Author Topic: Pinned Front Sight Adjustments...  (Read 2071 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pinned Front Sight Adjustments...
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:59:03 AM »
Adjusting the point of impact on a fixed-sight revolver has gotten a lot of ink, over time.

Most are familiar with the filing techniques used and the search for a load that the weapon likes, and eventually, the two meet to achieve a happy medium.

There's a fix that the Brits worked out for their big Webleys that may prove useful to those who shoot revolvers with pinned front sights that I'll relate at this time.

This particular adaptation was made for the massive Mark VI Webley of WWI fame, but there's no reason a competent guy can't figure it out for himself.

What they did was to take the existing front sight to use as the basis for adjustment, as it could easily be removed via a small screw, in lieu of a pin.

They then added more material to either side - depending - giving a left or right 'offset' to the front sight that varied by thickness, and thus adjusted the bullet's strike without further modification to the service weapon, and they provided differing heights as well.

They then marked these blades with the overall thickness, and Armourers were provided with them for use as needed.

I wound up with several a few years back, when I got a Mark VI and associated medals (including the Mons Star and Bar) to one of the 'Old Contemptibles' -  a Trooper in the 17th Lancers.

You could do this modification by adding a shim and silver-soldering it to the side of your front sight and re-pinning it.

Getting several replacement front sight blades from VTI could give you a number of varying thicknesses to try on either side of the blade, yet wouldn't affect the finish at all.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com