Author Topic: champions' guns.  (Read 3248 times)

Offline pinto bean

• pinto bean
  • Active citizen
    • google
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
champions' guns.
« on: July 13, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »
it seems all of you like the guns that you have,but i'm trying to decide. i bought a uberti '73 short rifle in .45 lc so i 'm fixed there.
so tell me what the champion class shooters use in the way of shotguns and revolvers. maybe this will help me separate the pepper from the fly specks.

thanx,gents

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
Re: champions' guns.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »
My friend it ain't the guns that make a champion...

The current SASS world champions shoot different types of rifles, pistols and shotguns.
Most of what a shooter uses is determined by what "fits" or what is required in a specific shooting catagory.

For rugged duribility it's really hard to beat Ruger revolvers and a sturdy double barrel shotgun (Stoeger for example.)

What makes a champion in CAS is hours of practice, hard work and dedication no matter what guns you use.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:17:10 PM »
Practice, Practice, Practice...

Putting in the focused range time and the dry-fire time are what makes a top shooter.

The equipment is secondary to that, and you'll find that ergonomically, some weapons fit you better than others, so give them all a try if you can.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:02:08 AM »

Offline pinto bean

• pinto bean
  • Active citizen
    • google
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:28:16 AM »
gents,i'm too old(66) and stove up to to aspire to that level of expertise. i am just curious about what the big boys use and if there is any commonality at all.-sxs vs pump,73 vs 92,ruger vs various clones. personally, i don't want to buy now and regret later.
my current interest is in the great western 2(photo-engraved) with true ivory grips and the ruger vaquero limited edition with true-ivory grips. also i have been led to believe that the ';97 pump is a bit quicker to shoot and reload than the ttn outside hammer sxs.

thanx

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
Go with the Rugers and the 97 pump takes as much practice to get fast as the Stoger hammerless SxS

I'm 60 and have been playing the gamefor 13 years now...

Go to a match (Greenville) and try the different guns. Most pards will be happy to let you shoot theirs.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:37:48 PM »
You have already got a '73, a good choice for rifle. Since you went with 45lc, stay with it. Latch onto some Ruger Vaqueros in 45lc and that way all your cartridge ammo can be exactly the same and simplify things for you. Keeping things simple has helped me and I am 65 years old. If you don't have to worry about small stuff with your firearms it makes it better to concentrate on just what you will do with them, loaded up and ready for the firing line.
SXS shotguns are not as probe to troubles as a '97, but that is my opinion. Either one for a shotgun will work great for you. You can shoot an internal hammers SXS BTW.

Quicker is what is in the hands of quicker folks. I could hand my stuff off to a Badlands Bud and his times would not be all that much longer than with his own shootin' irons. In fact he has done just that a few years back, when I lent him a SXS and he normally shoots a slick '97.

Concentrate on getting it right and practice. I would love to see you a champion in senior or senior duelist.

As was suggested, get on out to a shoot. Most everyone will welcome you and let you try different brands. Just do it!  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 01:23:46 PM »
The selection of guns depends in part on what category you intend to shoot.  If you are going to shoot BP, for example, you can't use a 97 shotgun.  In some categories your revolvers have to be over .40 caliber.  What category(ies) do you intend to shoot?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com