Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 10:10:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  BROW (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: Cheap Sharps Club 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheap Sharps Club  (Read 49982 times)
Steel Horse Bailey
Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot

« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2011, 11:22:13 am »

Let's keep it fun... please.

No, $800 isn't cheap, but in these days of over-inflated prices a Peter-smellie (no bad names intended, Preacher, only fun) at that price ain't bad.  Around here, a new P-soli won't go home for much less than $1500.  OK, that's new, but I think you see what I'm saying. 

The good Preacher Clint is happy with his gun ... and price, so I'm happy for him.  You too, Rancher 13!  Once again, when I started this "club"  (which is ONLY a fun posting, by the way, not an organized club) I wanted to point out to the snobs that you didn't have to pay 2 to 5 grand for a Shiloh or any of the other REALLY expensive ... and wonderful ... rifles to have fun and shoot well!  I just got tired of the "name snobs" looking down at those of us who can barely afford what we have, because I'll bet we have JUST as much fun with our Cheap-O guns as those who can afford better.

Thanks, guys.  This started as a kind of joke and it's fun (to me, and mayhaps others) that it's still going after several years.  I  made mention of it well before the first post (here) which was in July of 2008.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"        

SEE MY PHOTOS: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/m1a1mstrgn/
NCOWS #1919 for Life, SASS Life #27463, NRA Life, Honourable Master of the Black Arts, GAF#98, SBSS, WARTHOG, STORM, American Legion Post # 495
*and a few other organizations*
F.&A.M. - Wayne Guthrie Lodge #753 *** Hiram's Rangers #105
(former) US Army M1 & M1A1 Tank Master Gunner
AKA - Jeff Bailey  A Three-Percenter & Sheepdog

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I aint comin' back. Burn the land; boil the sea: you can't take the sky from me. Have no place I must be; since I found Serenity:  you can't take the sky from me.
by Joss Whedon 2002 - Firefly
Ranch 13
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2011, 12:08:03 pm »

Steelhorse, remember I have one of those "cheap" sharps as well,  and if you'll also recall most of the stuff that I told you was wrong with that "cheap sharps" prooved out in your gun. Wink
 Yup couldn't agree more with your last post.
 ???Until you got to the "sharps snobs" part, I think if you were to hang around folks at events where Shiloh and C Sharps are the primary representive guns you'ld find most of us are working stiffs, just like you, we just made a choice to make the sacrifice and cut the necessary corners to major upgrade in our rifles.
Plus if a person truly is cash strapped, just buying the gun is only half the cost later comes sights, and moulds and on andon the expenses go to feed the things.
 Will close here by saying if a person doesn't get extravigant with the ordering process its easier to buy a Shiloh brand new from the factory than any other sharps rifle.
 250$ down, then you've got anywhere from 12-24 months to save up the rest of the 1900$ Cut out the pop, chips,candybars,cigarettes ,bottled water and other such stuff and you'ld be surprised how easy 100$ a month can go into the rifle account. Cheesy

Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.
Patrick Henry Brown
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:06 am »

???Taking this a weebit personal are you? Huh
No one here questioned your credentials.

Altho me being the some what owly type I am, do have to wonder why some one would sell a 1500$+ setup for half price, and the just a few rounds of smokeless thing always makes me think about the cheesy twit in the checkered polyester sport coat and " only driven by a little ol lady to church on sundays"
 And it gets pretty ugly when we start to talking about horse, cow and hay brokers.. Angry

I don't wonder too much. Around here all the gunshows have gone "black". Most everyone that sets up now has only black rifles and modern stuff. Little to no CAS gear available. So most Cowboy shooters avoid the shows and taking a specialty rifle like a Sharps to the Tyler, TX gunshow to sell, when you need cash is often hazardous to your pocketbook. A lot of folks that buy this type of rifle saw it on Quigley and had to have one. As times get tough, and kids need college money (stated in this case), toys like this rifle are sold. This fellow had walked by several dealers and been offered what I paid him as he was exiting the door. Had I not struck up a conversation with him, it would have gone home with him. As it was, we parted and a few minutes later he tracked me down and accepted my initial offer.
Patrick Henry Brown
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2011, 11:58:37 am »

And for the record, raining on someone's joy over their new toy often results in them taking it "a wee-bit personal".  Wink Also for the record, I've owned Shiloh Sharps previously as well. Last one I bought was an 1863 Cavalry Carbine in 52 cal, ordered and built by Wolfgang over 20 years ago -------- for --------- wait for it ------------------ $800!!!! Times have changed. I've owned several Pedersolis and IABs since. They come and they go as tastes change. Difference is that 20 years ago, I was not hung up on going into deep credit card debt. Today I avoid all forms of debt if I can. Hence my tastes have gotten more "common".  Embarrassed
Ranch 13
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »

Is the preacher part real or just a moniker?

Patrick Henry Brown
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2011, 12:11:25 pm »

Is the preacher part real or just a moniker?

Actually, it is real.
Ranch 13
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2011, 12:16:23 pm »

I see.

Cimarron
North of the Cimarron River, I.T.
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2011, 04:05:03 pm »

I wonder if I am a "name snob", I also wonder if I fit in here at the Cheap Sharps Club.  I bought my Shiloh on May 4th 1983 and looking at my invoice I noticed that I paid $511.20 for it.  I still have it, it's a No.3 sporting rifle with extra heavy barrel chambered for the .50 2 1/2".  I notice that the standard barrel rifle was $479.20.  Way back then, in 1983, I had been wanting one of these for a while (I always liked the "Missouri Boat Ride" rifle that Clint Eastwood used in "The Outlaw Josey Wales").  There wern't any around to look at, let alone buy.  I decided to get my FFL and look into ordering one.  I got the manufacturers info pack and price list and proceded to set up at a few gun shows with all of this Shiloh literature on display thinking surely someone else was interested in these guns.  Finally two other interepid individuals approched me to get an order together.  This meant I would qualify for the 3 gun discount!  That was going on 28 years ago.  It's funny how time changes things and the Quigley movie didn't hurt either.  I've still got mine and shoot it too.  I wonder what ever became of those other two guns?  Smiley

HOLY BLACK?  YOU MUST BE TALKING ABOUT PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!
Steel Horse Bailey
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2011, 06:02:36 pm »

Well, Howdy!

I won't go into the name snob thing, but if there were a Sharps Bargain Club, you'd be a charter member.

Have fun with a wonderful gun!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"        

NCOWS #1919 for Life, SASS Life #27463, NRA Life, Honourable Master of the Black Arts, GAF#98, SBSS, WARTHOG, STORM, American Legion Post # 495

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I aint comin' back. Burn the land; boil the sea: you can't take the sky from me. Have no place I must be; since I found Serenity:  you can't take the sky from me.
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2011, 10:28:39 pm »

Preacher Clint , congratulations pard, that's a heck of a deal for what you paid for it, I love my Pedersoli, they make great rifles.

Enjoy your new/used rifle

tEN wOLVES  Cheesy Grin

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Patrick Henry Brown
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2011, 08:27:54 am »

Preacher Clint , congratulations pard, that's a heck of a deal for what you paid for it, I love my Pedersoli, they make great rifles.

Enjoy your new/used rifle

tEN wOLVES  Cheesy Grin

Thanks. I will.
Texas John Ringo
NCOWS
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2011, 03:10:07 pm »

Thanks. I will.

Remember what you wrote me the other day? Same book, different chapter.

By  the way, I have a Pedersoli Quigley with the Soule sight and bubble front. And I don't give a crap what the sharps snobs think. I've had the gun since Oct. 2005 and won't be trading it for one of the others. If I want one of the snob guns, I will buy one, right now I don't.
It shoots great and looks good----to me anyway.
I've seen the others (a lot) from Montana, they're nice but I' m not that impressed
Have a good one Preacher

Flame away the rest of you.
Patrick Henry Brown
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2011, 04:06:52 pm »

Remember what you wrote me the other day? Same book, different chapter.

By  the way, I have a Pedersoli Quigley with the Soule sight and bubble front. And I don't give a crap what the sharps snobs think. I've had the gun since Oct. 2005 and won't be trading it for one of the others. If I want one of the snob guns, I will buy one, right now I don't.
It shoots great and looks good----to me anyway.
I've seen the others (a lot) from Montana, they're nice but I' m not that impressed
Have a good one Preacher

Flame away the rest of you.

Amen, Brother. Amen. LOL!!
WaddWatsonEllis
Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....

« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2011, 08:01:06 pm »

Kinda reminds me of way back when I owned a 914 ... I used to get a lot of comments about 'almost a Porsche' ... to which I always ansered "Hey, the bucks/smile ratio is awsome!'

There was nothing more that the other owners had to say after that .... *VBS*

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403
Cherokee Reb
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2011, 06:23:16 pm »

Finally got my camera issues ironed out, so here are a few pics of my "cheap Sharps". I got this Garrett Arms 45-70 Gemmer Sharps for $1100.00 . At the time it was equipped with a tang sight and front globe which just looked off for that rifle. I changed them out and sold the old sights for $200.00 which left me with a net payment of $900.00.

Shoots great with BP under 405 grain lead bullets and I am a happy camper.

http://cid-0ed02c957fb623d7.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Gemmer

Later,
Cherokee Reb

Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators
Patrick Henry Brown
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2011, 09:19:48 am »

Congratulations, Cherokee Reb, those Garrett's are NICE!!
Steel Horse Bailey
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2011, 10:21:39 am »

Well, congratulations pard!  That is a beautiful gun and you got it at a great price!  Wow!  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Marshal Deadwood
SHOOTER FOR HIRE
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2011, 04:31:22 am »

I have never thought of a Pedersoli as a 'cheap' Sharps.  I have Shiloh's, but I also have a Pedersoli 'business rifle' that is my 'go too hunting single shot.'  The workman ship is about equal. Shiloh does offer more options, but there is NOTHING short about a Pedersoli.

I just do not know a lot about the others, but I'm sure they are all fine Sharps.

MD

wildman1
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2011, 10:34:06 am »

I would like to join the CBBRC, long as you will have me. I purchased an 1884 Springfield Trapdoor 45-70, with a Buffington rear sight $300. The bore is very clean, All the mechanical parts are in excellant condition. The stock needs some serious help, as the forend has been cut off and has generally been abused.  Shoots great.  WM

* 2_smile.gif (0.18 KB, 15x15 - viewed 309 times.)

WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.
Cherokee Reb
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2011, 10:02:22 pm »

Wildman,
 Congrats on the find. I wanted to find a beater Trapdoor to Gemmer-ize when I found my Garrett. I saw several trapdoor forearms on eBay recently. have fun.

CR

Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators
wildman1
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2011, 09:51:40 am »

Wildman,
 Congrats on the find. I wanted to find a beater Trapdoor to Gemmer-ize when I found my Garrett. I saw several trapdoor forearms on eBay recently. have fun.

CR
I went onTrapdoors.com and got a forearm and frontband etc., now I get the fun of putting it on so hopfully it won't be to noticeable.  WM

WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.
M14MSgt
Active citizen

« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2011, 01:29:20 pm »

What's the concensus on a 45-70 with Old Reliable on the barrel and IAB MARCHENO - MADE IN ITALY?
Jayhawker
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2011, 02:45:10 pm »

New guy here...retired last year after 40 years of service...6 with the Army and 34 with DoD and decided to move back to my Kansas roots...I was prowling around the gun shop and this one kinda called to me...cheap? Yep, but now that I'm retired I can"t be spending like a drunken sailor anymore.  It goes "BOOM" and puts bullets where I point them////

As an aside, I work part time on a refuge...this is one of my charges

Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...
Blackpowder Burn
Top Active Citizen

Smoke & Lightning

« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2011, 10:33:42 pm »

Goes "BOOM".....makes smoke.......puts bullets where you want them.  A man can't ask for any more than that.   Grin

Welcome to CasCity.  Lots of interesting and opinions and discussions here.  And the information is worth every penny you pay for it!  Roll Eyes

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes
WaddWatsonEllis
Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....

« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2011, 12:26:10 am »

Sorry,

I think buffs are lovely too ... but all I could think of is that buff would keep me in meat for six months .... sigh ... been watching too many Westerns ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  BROW (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: Cheap Sharps Club « previous next »
Jump to: