Author Topic: Cheap Sharps Club  (Read 151932 times)

Offline PickKimbel¶

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cheap Sharps Club
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2009, 01:27:10 PM »
Just caught the Shiloh rifle bug again when a pard that was just laid off from one of the newly 'bankrupt' companies here in Dallas.  :-\ Felt bad about taking his baby away from him there at the consignment counter of the local toy stores but I promised him that I'd take good care of her. It was a Sharps business rifle from Shiloh with the receiver having the French silver treatment(a truly a thing of beauty  :o ) and couldn't bring myself to haggle a pardner down in those circumstances since that Big Wagon Wheel In The Sky does come full circle when you do such things so I paid over the $1K limit for it so it doesn't count.

Being such a work of art, I won't take it through the brush and tangles there in the woods on our place in north Louisiana so I've got to get yet another Sharps for such duty. Since the ranges are ridiculously close in the north Louisiana thickets, a carbine is much more desirable which lead me to this one:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=12258

Which has a recent price reduction of $895~>$650. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this Pedersoli Confederate Sharps Carbine or of Pedersoli percussion carbines?

Thanks for the time to answer my question.

Respectfully

Pick Kimbel
To seek, to strive, to find, and not to yield.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 03:16:36 PM »
Pick, I wish I could help ya, pard.  Perhaps someone else will know sumthin'.

That sure is a handsome carbine you showed.

You should "qualfy" I paid $1,ooo.oo for mine , I believe that is the "cutoff"point.

Howdy, Cyrille!

As I am the originator of the "Cheapo Big-Bore Rifle Club," which seems to have morphed into being called the "Cheap Sharps Club" but, in fact can be ANY type of Big-Bore rifle, I never put a dollar amount as a limit.  Were I to have specified it would be $999.99.
 ;)

However, I won't quibble about a penny ... and $1,000 for a Shiloh ANYTHING is a BARGAIN!

If some pard buys any BB (Big-Bore, not a Daisy) rifle for any amount and wants to be part of this virtual club, then Welcome!  My whole reasoning is against those snobs out there who pooh-pooh all of us who can't afford a $3,000 Shiloh or C-Sharps or a 15 month wait.  I bet I have just as much FUN with mine as they do. 

;D

By the way ... I have now HEARD (but can't prove it) that there HAVE been shooters who have won some big matches using Armi Sport rifles (as sold by Taylors - like mine) and even as IAB or 2.  If that's true, then ...

Nyah-Nyah-Nyah!  How do ya like THEM apples!
 ;)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline GABulldog

• I believe it's more of a paddlin' sitcheeation.
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
Howdy All,

I been shooting my IAB. She ain't driving tacks yet, but I reckon I could hit a deer or two legged varmint.  Ain't had any real range time, just plinlkin'.  Anyone know if the new hammer on IABs in interchangeable with the older rifles?  I gotta admit it is awfully clunky, and I think it may even slow down locktime.  Also wondering if I need a whole new falling block.  Any answers would be helpful.  Ace, thats a good lookin new rifle,  'cept for that hammer.
"Tyrants fall in every foe, liberty's in every blow!" -Robert Burns

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 03:29:31 AM »

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 07:00:52 PM »
Pick Kimbel,

I have one of the 1859 Sharps Carbines.  One of the reasons I got it was because it doesn't have a patchbox.  Fun gun to shoot.  I am also learning about paper cartridges too.  Have not had a chance to really do some serious range work with it yet to find the best load for it. With a 75 grain load behind a 475 grain .54 bullet the recoil is suprisingly mild.  Have found the breechblock is quick to bind up from fouling.  Maybe this is me and I haven't found a solution yet.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline PickKimbel¶

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2009, 11:33:31 AM »
Pick Kimbel,

1. I have one of the 1859 Sharps Carbines.  <snip/>
2. With a 75 grain load behind a 475 grain .54 bullet the recoil is suprisingly mild.  <snip/>
3. Have found the breechblock is quick to bind up from fouling.  <snip/>

Ransom Gaer

1. Sounds like I need to get one too!  :D
2. Was that 2Fg and what brand? What kind of bullet were you using?
3. I'm not going to be fending off hordes of attackers with rapid fire so this isn't a deal breaker; I'll experiment and see what works for me.

Have you tried any of the black powder substitutes and, if so, how have they worked out? What kind of caps did you use with this?

Thanks for the time,

Pick
To seek, to strive, to find, and not to yield.

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2009, 12:59:14 PM »
Hi Gang
I have posted this on another spot but will ask here as well . I have a chance to get a Chaparral Sharps for the magic price $$ . I know it isn't a Shiloh or a Pedr..  but are they a decent little rifle ?

Heck ..it LOOKS like a Sharps and 'in the dark and if ya squint your eyes... ::) ::)

Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »
Hey, Dutchy!

For the right price, ANY gun can be fun!

I'm not sure who makes the Chaparral Sharps - it may be an IAB, but no matter.  The rifles say that they are made by Chaparral Firearms of Italy.  Find the right load that the rifle likes and shoot for fun.

Take care ...
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
Ok ...SOOO I tell the wife  that you said
'Go for it'  ;D ;D

You are right ,shootin is shootin    I have fun in the basement with the old  Daisy..

Save me a spot in the CSC :D
Enjoy

Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2009, 03:24:40 PM »
Ok ...SOOO I tell the wife  that you said
'Go for it'  ;D ;D

You are right ,shootin is shootin    I have fun in the basement with the old  Daisy..

Save me a spot in the CSC :D
Enjoy

Dutchy

By all means:  Go for it!

And feel free to tell her I said so;  I'm easy to blame!
 ;D

I sure wish I had my old Grandpa's Daisy ... When he died, what few firearms were there went to my Uncle's house.  Including my Dad's 22 RF bolt rifle and his Quakenbush 22 RF youth rifle.  After my cousins got old enough to shoot, they took charge of them.  When I asked about them, no one had any idea what had happened to them.  They must have grown legs and walked away.
 ::)

I'm bettin' they got traded for some wacky-terbackey.

:o :P :(

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »
It's a shame how many of the old guns have disappeared . Every once in a while one will show up in a strange spot . I was at a yard sale-flea market a few years back and there was the base of a table lamp made out of the wrist and lock area from an original English Martini Henry. Bought it for .75 cents , couldn't bear to see it end up thrown away. :'(

Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »
1. Sounds like I need to get one too!  :D
2. Was that 2Fg and what brand? What kind of bullet were you using?
3. I'm not going to be fending off hordes of attackers with rapid fire so this isn't a deal breaker; I'll experiment and see what works for me.

Have you tried any of the black powder substitutes and, if so, how have they worked out? What kind of caps did you use with this?

Thanks for the time,

Pick

I have not used any black powder substitutes in it.  As for the caps I use RWS 1081 Musket caps.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Knarley Bob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »
Howdy fellas,
I'm glad to fit in somewhere. Mr. Flintlock, good deal! I have an IAB sharps myself. It's not the one I bought, but a replacement. The first one was a salesman's demmo gun, It looked alot like yours, I think it was their rendition of the "Bussiness" rifle. Well I took it to the range to shoot it, Having NO idea of BP cartrages I bought a box of shells when I got the gun. After the first shot, I had to use a ramrod to get the brass out of the breech  :o  It was so rough that the brass would not come out. (luckily I am a muzzle loader and had a ramrod with). Sooooo, back to the gun shop we went. After he( The owner) couldn't extract the case he kept the rifle.
A few weeks later, I checked back and was given a "replacement". Opened up the box and woo-hoo ;D, there was one of their Deluxe modles. Octagon browned BBL, flip up sight, double set triggers real nice wood that was also checkered! Heck, the brass even comes out of this one!!
 I've done an action job on it, and lapped the barrel, the wife and I call it "Crazy Cora" and she shoots just fine. Can pound a gong @ 300 yards all day long.As soon as I find a range longer we will pound there too!! ;)
Yup, you'll enjoy yours, if'n not, I'll give her a good home.
Regards,
Knarley
Not on our watch

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2009, 07:14:49 AM »
Steel Horse,

Can I join the Cheap Big Bore club with my Browning 1885 High Wall?  I bought it new for $995, complete with sights.  I think that was my one "steal" of a lifetime.  She's a real tack driver, too.

Now if my wife performed as well, and looked as good................. ::)
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2009, 07:58:09 AM »
OOH , you are living on the edge... ;D

Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2009, 08:35:26 AM »
Steel Horse,

Can I join the Cheap Big Bore club with my Browning 1885 High Wall?  I bought it new for $995, complete with sights.  I think that was my one "steal" of a lifetime.  She's a real tack driver, too.

Now if my wife performed as well, and looked as good................. ::)

Howdy!

Looks like you got a DEAL!  A dang GOOD one!

OOH , you are living on the edge... ;D

Dutchy

Ain't THAT the truth!
 ;)

Knarley Bob, glad your deal worked out in your favor.  "Crazy Cora!"   ;D

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2009, 09:19:03 AM »
Yep, she's a sweetheart.  I got lucky and bought her just at the point Browning discontinued manufacture, and everyone was clearing them out.  I can GUAR-AN-TEE she's never leaving my hands!  Between her and my Marlin in 38-55 I'm giving up on all this newfangled crap.

If you can't blow smoke, what's the use?
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2009, 11:01:22 AM »
Steel Horse

OK , I did it . There is no way I was letting you guys have all the fun. My application to the CSC is enclosed..

I have a H&R Officers Model 45-70 trapdoor which cost me $800.00 AND I just purchased a Chaparrel Arms Sharps 45-70 for $1035.00

NOTE all prices are in Canadian funds so I'm under the magic number!

The next thing I aam going to do is completely destroy all evidence of this post ..cause my sweetie ahs no idea that I bought another gun.

But as before Steel Horse Bailey told me 'to go for it'

So sign me up.
Yer going to need a Secretary soon!!

TaDa

Dutchy...

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2009, 12:16:47 PM »
Congrats, Dutchy!

Now you get all the fun of load development for 2 rifles.  It don't get much better.

Isn't it amazing what we can convince ourselves to do and hide from the wives?  The thing is, this is an addition that I have no desire to give up!
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »
I know , it is like a great game . My wife is terrified of mice so I tell her my gun room in the basement is full of mice. Have a few traps set and all . Ever once in a while I snap a  trap ....keeps her away.

I guess I know she really is not that stupid , I guess she puts up with me and at least she always knows where I am . And when I speak of 'my girls' she knows it is one of the guns!!

Living the Dream

Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Glad ta have ya, Dutchy!

I'd LOVE to have one of those Trapdoor Carbines from H&R.
TaDa!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com