Author Topic: Tombstone Az  (Read 3136 times)

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
Tombstone Az
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »
My wife is planning on dragging me to Las Vegas next March for 4 days and I'm not very excited about it at all, I'm considering a side trip to Tombstone- 477 miles away. It is one of the old west towns I would like to see. I was wondering if any of you have been there and what you thought? I was looking on the internet and the bird cage theater sounds neat
Born 110 years too late

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Tombstone Az
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »
The Tombstone Ghostriders shoot in Tombstone on the Second Saturday of the month.  Los Vaqueros shoots there on the Third Saturday.  Both clubs have wonderful people and some of the best shooters in SASSdom.  You'll enjoy our shoots, I'm sure.

Tombstone has a lot of tourist shops, so if you need some magnets for the 'fridge, you'll find a great selection there.  There are also a few interesting shops with real stuff, if your wallet permits.  The town itself is interesting, but the commercial nature of the shops seems to have chased all the ghosts out of town.  It's worth seeing and interesting.  Perhaps more interesting are Sequaro National Park West, the Sonoran Desert Museum, and even Old Tucson Studios.  The Tumacacora Mission ruins and San Javier del Bac Mission are also very interesting places.  There is a Ghost Town down in the San Pedro River valley just outside Tombstone where the ghosts still live. 

While I can't give Tombstone a full thumbs up, the Sonoran desert around there can be very interesting!!

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:52:15 AM »
I also think Ft. huachuka has a museum with some indian war items.   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:55:28 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:10:30 AM »
Fort We Gotcha Ya!  Yes they have a great museum and a lot of the original stone Bldgs.  Old Tucson is not the same since the big fire they had several years ago, but it's still a neat place to go. Tombstone has become a Tourist Trap, but a lot of the original bldgs. still exist. You also need to visit Boot Hill.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:44:29 AM »
Tombstone you can do in a little less than a day. The Bird Cage is a must see!  Sonoran Desert Museum is a real nice place, on your walk through all the critters do have the right of way. Old Tucson, nah. Although you'll notice a lot of stuff you have seen in movies.

Best bet, change directions and go north of the Phoenix area. No lack of things to do there. Stop into True West Magazine in Cave Creek(a great little old town where folks still ride horses to the fantastic resturants). We met Bob Boze Bell and he drew us out a cool day trip loop to drive. Stop into the ice cream store in Apache Junction for some prickley pear ice cream. Superstition mountain & Gold field are goodspots. Whiskey Row on the square in Prescott is a good time. Just the drivie through the areas is a site to see. On and on, just some thoughts.

Pit Mule
fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
Nebraska Territorial Rangers
Member: The Naughty Posse
SASS #29220 ( Classic Cowboy )
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO
Don't underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, & notice more than you realize.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 09:58:32 AM »
As for Prescott, the saloons are authentic. You see blood on the floors.  You need to visit the Vendome hotel. It has been restored and you can stay there.  Tom Mix stayed there when he was makin' movies out there.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:24:40 PM »
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,18455.0.html

I reiterate my enthusiasm for Kartchner State Park.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com