Author Topic: Marlin 1894C  (Read 8335 times)

Offline warren126

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Marlin 1894C
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:06:11 AM »
Hi Y'all;
I'm pretty much a newbie here. I do own a Ruger Vaquero, .357 and man is it fun to shoot. Been looking for quite a while for an 1894C; but you can't find one anywhere. Well; last week I decided to go to the local Cabela's and check out their used rifles. The only cowboy rifle was a Puma in .45. I really want a .357; same as the 6-gun. Well. I meandered around to the new gun side and headed for the lever-guns. What to my surprise is sitting right out in front; but a Marlin 1894C in .357. I took a number and when they called it I got a-hold of my first 1894C. "SOLD", I said. What a nice piece. Can't wait to shoot it. Going to take it to the range tuesday. I do have a question though. What is "safe" style ammo for these rifles,, as far as the "chain reaction" firing in the magazine is concerned. Can I use any flat-point ammo? I have WInchester JSP that I am going to try. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the respone.
Happy Trails

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Marlin 1894C
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »
i have used lot of different bullet designs in my 1894 44 rem mag all seemed to do well allways had a flat point
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:33:13 AM »
As long as that "flat Point" is of a diameter that is larger than the primer diameter of the cartridge in front of it, you should be okay.......................Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:35:32 PM »

Offline warren126

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »
Took the new 1894 to the shootin range last tuesday evening. Using the bench rest at 25 yards; I almost cut the bullseye out of the target. Man is this thing fun to shoot. I was using Mag-Tech .357 Cowboy Action loads. In standing position I was able to keep all shots inside the outer circle, not many bulls, but all shots within an  8" group. Not too bad for my wobbly aiming. I think I'm hooked on this little gun. I also took my Marlin Golden 39A .22 I've had since 1965 and shot it. These 2 lever guns are a lot of fun.
At the last set I moved the target to 50 yards. I messed up though and also changed ammo to Remington .357 JSP's. I ended up shooting over the top most of the time. The only paper I cut was a few shots above the circles. I couldn't see if I was hitting the target or not until I retrieved it after cease fire. I guess I shouldn't have changed ammo. I did not shoot any .38 sp.. Oh, well; it's a good excuse to go back and shoot some more.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 07:05:24 PM »
I absolutely love my older, pre-safety and micro-groove 1894C.  With full-up (non-cowboy) 158-gain JHP .357 rounds it shoots pretty danged flat all the way out to about 230 yards.

I shoot 45 Colt in my cowboy match guns (a 66 carbine and a brace of '58 Remmies with conversion cylinders), but have the 94C and a pair of "1851 Richards-Masons" in .38 Special as backups.

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »
Hi Y'all;
I'm pretty much a newbie here. I do own a Ruger Vaquero, .357 and man is it fun to shoot. Been looking for quite a while for an 1894C; but you can't find one anywhere. Well; last week I decided to go to the local Cabela's and check out their used rifles. The only cowboy rifle was a Puma in .45. I really want a .357; same as the 6-gun. Well. I meandered around to the new gun side and headed for the lever-guns. What to my surprise is sitting right out in front; but a Marlin 1894C in .357. I took a number and when they called it I got a-hold of my first 1894C. "SOLD", I said. What a nice piece. Can't wait to shoot it. Going to take it to the range tuesday. I do have a question though. What is "safe" style ammo for these rifles,, as far as the "chain reaction" firing in the magazine is concerned. Can I use any flat-point ammo? I have WInchester JSP that I am going to try. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the respone.
Happy Trails

Flat nose is fine .  I load home cast Round Nose .

Some people freak out about RN ammo in a lever gun .

Well , I have several boxes of jacketed RN soft point .30-30 factory Federal ammo .

No telling how many million rounds of this has been sold ?  If Federal's lawyers are not worried , I figure I should not be worried about round nose ammo in lever guns .

SWC's are safe , but may or may not feed in a lever gun ( a wheel gun does not care ) .

God bless
Wyr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com