots a lot flatter than the 22 Hornet it's chambered for right now. :)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

04jeep

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 08:01:32 PM »
ok maybe i might be sighting wrong here with the 7.5 inch im shooting at a plate the size of a 5 gal bucket and i have to aim at the bottom of the plate to hit and that about 10-12 yards it im going to try some 200gr bullets and that might help,thanks you all for the input... ;D ;D :D

04jeep

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »
Lighter bullet ,higher vel. will lower impact on target.
Barrel time for bullet will effect muzzle rise  and hits.

Willy

Offline IT KIDD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 11:40:02 AM »
pard, forget it!! send your gun to munden enterprises (check website) for $45.00 returned within two weeks, he puts in barrel vise and will zero for you. upon return you will be very happy!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com