Author Topic: Cheap Sharps Club  (Read 151927 times)

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cheap Sharps Club
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2010, 09:37:15 PM »
No this is a round disc  about the dianeter of a dime.

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2010, 10:51:47 AM »
I was looking at a Numrich parts schematic and they list the piece as  a Bolt assembly disconnect,rear.
 The VTI parts show it the same way except abbreviated.
 Now I now what it is ,how does it work and should it be so loose that it falls out when yu drop the carrier.
 I also got my brass in yesterday. It only took three days from order to delivery, Graf & sons.  It is Jamison brass correctly  stamped 45-110.
 As soon as my bullets arrive I'll be in business.

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2011, 09:39:49 AM »
Back in the CHeap Sharps Club with a Pedersoli Sporting Rifle in 45-70 that I picked up at the Tyler, TX Gunshow this past Saturday. 32" barrel with top of the line Pedersoli Tang and Spirit-level globe front sights -- and the Hadley eyecup. Never fired with BP (that is soon to change) and appears to have been well-cared for and fired very little. $800 was the price tag and had several folks wanting to buy it as I walked the floor looking to sell a Garand I had. Pleased. I'd post pictures, but I'm at work now.

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 02:24:29 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
Preacher;  You must have a lot of horsehoes on the wall, all open end up to hold the luck.  Or is it open end down to pour the luck into your hand?  ANYHOO, that sounds like an excellent buy.  Good shootin'.

Here in good ol' Victoria BC, Canada even.  My gunshop has a Chiappa sharps, new, under a thou', so maybe there will be more CSC members soon.  Anyone have any experience with the Chiappa? (Not for myself, I'll stick with my Pedersoli.)

P.S;  SO!  The Chiappa is an Armi Sport.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2011, 12:33:58 AM »
Good bargain, Preacher Clint!  Welcome!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »
 ??? I'm not particularly sure 800$ for a used gun of unknown pedigree is exactly cheap tho :o :D
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »
??? I'm not particularly sure 800$ for a used gun of unknown pedigree is exactly cheap tho :o :D

How do you figure that? It is a Pedersoli. Retail now on that model without the sights is well over $1150 at bargain shops, and Cherry's lists them closer to $1400. The bore is super and shows little wear. The sights are in the $500 range, so $800 is a good deal IMHO. Most Sharps repros I see in the $800 range are IAB's these days, and I've owned a few of those as well. Not bad rifles either. I don't shoot 1000 yd. BPCR anyway, so the Pedersoli suits me just fine. Tell you what though -- if you come across a Shiloh for $800 used of unknown pedigree, pm me where to send the gold dust! I'll risk it!LOL!

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2011, 09:04:48 AM »
Just saying that 800$ for a USED gun is not exactly my idea of cheap.

What do you suppose the smokeless loads fired in that rifle were. 38 grs of 3031 or 38 grs of bullseye?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
Just saying that 800$ for a USED gun is not exactly my idea of cheap.

What do you suppose the smokeless loads fired in that rifle were. 38 grs of 3031 or 38 grs of bullseye?

You can say the same thing for any used gun. Period! You're giving a whole new meaning to "cheap". BTW, the guy I bought it from was the original owner and professed to having only shot a few boxes of factory 45-70 loads through it. Is he telling the truth? Who knows? I'll take my chances on a slightly used Pedersoli at $800 over spending $2K for a new rifle anyday. IMHO, 99% of the folks here would agree. I've been buying, selling and shooting used guns for over 40 years. Never had a problem. Routinely buy, sell and shoot C&R weapons all the time. I've shot standing next to folks firing authentic Civil War muskets and carbines in N-SSA Competition. And I have a friend who routinely shoots an original Colt 1860 in NCOWS, though he does substitute a replica cylinder.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2011, 09:51:01 AM »
 ???Taking this a weebit personal are you? ???
No one here questioned your credentials.

Altho me being the some what owly type I am, do have to wonder why some one would sell a 1500$+ setup for half price, and the just a few rounds of smokeless thing always makes me think about the cheesy twit in the checkered polyester sport coat and " only driven by a little ol lady to church on sundays"
 And it gets pretty ugly when we start to talking about horse, cow and hay brokers.. >:(

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2011, 10:22:13 AM »
Let's keep it fun... please.

No, $800 isn't cheap, but in these days of over-inflated prices a Peter-smellie (no bad names intended, Preacher, only fun) at that price ain't bad.  Around here, a new P-soli won't go home for much less than $1500.  OK, that's new, but I think you see what I'm saying. 

The good Preacher Clint is happy with his gun ... and price, so I'm happy for him.  You too, Rancher 13!  Once again, when I started this "club"  (which is ONLY a fun posting, by the way, not an organized club) I wanted to point out to the snobs that you didn't have to pay 2 to 5 grand for a Shiloh or any of the other REALLY expensive ... and wonderful ... rifles to have fun and shoot well!  I just got tired of the "name snobs" looking down at those of us who can barely afford what we have, because I'll bet we have JUST as much fun with our Cheap-O guns as those who can afford better.

Thanks, guys.  This started as a kind of joke and it's fun (to me, and mayhaps others) that it's still going after several years.  I  made mention of it well before the first post (here) which was in July of 2008.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2011, 11:08:03 AM »
Steelhorse, remember I have one of those "cheap" sharps as well,  and if you'll also recall most of the stuff that I told you was wrong with that "cheap sharps" prooved out in your gun. ;)
 Yup couldn't agree more with your last post.
 ???Until you got to the "sharps snobs" part, I think if you were to hang around folks at events where Shiloh and C Sharps are the primary representive guns you'ld find most of us are working stiffs, just like you, we just made a choice to make the sacrifice and cut the necessary corners to major upgrade in our rifles.
Plus if a person truly is cash strapped, just buying the gun is only half the cost later comes sights, and moulds and on andon the expenses go to feed the things.
 Will close here by saying if a person doesn't get extravigant with the ordering process its easier to buy a Shiloh brand new from the factory than any other sharps rifle.
 250$ down, then you've got anywhere from 12-24 months to save up the rest of the 1900$ Cut out the pop, chips,candybars,cigarettes ,bottled water and other such stuff and you'ld be surprised how easy 100$ a month can go into the rifle account. :D

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »
???Taking this a weebit personal are you? ???
No one here questioned your credentials.

Altho me being the some what owly type I am, do have to wonder why some one would sell a 1500$+ setup for half price, and the just a few rounds of smokeless thing always makes me think about the cheesy twit in the checkered polyester sport coat and " only driven by a little ol lady to church on sundays"
 And it gets pretty ugly when we start to talking about horse, cow and hay brokers.. >:(

I don't wonder too much. Around here all the gunshows have gone "black". Most everyone that sets up now has only black rifles and modern stuff. Little to no CAS gear available. So most Cowboy shooters avoid the shows and taking a specialty rifle like a Sharps to the Tyler, TX gunshow to sell, when you need cash is often hazardous to your pocketbook. A lot of folks that buy this type of rifle saw it on Quigley and had to have one. As times get tough, and kids need college money (stated in this case), toys like this rifle are sold. This fellow had walked by several dealers and been offered what I paid him as he was exiting the door. Had I not struck up a conversation with him, it would have gone home with him. As it was, we parted and a few minutes later he tracked me down and accepted my initial offer.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »
And for the record, raining on someone's joy over their new toy often results in them taking it "a wee-bit personal".  ;) Also for the record, I've owned Shiloh Sharps previously as well. Last one I bought was an 1863 Cavalry Carbine in 52 cal, ordered and built by Wolfgang over 20 years ago -------- for --------- wait for it ------------------ $800!!!! Times have changed. I've owned several Pedersolis and IABs since. They come and they go as tastes change. Difference is that 20 years ago, I was not hung up on going into deep credit card debt. Today I avoid all forms of debt if I can. Hence my tastes have gotten more "common".  :-[

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2011, 11:09:32 AM »
Is the preacher part real or just a moniker?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »
Is the preacher part real or just a moniker?

Actually, it is real.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2011, 11:16:23 AM »
I see.

Offline Cimarron

• North of the Cimarron River, I.T.
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2011, 03:05:03 PM »
I wonder if I am a "name snob", I also wonder if I fit in here at the Cheap Sharps Club.  I bought my Shiloh on May 4th 1983 and looking at my invoice I noticed that I paid $511.20 for it.  I still have it, it's a No.3 sporting rifle with extra heavy barrel chambered for the .50 2 1/2".  I notice that the standard barrel rifle was $479.20.  Way back then, in 1983, I had been wanting one of these for a while (I always liked the "Missouri Boat Ride" rifle that Clint Eastwood used in "The Outlaw Josey Wales").  There wern't any around to look at, let alone buy.  I decided to get my FFL and look into ordering one.  I got the manufacturers info pack and price list and proceded to set up at a few gun shows with all of this Shiloh literature on display thinking surely someone else was interested in these guns.  Finally two other interepid individuals approched me to get an order together.  This meant I would qualify for the 3 gun discount!  That was going on 28 years ago.  It's funny how time changes things and the Quigley movie didn't hurt either.  I've still got mine and shoot it too.  I wonder what ever became of those other two guns?  :)
HOLY BLACK?  YOU MUST BE TALKING ABOUT PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2011, 05:02:36 PM »
Well, Howdy!

I won't go into the name snob thing, but if there were a Sharps Bargain Club, you'd be a charter member.

Have fun with a wonderful gun!

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2011, 09:28:39 PM »

Preacher Clint , congratulations pard, that's a heck of a deal for what you paid for it, I love my Pedersoli, they make great rifles.

Enjoy your new/used rifle

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com