Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 02:01:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  BROW (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: Cheap Sharps Club 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheap Sharps Club  (Read 51619 times)
Steel Horse Bailey
Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot

« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2010, 09:05:03 am »

If Kevin Costner can drop a Buff with a Henry...aw, never mind, **************** (message continued) thinking how he'll use one round per buff and is calculating how much money he's going to make from his hunt...he gets educated real fast about how tough buff are.

I'll bet!  With a Henry!   Grin

Just as a matter of interest, I read in a shooting magazine sometime years back - the article was dealing with using the proper round for whatever is being hunted, the author stated that at one time or another, every animal on earth has been killed by a 22LR, but that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't deliberately  set out to kill/hunt with an underpowered round.

Now, don't take ME to task, fellers ... I'm  just reporting what has been said, I don't recommend it!  We've all known about guys who have killed deer, for instance, with a 22.  Personally, I've eaten venison taken with a 22 by an old Army buddy ... it CAN be done, but it isn't good practice!
 Wink

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"        

SEE MY PHOTOS: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/m1a1mstrgn/
NCOWS #1919 for Life, SASS Life #27463, NRA Life, Honourable Master of the Black Arts, GAF#98, SBSS, WARTHOG, STORM, American Legion Post # 495
*and a few other organizations*
F.&A.M. - Wayne Guthrie Lodge #753 *** Hiram's Rangers #105
(former) US Army M1 & M1A1 Tank Master Gunner
AKA - Jeff Bailey  A Three-Percenter & Sheepdog

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I aint comin' back. Burn the land; boil the sea: you can't take the sky from me. Have no place I must be; since I found Serenity:  you can't take the sky from me.
by Joss Whedon 2002 - Firefly
WaddWatsonEllis
Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....

« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2010, 09:22:39 am »

Amd Davy Crockett supposedly hunted Grizzly with a Bowie Knife .... (if the Bowie actually was 'invented' at that time) ...

But as Steel Horse has remarked, it isn't particullarly good practice unless one has a death wish ...*G*

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403
Steel Horse Bailey
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2010, 09:32:50 am »

Wink

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"        

NCOWS #1919 for Life, SASS Life #27463, NRA Life, Honourable Master of the Black Arts, GAF#98, SBSS, WARTHOG, STORM, American Legion Post # 495

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I aint comin' back. Burn the land; boil the sea: you can't take the sky from me. Have no place I must be; since I found Serenity:  you can't take the sky from me.
Ranch 13
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2010, 09:53:29 am »

Well you need to get things in prospective. During the time frame of the Henry it was considered a fine rifle for most anything out to 200 yds or further.
 :'(Today you'll have devil of a time finding folks that could even have enough riflecraft in them to be able to fire a Henry at something 200 yds out.

Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.
Steel Horse Bailey
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2010, 12:12:26 pm »

You're sure right there, Ranch 13.

Even the Military doesn't teach true marksmanship.  Most of them (and in many Police forces, too) it seems they believe more in the "spray 'n pray" school of riflecraft.

'Tis a pity, but 'tis true.  When I taught small arms marksmanship, I had the support of my Commanding Officer and I tried to teach my guys real skills with the rifles and pistols we were issued, as well as the tank weapons, both large and small.  It paid off, I guess.  I've heard from numerous ex soldiers of mine who said they learned a lot from my teaching, but nearly nothing from the Army itself.  I always thought that was pretty important considering the business I/we were in!  And if a Henry ... or a 22 were all I had, I'd sure try to make the best of it that I possibly could.  A 44 Henry certainly can kill a buff ...( if the shooter is brave enough,  Wink ) and can put his shots right where they need to be, rather than just shooting AT  the buff!

Grin

Ranch 13
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:14 pm »

WEll said Sarge. Grin

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2010, 03:32:31 pm »

For many years the 22 Hornet is said to be one of the most popular rounds used in Alaska.  Was used to kill all the game found up there and a box of 50 takes up about as much space as a box of 20 30-06 and cost about the same.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Ranch 13
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2010, 03:40:57 pm »

Del I knew a ranchwoman that spent her best years herdin kids and raisin sheep and herefords, and she thought anybody using a bigger rifle than her 2520 on anything was just showing off and wasting meat. (and she never had an elk tag that wasn't filled)

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2010, 05:45:57 pm »

Del I knew a ranchwoman that spent her best years herdin kids and raisin sheep and herefords, and she thought anybody using a bigger rifle than her 2520 on anything was just showing off and wasting meat. (and she never had an elk tag that wasn't filled)

Unless things have changed since I last checked, the world record whitetail was killed with a 25-20.   

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Ranch 13
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2010, 06:09:43 pm »

Yup I believe that's the last I heard as well.

Cherokee Reb
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2010, 12:55:47 am »

Bought an IAB percussion Sharps a last month for $525 shipped and the seller included a box of bullets, nitrated paper, flask, capper and bullet mold.

Yesterday I sent off payment for a Palmetto Armoury 45-70 Gemmer-Sharps with vernier tang sight for $1100 shipped. Can I join the club??

Reb

Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators
Steel Horse Bailey
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2010, 04:17:38 am »

Bought an IAB percussion Sharps a last month for $525 shipped and the seller included a box of bullets, nitrated paper, flask, capper and bullet mold.

Yesterday I sent off payment for a Palmetto Armoury 45-70 Gemmer-Sharps with vernier tang sight for $1100 shipped. Can I join the club??

Reb

You sure can, Cherokee Reb!  Welcome!

You got a real good bargain ... now, go out and have some fun with it!  CHEAP FUN!!
 Grin

Don Nix
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2010, 08:15:23 am »

I posted this in a separate thread but it iOkay ,here I go showing my ignorance,
 This afternoon I was fooling with the new Sharps when I decided to drop the carrier and check everything in preparation of slugging the bore.
 The carrier dropped down fine but as I pulled it free something fell of onto the floor.I looked down and there was a small metal disc.
 There was a recess on the rear of the carrier that I assume it fits into. From what i can gather it is called the rear bolt assembly disc.
Can some one tell what part it plays and is it supposed to be so loose that it just falls out. Looks to me like it would be real easy to lose in the field.t would be better answered here I think.
john boy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2010, 06:57:28 pm »

Don, look at this diagram ... http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=61&cat=Pedersoli+Sharps+1874+Sporting+Rife
Is the part rectangular, not disc?  If so, it is the firing pin block (part 104) and goes back in the rectangular slot on the back of the breech block

Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR
Marshal Deadwood
SHOOTER FOR HIRE
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2010, 09:36:51 pm »

FOr what it's worth.......my Dad killed more than a few nice bucks,,,the biggest one he killed with a 25-20.........first shot the deer was standing,,the other two the buck was running. All three shots could be covered with the bottom end of a coffee cup. All three shots went in the heart areas.

My nephew still has that scrape of hide ,,all dried to heck,,but you can see the tight group.

MD

Don Nix
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2010, 09:37:15 pm »

No this is a round disc  about the dianeter of a dime.
Don Nix
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2010, 11:51:47 am »

I was looking at a Numrich parts schematic and they list the piece as  a Bolt assembly disconnect,rear.
 The VTI parts show it the same way except abbreviated.
 Now I now what it is ,how does it work and should it be so loose that it falls out when yu drop the carrier.
 I also got my brass in yesterday. It only took three days from order to delivery, Graf & sons.  It is Jamison brass correctly  stamped 45-110.
 As soon as my bullets arrive I'll be in business.
Patrick Henry Brown
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2011, 10:39:49 am »

Back in the CHeap Sharps Club with a Pedersoli Sporting Rifle in 45-70 that I picked up at the Tyler, TX Gunshow this past Saturday. 32" barrel with top of the line Pedersoli Tang and Spirit-level globe front sights -- and the Hadley eyecup. Never fired with BP (that is soon to change) and appears to have been well-cared for and fired very little. $800 was the price tag and had several folks wanting to buy it as I walked the floor looking to sell a Garand I had. Pleased. I'd post pictures, but I'm at work now.
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2011, 04:59:47 pm »

Preacher;  You must have a lot of horsehoes on the wall, all open end up to hold the luck.  Or is it open end down to pour the luck into your hand?  ANYHOO, that sounds like an excellent buy.  Good shootin'.

Here in good ol' Victoria BC, Canada even.  My gunshop has a Chiappa sharps, new, under a thou', so maybe there will be more CSC members soon.  Anyone have any experience with the Chiappa? (Not for myself, I'll stick with my Pedersoli.)

P.S;  SO!  The Chiappa is an Armi Sport.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Steel Horse Bailey
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2011, 01:33:58 am »

Good bargain, Preacher Clint!  Welcome!

Ranch 13
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2011, 09:34:04 am »

Huh I'm not particularly sure 800$ for a used gun of unknown pedigree is exactly cheap tho Shocked Cheesy

Patrick Henry Brown
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2011, 09:53:41 am »

Huh I'm not particularly sure 800$ for a used gun of unknown pedigree is exactly cheap tho Shocked Cheesy

How do you figure that? It is a Pedersoli. Retail now on that model without the sights is well over $1150 at bargain shops, and Cherry's lists them closer to $1400. The bore is super and shows little wear. The sights are in the $500 range, so $800 is a good deal IMHO. Most Sharps repros I see in the $800 range are IAB's these days, and I've owned a few of those as well. Not bad rifles either. I don't shoot 1000 yd. BPCR anyway, so the Pedersoli suits me just fine. Tell you what though -- if you come across a Shiloh for $800 used of unknown pedigree, pm me where to send the gold dust! I'll risk it!LOL!
Ranch 13
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2011, 10:04:48 am »

Just saying that 800$ for a USED gun is not exactly my idea of cheap.

What do you suppose the smokeless loads fired in that rifle were. 38 grs of 3031 or 38 grs of bullseye?

Patrick Henry Brown
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2011, 10:40:47 am »

Just saying that 800$ for a USED gun is not exactly my idea of cheap.

What do you suppose the smokeless loads fired in that rifle were. 38 grs of 3031 or 38 grs of bullseye?

You can say the same thing for any used gun. Period! You're giving a whole new meaning to "cheap". BTW, the guy I bought it from was the original owner and professed to having only shot a few boxes of factory 45-70 loads through it. Is he telling the truth? Who knows? I'll take my chances on a slightly used Pedersoli at $800 over spending $2K for a new rifle anyday. IMHO, 99% of the folks here would agree. I've been buying, selling and shooting used guns for over 40 years. Never had a problem. Routinely buy, sell and shoot C&R weapons all the time. I've shot standing next to folks firing authentic Civil War muskets and carbines in N-SSA Competition. And I have a friend who routinely shoots an original Colt 1860 in NCOWS, though he does substitute a replica cylinder.
Ranch 13
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2011, 10:51:01 am »

???Taking this a weebit personal are you? Huh
No one here questioned your credentials.

Altho me being the some what owly type I am, do have to wonder why some one would sell a 1500$+ setup for half price, and the just a few rounds of smokeless thing always makes me think about the cheesy twit in the checkered polyester sport coat and " only driven by a little ol lady to church on sundays"
 And it gets pretty ugly when we start to talking about horse, cow and hay brokers.. Angry

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  BROW (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: Cheap Sharps Club « previous next »
Jump to: