Author Topic: I brewed up some Walnut Brown!  (Read 6653 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I brewed up some Walnut Brown!
« on: July 09, 2008, 08:24:32 PM »
 I think if something would go right tomorrow, I would try the brown! I must say that either everyone is so busy with the summer attivates or so busy don't have time to post any new leathers good's i havn't been out for the last couple weeks, it has been hot, humid ! Got a couple mules to get done, and then I tought about starting practing on carving ::) ??? ::) :o
 i need to find a place to buy tracing or transfer film. I how there is a diff. but I don't know what, If someone will jump in here where would be the cheapest place to get which one I need! I look at our closest Wal Mart and they din't have anything except something in a folder up bag.

As allways, i will be very great full for any and all advice!!!
Thanks ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: I brewed up some Walnut Brown!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 09:12:19 PM »
I'm waiting for the new batch of hulls to happen on the trees. Then I'll do it again. I really want to do a good, warm brown. The steel wool in mine made it a bit greyed so I'll probably do another batch soon. My wife wants the refrigerator space back so I'll have to vacate it for a week or so before doing it again. ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:36:32 PM »
I can believe that! Flat rate boxe rate went up to $9.95, but I offer this, most you cab n get and have away to get green walnuts, I won't want to send out 25 boxes but if someone has no place a tall to get any, I will get you a box and send it to you if you want to pay the $9.95 shipping>
Since so many people on here have help me, I will allways give back if I can! But PLEASE DON'T ASK IF YOU CAN GET SOME, my back will not let me go pick up a pickup bed full, i wish it would!!!! But I don't mind sending out some! And I think all of you will undersdtand!!

If you are in need give me a pm!
Update will be coming!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:33:39 PM »

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:45:13 PM »
Ace, when I started I used regular tracing paper for patterns. I just put them into a plastic bag, and traced onto the leather through the plastic. Worked well, but then I found the stuff that engineers use to draw up blueprints and such. Its like very heavy tracing paper, with a smooth side, and a slightly rougher side to draw on. Once I get my patterns on it, I spray it with a clear paint to fix it permanent.
Hobby Lobby carries rolls of Vellum paper, if you ever get that way. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline kid sheleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • "He did it! He missed the barn!
    • Circle M Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 11:02:03 PM »
Ace,  I get tracing film and most everything else from a company here in NC called Zack White leather.  They're reasonable and all the leather I have gotten from there has been top notch.  Even the import stuff.  Try www.eleatherworks.com

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 12:29:59 AM »
Ace
Tandy sells the tracing film.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 06:22:57 AM »
I am going to the Tandy store Sat. and I will pick up some of that tracing film, unless you Pards think that the tracing paper is better? I don't have a clue my self on which one to buy ??? ??? And I might be getting ahead of myself on trying to learn to crave, I still have a lot of improving to do on just plain groves and stamping ect, our humidity is so high, a piece can look like and feel cool to the face and still be to soft to run your groover around it. ???
 And as far as you guys talking about the leather feeling like clay ( I don't have any clue to that, how can it look like it is back to it's orginal color and feel like clay? I don't think I know how to properly case, I read, i have talk on the forum, I talked to TW on the phone, but it is still a guessing game to me!) Atleast I have tons of scrap, and maybe my problem is that I have only been using scrap leather that I have bought of another leathersmith, and it might be that leather is a import, I am sure by the way the run his busness that if he could buy it cheap he would, I have never seen a piece of anything he has done that is tooled or stamped! he has some sort of wholesale buiness so who knows. But I am going to buy me a peice of the oak leaf Sat. and I will have some real leather to try.

As allways, I will be very great full for any  advice, help, or anything!! I still don't understand how a piece of leather can look allmost dry and feel like clay! How does that work? I have read, and read,and hear you guys talk about it!

Thanks
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Horse Pen Henry aka M.T. Hulls
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys...and Indians.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 06:59:25 AM »
Ace, I have a couple of stitching groovers. One cuts better on dry leather and the other cuts better on damp leather.

I think once you get to carving you will find the way you are casing leather and letting it return to its natural color will tool up nicely. The core of the leather will be damp enough to take impressions nicely. Tracing film is good stuff. I used tracing paper for years and still do on occasion. Either way works but the tracing film last longer for repetitive designs on belts and such.

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 12:30:20 PM »
I use regular tracing paper and insert it into those plastic page protectors - those protectors are nice and heavy yet flexible and last a looooong time - you can get them at any office supply - Office Depot, Kinkos, and Wal-mart usually carries them
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »
I use regular tracing paper and insert it into those plastic page protectors - those protectors are nice and heavy yet flexible and last a looooong time - you can get them at any office supply - Office Depot, Kinkos, and Wal-mart usually carries them
The page protectors are fine for some patterns. Patterns with a lot of detail and fine lines close together
(like my motorcycle seat) the line may blend together. Tracing film and a fine pint stylus work the best.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 02:29:50 PM »
WC is correct - I just don't do much fine line work anymore but when I do it's a one off usually and I've found for me that just tracing papaer works OK if the leather is cased properly (i.e. not too wet..)
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 08:45:31 AM »
Thanks guys for all the advice, and i will put in it to work!! I don't like my first patch of Brown, so I am going to put the hulls back in and do the cooking over twice! I don't want to put any metal in it because I don't like the grey look :o Only thing that bothers me is that I have allready put in my alcohol :o
 Maybe I should start with a new batch?

I would be great full for the help on this! I am also sorry I havn't been on the board this week, I don't know wheter I got food poisoning or heat stoke or what, i have been sick as a dog, and with the repercaustions of the sickness killed my back!!!!
If I would of had medical Ins. I would of went to the doctor and got put in the hospital! But unfortunely for you folks I lived and you all will have to put up with me :o :o ::) ::)

You guys are the greatest, and I do appreicate the help :) :)!!!!!

ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »
Howdy Ace

Sorry to hear you're having another bad day, I hope you have a better day coming up,

About the alcohol in the dye, if you want to cook it some more, go right ahead, the alcohol will burn off the first 5 minutes of cooking ,( you will have to add more alcohol when your done ), or you can freeze your dye.

Talk to you later, and take care of your self

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »
Ace - too bad we don't live closer - we could lie in the shade and BS while recuperating!  ;D

No problem to re-cook with the alcohol added - since it's more volatile than the water it will cook off faster so I have good ventilation and then add more when done...
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 04:55:15 PM »
Thanks TW & CB, i just want it darker, it looks like light coco, and I was wanting to get that rich brown that I have seen you guys been getting! If I have to I will cook it down tell it gets like honey!! I lots of walnuts!!!

Thanks again
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 09:46:01 AM »
 :) I did learn something, I need more paitence, 24 hour soak I think is going to give me the right  color!
Question, since now is the time for me, because og the avialabilty of the green walnuts, what if a person cooked a bunch down to the syrup lever and froze it or at least kept in in a refigerator, could he not dilute it as he needed it??? I realixe a person would have to figure a formula, so that it would allways be the same, but maybe long term frozen would do something to it??? I think I am going to like the color I am going to get!

Jump in here Pards and let me know toyr thoughts???
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 11:52:23 AM »
Yes - with natural dyes (not reagents like vinegaroon) such as this TIME is a big factor.

Frozen is fine - I've had some up to three years in the freezer - but then again bottling it up with alcohol does the same thing - prevents it going moldy - on the other hand I know folks who keep a big tub of going year after year, they just add more water and hulls - gets stinky they say but works...
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 01:28:36 PM »
CB,
I store my dyes in 2 litre bottles, how much alcohol do I need to put in a 2 litre bottle? Since I spend 99% of my time in bed, I have time to cook up a lot of brown! And I have a endless supply of the metal shaving I use in my vinegroon, and I hope I allways can get cider vinger, so if you can tell me about how much alcohol pr bottle, I will only have what i give for the alcohol I have been giving 89 cents a bottle.
Thanks
Ace
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com