Special Interests - Groups & Societies > USFA CSS

USPFA and USFA SA Differences

(1/1)

Hobie:
Good evening. 

Been going round and round about this subject.  The only topic I could find on differences between USPFA and USFA guns was on case colors. 

John Taffin told me to be certain to check for Italian parts without a clue as to what, exactly, to look for.  Seems that the frames might have a cut in the hammer "slot" for an importable safety mechanism (needed on Italian guns).  Now, I've got a USFA gun with such a frame.  Box marked USFA, gun marked USFA (single line on barrel) and 6-digit serial.  I just bought one of the "sale" guns with spare .45 ACP cylinder and it hasn't got this extra frame cut and only has a 5-digit serial number.  Supposedly they built this one "for me" because they were sold out for the sale but wanted to honor the advertising/offer.  Ummmm. 

Sure is a dearth of historical info on these guns (as noted elsewhere, several/many times).  Any help appreciated. 

Capt. John Fitzgerald:
Hobie,
I'm surprised No one has jumped in on this one yet.
When USFA started out back in 1993, as US Patent FA, their guns were made up entirely from Italian (Uberti) parts that were fit and finished here.  Around 1994 the name was changed to USFA.  The word Patent was dropped as a result of legal action brought by Colt.  During the period of 1994 to 1997, USFA started introducing US made parts and the guns were a mix of both Uberti and US made parts.  Your gun, with the cutout in the hammer channel, was undoubtedly made sometime during this period.  I think that it is fairly safe to assume that all USFA guns made from 2000 to present are entirely US made.  I may be a bit off with some dates but believe that the one I have given are in the ball park. 
Don't know what to say about that 6 digit serial number.  All of my USFA's are of post 2000 manufacture and all have 5 digit serial numbers. 

Hobie:
Your response is pretty much what I've come up with independtly.  About the serials I know nothing.  I did discover that USFA will do a letter for $50.  Not certain that I'm that interested...  ;) 

I just bought a Henry Nettleton (couldn't pass it up for the price) and of course it is all USA made.  The fellow I bought the earlier gun from believed it to be all USA made.  I think he'd be disappointed to discover otherwise and I've not approached him about since I got the gun. 

Another interesting thing, to me at least, is the wide variation in grip profiles.  The earliest gun has the one-piece walnut stocks and these are flush to the metal all-around.  The HN one-piece stands a bit proud of the frame at the top and feels "fuller".  The made 3 weeks ago gun has the plastic stocks and they taper a bit to the top.  Each gun feels very different in the hand because of this.   

Advertising:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version