Author Topic: Cheap Sharps Club  (Read 151918 times)

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cheap Sharps Club
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »
Hmmph,

Shows how much I know ....

I always thought  that 'cheap Sharps' was an oxymoron, like 'military intelligence' or some such ....
Just in case you ain't been keepin' track, there ain't no such thing as a "cheap" Sharps anymore . . .
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »
Otter,  money-wise, you're probably right.  However, when this was founded (by me) the whole purpose was to show that just because a Sharps replica didn't cost as much as a C.Sharps or a Shiloh, those of us more budget minded could still have fun with the "cheaper" versions that were on the market at the time; the ones that the "experts" sneered at and proclaimed (sometimes pretty loudly) weren't worth the powder it would take to blow them up.  Time has proven me right.  NO ... my Taylor's Armi Sport version (at least in MY hands) won't win any Quigley matches, but I've had every penny's worth of fun that is possible with it!  And that is priceless!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2010, 11:06:50 PM »
Steeley,

Hope you didn't think I was in any manner deriding any Sharps. Even at six or seven hundred dollars, they aren't "cheap" any more, moneywise. When I first started shooting BPCR rifles, a Shiloh could be had in the $700 range, Pedersolis were few and far between and were in the $400-$500 range. One of my good friends shot a Pedersoli and could ring the 600 yard steel probably 99% of the time. By the time I got my Sharps (yes, it is a Shiloh), they were substantially more than $700. I had tried for over a year to find a Pedersoli to no avail. While I waited for my Shiloh, I built a Roller from an old rebuilt action. They are all fun to shoot. If I can find a "cheap" Sharps at the right price, and me in the right mood, I will have another in the herd.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 12:49:54 AM »

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »
Otter, no problem.  I wasn't even in the ballpark when you were getting Shilohs for $700.   WoW!

When I got my A.S. for $700, it was $300-$450 less than the Pedersolis, and a thousand (and then some) under a C.Sharps or Shiloh - but I've gotten Thou$and$ of Dollar$ in fun from it.

Fun is around even at bargain prices!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2010, 12:28:23 AM »
If Kevin Costner can drop a Buff with a Henry...aw, never mind, I couldn't come up with anything funnier than that scene in the movie... That does remind me though. There a book called "Long Ride Home" by Michael Gear has a part in it about an old feller decides to be a buff hunter so buys a Henry and a couple of boxes of rounds thinking how he'll use one round per buff and is calculating how much money he's going to make from his hunt...he gets educated real fast about how tough buff are.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2010, 09:05:03 AM »
If Kevin Costner can drop a Buff with a Henry...aw, never mind, **************** (message continued) thinking how he'll use one round per buff and is calculating how much money he's going to make from his hunt...he gets educated real fast about how tough buff are.

I'll bet!  With a Henry!   ;D

Just as a matter of interest, I read in a shooting magazine sometime years back - the article was dealing with using the proper round for whatever is being hunted, the author stated that at one time or another, every animal on earth has been killed by a 22LR, but that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't deliberately  set out to kill/hunt with an underpowered round.

Now, don't take ME to task, fellers ... I'm  just reporting what has been said, I don't recommend it!  We've all known about guys who have killed deer, for instance, with a 22.  Personally, I've eaten venison taken with a 22 by an old Army buddy ... it CAN be done, but it isn't good practice!
 ;)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2010, 09:22:39 AM »
Amd Davy Crockett supposedly hunted Grizzly with a Bowie Knife .... (if the Bowie actually was 'invented' at that time) ...

But as Steel Horse has remarked, it isn't particullarly good practice unless one has a death wish ...*G*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »
 ;)

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »
 Well you need to get things in prospective. During the time frame of the Henry it was considered a fine rifle for most anything out to 200 yds or further.
 :'(Today you'll have devil of a time finding folks that could even have enough riflecraft in them to be able to fire a Henry at something 200 yds out.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2010, 12:12:26 PM »
You're sure right there, Ranch 13.

Even the Military doesn't teach true marksmanship.  Most of them (and in many Police forces, too) it seems they believe more in the "spray 'n pray" school of riflecraft.

'Tis a pity, but 'tis true.  When I taught small arms marksmanship, I had the support of my Commanding Officer and I tried to teach my guys real skills with the rifles and pistols we were issued, as well as the tank weapons, both large and small.  It paid off, I guess.  I've heard from numerous ex soldiers of mine who said they learned a lot from my teaching, but nearly nothing from the Army itself.  I always thought that was pretty important considering the business I/we were in!  And if a Henry ... or a 22 were all I had, I'd sure try to make the best of it that I possibly could.  A 44 Henry certainly can kill a buff ...( if the shooter is brave enough,  ;) ) and can put his shots right where they need to be, rather than just shooting AT  the buff!

;D

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »
 WEll said Sarge. ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
For many years the 22 Hornet is said to be one of the most popular rounds used in Alaska.  Was used to kill all the game found up there and a box of 50 takes up about as much space as a box of 20 30-06 and cost about the same.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2010, 03:40:57 PM »
Del I knew a ranchwoman that spent her best years herdin kids and raisin sheep and herefords, and she thought anybody using a bigger rifle than her 2520 on anything was just showing off and wasting meat. (and she never had an elk tag that wasn't filled)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »
Del I knew a ranchwoman that spent her best years herdin kids and raisin sheep and herefords, and she thought anybody using a bigger rifle than her 2520 on anything was just showing off and wasting meat. (and she never had an elk tag that wasn't filled)

Unless things have changed since I last checked, the world record whitetail was killed with a 25-20.   
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »
Yup I believe that's the last I heard as well.

Offline Cherokee Reb

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2010, 12:55:47 AM »
Bought an IAB percussion Sharps a last month for $525 shipped and the seller included a box of bullets, nitrated paper, flask, capper and bullet mold.

Yesterday I sent off payment for a Palmetto Armoury 45-70 Gemmer-Sharps with vernier tang sight for $1100 shipped. Can I join the club??

Reb
Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2010, 04:17:38 AM »
Bought an IAB percussion Sharps a last month for $525 shipped and the seller included a box of bullets, nitrated paper, flask, capper and bullet mold.

Yesterday I sent off payment for a Palmetto Armoury 45-70 Gemmer-Sharps with vernier tang sight for $1100 shipped. Can I join the club??

Reb

You sure can, Cherokee Reb!  Welcome!

You got a real good bargain ... now, go out and have some fun with it!  CHEAP FUN!!
 ;D

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2010, 08:15:23 AM »
I posted this in a separate thread but it iOkay ,here I go showing my ignorance,
 This afternoon I was fooling with the new Sharps when I decided to drop the carrier and check everything in preparation of slugging the bore.
 The carrier dropped down fine but as I pulled it free something fell of onto the floor.I looked down and there was a small metal disc.
 There was a recess on the rear of the carrier that I assume it fits into. From what i can gather it is called the rear bolt assembly disc.
Can some one tell what part it plays and is it supposed to be so loose that it just falls out. Looks to me like it would be real easy to lose in the field.t would be better answered here I think.

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2010, 06:57:28 PM »
Don, look at this diagram ... http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=61&cat=Pedersoli+Sharps+1874+Sporting+Rife
Is the part rectangular, not disc?  If so, it is the firing pin block (part 104) and goes back in the rectangular slot on the back of the breech block
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2010, 09:36:51 PM »
FOr what it's worth.......my Dad killed more than a few nice bucks,,,the biggest one he killed with a 25-20.........first shot the deer was standing,,the other two the buck was running. All three shots could be covered with the bottom end of a coffee cup. All three shots went in the heart areas.

My nephew still has that scrape of hide ,,all dried to heck,,but you can see the tight group.

MD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com