Author Topic: Cheap Sharps Club  (Read 152149 times)

1816flintlock

Cheap Sharps Club
« on: July 12, 2008, 06:29:41 PM »
I've been over on the Spencer Shooting Society for a while now, but today I joined the cheap Sharps Rifle club.  I found an IAB Arms Sharps carbine at a gunshow today for $475.  It was being sold as a used gun, but considering that the face of the hammer is not even scuffed up, I doubt it has been shot at all.  The proof marks indicate that it was made in 1999.  Fit and finish while not equal to that of my Pedersoil paper cartridge Sharps or much less a Shiloh are decent.  I'm not out impress anyone.  I'll be glad to scratch the cartridge Sharps bug without spending myself into a hole.  I also bought brass and dies, have  a 45-70 mould around here somewhere.  Now to load up some ammo and give it a test in the next few days.       

Stephen

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Cheap Sharps Club
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 12:22:07 PM »
Wecome, we need a good name, got one?

BTW if tou decide you got took and need to get rid of it, just give it to me and I'll use it to hunt deer since I'm one of the folks who live in a state where they don't require you to use a danged bird gun to hunt deer. :)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 08:45:56 AM »
Hey welcome to the club, have a great time with your new toy.
BSJ

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:18:07 PM »

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 06:01:22 AM »
 :)1816,  :o You stolded that gun!! I am happy for you :) I just bought just like your's, I traded because no cash and I gave allmost double! I hope they shoot good! If I was Rich, i would have a Shilo. But you have to do want you have to do!! I am researching Tang sites, that co. sells there own version of creedmore! I would like Soule But :( :( Disability oesn't pay much!!
Let me know how it shoots!! Mine is diff thamn yours mine has oct barrel set triggers and a few more bells, I still want to know how it shoots.
Thanks
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:34:08 AM »
Wecome, we need a good name, got one?

BTW if tou decide you got took and need to get rid of it, just give it to me and I'll use it to hunt deer since I'm one of the folks who live in a state where they don't require you to use a danged bird gun to hunt deer. :)

Whaddya mean, Glen?

I formed the (virtual) "Cheapo Big-Bore Rifle Club" a year or 2 ago!  CBBRC I guess. 

If ya have a Shiloh or a C.Sharps (or any other MORE expensive fine rifle) you don't belong - unless you bought that Shiloh or C.Sharps (or whatever) for $50 at the local Pawn shop!  ;D  In which case I bow to YOU!  ;)

Worst thing is, it now costs more in gas for me to shoot my CBBRC Armi Sport Sharps than it does to buy the powder to feed it!  :P
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 05:02:55 PM »
You got that right SH! :o I don't know how a average person can go anywhere, just nwhen you think you can breath again, gas goes sky high which makes every thing you need go up because it cost so much to get it to the store!!
  Something has to give soon!! If you and the misses wants to go out to ea it cost you $20.00 to get there and back, then $40.00 for the meal, can't go see a movie, because if you got the money to get tickets you don't have $30.00 for 2 big drinks a big bucket of popcorn and a box of Milk diuds.
 The good old days are gone!!! Having a child is the greatest thing in the world, but what about your grand kids, what do they have to look forward to!!
 And here we are with our Buffalo Guns and NO Buffalo to shoot and eat!!
 I cannot see how a $5000.00 rifle could shoot $4000.00 better bthan mine! Back 15 years ago when i was big into bird hunting, i had a friend that shot a old piece of junk shotgun, he finaly bought a new Browning shotgun, but he never took it hunting?????
Never could ever figure that out, it was just a BPS.
I better go!
Later ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 07:06:59 PM »
Sorry Jeff, I forgot.

Gas will cost you some, but the bar and grill down the street from me has a 14 oz Sirloin dinner for $5.99 or the 26 oz one for $9.99, includes a veggie, tater, salad and dinner roll.  Ate there many times, just good plain ol' food. ;D 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 07:36:04 PM »
I'll have the 26 oz one, please - medium rare.

See ya in October.  I hope.

I guess the CBBRC that I started in jest is now a reality!  There's AT LEAST 10 fellers who want to be a part of it!

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »
1816: If your IAB shoots straight for you, there's not a thing wrong with it. Might lay in a spare firing pin, but you need to do that with almost any Sharps. Know who once told me he keeps an IAB around for a knockabout hunting Sharps? None other than Dave Gullo, owner of Buffalo Arms.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 11:54:05 AM »
Howdy!

Flintlock, ol' buddy - you got the Deal of the Day!

Less than $500 for ANY rifle these days (OK ... not counting 22s  ;) ) is great!

Enjoy, and here's a  BIG  Welcome  to the Brotherhood of the CBBRC!

Keep yer powder dry!

Jeff  "Steel Horse Bailey"
Founder - Cheapo Big-Bore Rifle Club  ::)  Does this mean I'm the #1 Cheapo Big Bore?
 :o  ;D

:D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »
 :)Hody Pards!
Lets say you had your machine shop, and in your spare time you build a Single Shot 45-70, or what ever Rifle, and you ended up with $50.00 in it, Even if it looked like a club, if it was safe and shot well who cares what anyone else cares! When I was a teemager most of the kids I grew up with, there folks had money and when we all started High School, there parents bought them all nice classic Hot Rod cars, I didn't come from money and had to by my own car, but my Old big dodge would blow there doors off!! Because of my dad's back ground, being a mechanic, I learn how to Hop up that Old 383 for a small amount of money!
 When I got serious about Big Game Hunting, all the guys I hunted with all had, Browning, Wheatherby, Sako, ect.!  bought a Ruger #1, at that time they were $325.00 brand new, and i got lucky and bought one with AA fancy wood, and I put a Cheap 6x18x40 Tasco scope, then when I got the money I moved to a Redfield scope, and as time went on, I bought  2 more #1, those number 1 Ruger would shoot lot better groups than those high dollar guns! KNow you look at the Ruger #1's know, they are considered Top notch rifles! No matter what you buy, if it is made out of good steel, and put toghter properly, the name means nothing!  hope that I have not over stepped my option on anyone, that was and is not what I wanted!

Just my 2 cents! I am a member of this club because my Sharps is a 1874 45-70 IAB,Imported by TriStar!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 01:11:24 PM »

::) :o ;D 8) Ace Buddy, that is a Dang Nice, and Beautiful 1874 IAB Sharps Rifle, and you should be Proud to own it , it will probably shoot as well as it looks. ;D ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 05:08:22 PM »
Ace, ol' buddy, you're in with the rest of us who refuse to worship a name-brand.  I have NO illusions about the quality of my rifle to anyone's costing $2-$3000 MORE than mine.  I'm a man of simple needs: all I need is a rifle that will shoot better than me.  ::)  ;)

That used to mean more than it does these days, but ...
 ;D

Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey"
Founder of the CBBRC
"I'm not just a member, I founded this club!"
 :D

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:49:13 AM »

Whaddya mean, Glen?

I formed the (virtual) "Cheapo Big-Bore Rifle Club" a year or 2 ago!  CBBRC I guess. 

If ya have a Shiloh or a C.Sharps (or any other MORE expensive fine rifle) you don't belong - unless you bought that Shiloh or C.Sharps (or whatever) for $50 at the local Pawn shop!  ;D  In which case I bow to YOU!  ;)

Worst thing is, it now costs more in gas for me to shoot my CBBRC Armi Sport Sharps than it does to buy the powder to feed it!  :P

Ah'm not shore I'd be welcome in yer CBBRC club; but if'n y'u don't mind my askin, what are th rules?  an th price limit on BPCRs. Mine's a Pedersoli .45/70 frum Dixie Gun Werks, the MSRP waz $1,050.00 when ordered it. but I paid $1,000.00 fer it.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
OK, Buckos, the guantlet has jist been thrown down!
The CVR NCOWS Posse is having it's annual Fall Buffalo Shoot September 26-28, 2008, and I, 'Ol Gabe, as a Pedersoli owner, challenge any of you "C.S.C." owners to an off-line Shoot-off!
I'll put up a $50 CASH challenge bet that you can't beat my score on the two-day event! If you can, you get the $50 in CASH!
Please go to the CVR website for details at: www.cedarvalleyregulators.org
Click on the '2008 Events' and then scroll down to the Fall Buffalo Shoot for details.
This will give all you "C.S.C." owners a chance to prove your 'cheap' rifle can beat mine!
OK, no offense meant or implied, I'm jist giving you all a chance to come out to Iowa and prove your IAB or whatever, can out shoot my Pedersoli, and if it can you, get a $50 CASH prize and bragging rights for a year! If not, well, I'll jist let it slip quietly into the bandwidth.
To qualify for this, you must post your intent and then introduce yourself to me at the beginning of the actual event during the 'Safety Meeting' to set up our challenge as it is NOT part of the regular event. If nobody shows, the money goes into NEXT YEARS CHALLENGE, yup, $100 for 2009!
Best regards, good traveling and shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 06:57:47 PM »
Wish I could Gabe, with the GAF muster the next weekend and the Filley Stone Barn the next one, I ain't gonna be able to, worst dang thing with bein' such a good cook is it kinda messes up my shootin' at times. ;D 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »
Ol Gabe,
 I am sorry that there seems to be a communitation problem here! i think what the C.S.C. are people like me that can't afford a higher priced Sharps! When I was shooting Skeet in the late 70's a friend of mine was Shooting a Custom Made Kreioff 4 barrel set, that he paid $80,000.00 for, I bought a New Browning 4 barrel set for $3500.00, no doubt in my mine which gun was made better! My friend was the World Champion Doubles Shooter 4 years in a row.
 But i think if he took my gun and sot it for a year, he would of broke as many targets?

Ol Gabe I ment no disrecard by belonging to the C.S.C., but I think that everyone that is in the group are pround of what they have, and are like me, cannot afford anything that cost more. If I would of had to pull out the cash to buy my IAB, I couldn't of done it but I had enough trading stock that I could afford to trade, so i ended up with my Dream gun A Sharps Buffalo Gun>

This is what I realy would like to have, but if the Doctor's are right, I won't do much shooting out of a wheel chair!

ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 12:23:15 AM »
Howdy!

Ol' Gabe, Ace has got it right.  We Brethren of the CBBRC aren't saying that our rifles are particularly better than any others - they prob'ly ain't!  It's just that we're proud to own whut we got, and we don't have to have the top-of-the-line Shiloh with Montana Precision sights to have fun!  We feel that while we may or may NOT shoot our rifles any better than more expensive versions, we can have as much fun!!!!!  (Gary, put your money away.  Don't want anybody takin' us too serious, ya know.)
 ;D
This brings me to my second part:
Ah'm not shore I'd be welcome in yer CBBRC club; but if'n y'u don't mind my askin, what are th rules?  an th price limit on BPCRs. Mine's a Pedersoli .45/70 frum Dixie Gun Werks, the MSRP waz $1,050.00 when ordered it. but I paid $1,000.00 fer it.

Cyrille, ol' pard - I don' know.  Iffn ya WANT to consider your rifle as one that belongs in the CBBRC, that's fine with me.  And Welcome to ya if ya do!  From what I hear, those Pedersolis don't have to hide their faces at competitions 'cause they are very nice guns.  Way I hear it, the traditional BPCR group may THINK that the Peders don't belong with their Shilohs or C.Sharps or Ballards or any of the fine custom Rollers, but some of the Peder shooters have been takin' some of the trophies from the "better than them" minded folk.  I sorta figure that when a guy passes on more than a grand to buy his big-bore, then he's crossed the line away from the CBBRC.  Since yours was right at a grand - well, yer welcome to come sit by the fire with us iffn ya want.  What the CBBRC means to me is (sorta paraphrasin' or storyin' here) kinda like when them serious guys fergit that some of us may not have as deep a pockets as them.  Mostly they don't want to have ME and like-minded "budget shooters" sit down with them!

This brings me to point 3:  Rules.

"There ain't no rules at a knife fight" - oh wait - that's whut Butch said to Harvey just as he planted about 4" of boot-leather right up his arse.

RULES AND CONDITIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP IN THE CBBRC

Rule #1 - There ain't NO rules; if you ain't havin' fun, you ain't doin' it right!

Our Motto: Cheapo guns CAN be fun!

Membership (Life, of course) is $10,000,000.00.  (That's 10 Million, fellers!)  If you can't meet that figure, then ... don't sweat the small stuff.  You can owe me.

Or not.  ;)

This is  "Virtual" club.  No numbers.  No rules.  No raggin' on ANYone's gun 'cause of the price!  (Which is WHY I brought this up in the FIRST place! 
 ;D

Oh, by the way: while there aren't many cheapo Rollers or Hi-Walls or any other type out there, this "club" welcomes ANY Big-Bore rifle that meets the criteria. 

Have a Nice Day!

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 07:26:58 AM »
so what do you guys think of the H&R trapdoor 1873 spring
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 08:44:29 AM »
Gee Ah don't know--- is it anything like a "slinky?" ;D ::)
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com