Author Topic: Cheap Sharps Club  (Read 151943 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cheap Sharps Club
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 03:19:22 AM »
Howdy Folks,

Thanks for all the advice/encouragement concerning IAB.  I hope mine is as dandy as everyone elses, though I'm still waitin' on her to ship from the shop it's at.  This is my first blackpowder cartridge gun.  I was gunning for a Marlin 1895 Cowboy, but the shop I ordered from messed up their website and didn't actually have the gun in stock.  So I did what any red-blooded Georgia boy would do, I gave in to my memory/fantasies about old Matt Quigley's famous rifle.  I bought the 32 inch Deluxe Sporter.  I hope it is a post block safety rifle, which I've heard are a pain.  Anyway, I am also looking for roundnose hardcast bullets as I intend to become a reloader as well.  I can't find the dang things online to save my life.  I can only find one or two weights here or there on midway.  Am I looking in the wrong spot or am I gonna have to start casting my own?  Any help there would be appreciated as well.  Thanks again to all you "Cheap Sharps" brothers. :)

Howdy, G(eorgia) Bulldog!

I can't advise ya much on casting.  I cast my own BigLube boolits for my 45 Colt pistols/rifles, but while I have tried to cast (a Postell 535 gr.) for my 45-70 Sharps (Budget model  ;) ) I haven't had much luck with it. Yet.  Casting these BIG bullets is waaaay harder than the smaller boolits and requires a longer "learning curve."  IMHO.  (Yer mileage may vary)

However, loading BP rounds for any BP cartridge is pretty simple, as far as the basics.  Fill the case full of powder (your favorite brand; 2F Goex being probably the most common) so that when you seat the bullet, you compress the powder 1/8" to 1/4" with a wad between the bullet and powder.  Generally - depending on the powder used and the granulation you choose - you'll probably get between 58-63 grs. of powder.  It is a volume thing: don't worry about the weight much, just make sure the case is full with NO airspace between the powder and bullet.  Most loaders are using regular large rifle powders, but some recommend magnum primers and now there is a growing number of BPCR shooters who advocate using large PISTOL primers.  The REAL key is finding the load that YOUR rifle likes best.  One other VERY important thing about loading/shooting BP: Ya gotta use LOTS of lube - you can't hardly use too much!

Have fun!

There is a LOT of useful information about BP loading on the Darksider's Den and its' child board, the Dark Arts. 

Keep yer powder dry !

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 06:08:46 AM »
All items needed to load your own you can find at:  http://www.buffaloarms.com  ..  they are good folks and will treat you right.
French Jack

Offline GABulldog

• I believe it's more of a paddlin' sitcheeation.
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2008, 03:58:05 PM »
Thanks again to all y'all fine folk, I am further down the path to enlightenment.  My IAB shipped today, so hopefully the Mrs. can pick it up in a few days.  I was reading around, and have now considered the possibility of going paper patched.  I hear it is what these guns were designed for so they are what is best.  Also I hear there is no better hunting bullet than a ppb.  Are there any special considerations such as press type/die type?  If this is the route to go I would like to know so I don't spend money on things I don't need.  I know part of the fun is experimentation, but the wife probably would like it if I kept the price down on my science project known as reloading.  Also I ordered some bulk ammo and I have no idea what kind of brass it will have.  Should I buy new winchester or starline and not even risk the stuff I have ordered after it is shot?  All y'alls help is greatly appreciated, as I have spent the last four years (career wise)with a peashooter with a one in seven twist.  Three round burst is cool, but I need to get away from these derned black rifles throwing 60 grain B.B.s.
"Tyrants fall in every foe, liberty's in every blow!" -Robert Burns

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:46:13 AM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2008, 04:25:33 PM »
I'ld counsel you to just start into this gently :) Learn the basics of bp reloading and shooting grease groove bullets before trying to move on to paper patch. If you're trying to do this on the cheap paper patchin ain't the way to go, paper patch molds (blocks only ) start at 115$ and go up  :o
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline GABulldog

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2008, 08:15:07 PM »
I reckoned I would buy pre-patched bullets.  I will likely start with lubed grooved bullets first though anyway, just to get a feel for pressing and such. 

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »
I reckoned I would buy pre-patched bullets.  I will likely start with lubed grooved bullets first though anyway, just to get a feel for pressing and such. 

Last I looked those prepatched were over 50 cents  each. ::)
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Buckeye Chuck

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »
I just recently bought an Armi Sport 1859 Sharps Carbine (used) in great to next to new shape. It orginally came from Taylors. I saw on Taylors and Armi sports web sites that they have brass tubes that act as cartridges from them. So I bought a pack from Taylors but when trying them out the tubes don't go all the way into the chamber. The one I tried sticks out of the chamber 7/16" into the block area. Could the floating chamber be in backwards?  :o Has anyone else have any experience with these that could help me.
Thanks
Buckeye Chuck

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2008, 03:58:58 PM »
I did get out the other night and shot my cheap Sharps! I shoot at a friend of mines range and I don't shoot there unless he is there, because he has a lead sled, and that thing is a back saver with those 500gr bullets. The shooting conditions we terriable, just about dark, sun shining in from the left side, could not harly see threw the sites, shot 10- 385gr bullets and 10- 500gr, shot them at 100 yards, and put all 20 in a 4" cicrle, pretty crappy shooting, but I can blame it on the sun! Not a bery good reason!1
 I worked on making my own sled today, and I hope to get my brother to finish it tomorrow! If so, i can go to our range and realy try to see if the cheapy will shoot!! Whit my load, I am using, 58gr of German FFG, 60thfiber wad and 25th card board, with light powder compresson. I used the same load with both bullets! The 385 shot a little higher than the 500gr! I can't tell you if the cheap Sharps will be a tac driver, but I think with more shooting, and I might have to glass bed the forarm, it will be not half bad! My barrel mics 457, and I use a 459 sizing die, and all it does is lube them! We are expecting snow tomorrow, but maybe a warm up the last of the week, and if I get the sled done, I will get some shooting in, during daylight and might get some better resullts! Won't know how to shoot with light to see the target!
Later ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »
Just got through reading all 5 pages of this post and have enjoyed it immensely. I do have some news that might be of interest and that is that IAB has won many matches already. I met a young man who works for Lee Shaver out of Lamar, MO and mentioned that I was looking for an IAB Sharps and how so many BPCR shooters seem to look down on it. His reply was that Lee (who has won many a match) uses an IAB-based rifle. I assume that means the receiver is about all that is still IAB and even it has probably seen extensive reworking but it is an IAB none-the-less, technically speakin' of course. I love it when snooty folks is found with egg on their face.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 08:02:31 PM »
Just got through reading all 5 pages of this post and have enjoyed it immensely. I do have some news that might be of interest and that is that IAB has won many matches already. I met a young man who works for Lee Shaver out of Lamar, MO and mentioned that I was looking for an IAB Sharps and how so many BPCR shooters seem to look down on it. His reply was that Lee (who has won many a match) uses an IAB-based rifle. I assume that means the receiver is about all that is still IAB and even it has probably seen extensive reworking but it is an IAB none-the-less, technically speakin' of course. I love it when snooty folks is found with egg on their face.

Right on, Lee Shaver!

I put his budget model sights on my budget model rifle and I love 'em!

Ya made my day, Gripmaker!!!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline GABulldog

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 09:00:56 PM »
Hey boys I just got my IAB!  I am excited as heck to shoot her, but we have had a bit of foul weather.  I have a decent little rear sight on it, and will be looking for a front globe.  Anyone got any cheap suggestions?  I will post more info once I have put some hot lead down range. 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2008, 10:05:18 AM »
Lyman model 17 front globe.  A classic and still goin like the bunny.  Fits a 3/8th dovetail.  Three heights,  I'd say get the lowest one.  Comes with a pack of steel inserts.  MVA inserts can be obtained in a greater choice of patterns.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »
And there ya have it, folks.

Offline Glenn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 02:39:16 PM »
I got my Sharps Borchardt Hunters Rifle with a 36" octagon, rotten stock and rough barrel for $75.  It has been bored to .50 and restocked in original style. 
I guess I should mention, I got it in 1968.  It's still one of my favorite guns and lots of fun to shoot.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2008, 08:00:36 AM »
Glenn,
Just curious, what company name is on the rifle and did you track down the serial number as it might have some interesting history behind it.
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
 :)Howdy Pards, You all are not going to believe this, but here 3 weeks ago I decided to sell or trade my Master Caster, because I wasn't going to be able to use it like it was designed to be used! So I took in on trade another IAB Sharps that was imported by EMF, it looks almost identical to my Tri Star IAB, other than the barrel is matte finish, except it says Gardone VT made in Italy. It has to be the same rifle, has that dumb saftey on it. And I havn't been out to shoot it, because it hasn't been above 20 degrees since I got it! The gentleman that I got it from, told me it would knock down chickens all day long off hand! It has a decent creedmore site, other than  the windage adjustment is pretty funky! Instead of having the adjusment screw as a one peice unit, it is a 2 screw adjustment!! It is okay, just have to get used to it! And if I keep it, I will have to change the eye cup! the hole in the eye cup is big enough to use in the dark :o :o
 I am just wanting to see if it shoots better than my new one! I can't see owning to of the same guns in the same caliber? But I don't want to rebarrel it, unless i just find a bargin barrel. I looks like at least another week before i can go shoot!
Later
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 05:08:14 PM »
Looks good, Ace!

Your IAB is a fair bit different than my Taylors Armi Sport.  Yours is browned and my forearm has the small flair downward at the front.  Your wood is checkered, too - not mine.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 06:46:44 PM »
Jeff, My 74 has the beavertail forearm and the barrel is deep blue. I didn't even notice they weren't the same model untill TW pointed out how much bigger the hammer was on this new to me IAB called a 1866. So much to learn so little time to learn it in!
later ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Cole Younger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2009, 09:39:07 PM »
Don't know if I qualify or not.  Here's my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Business Rifle.  I paid $650 for it used.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2009, 06:39:33 AM »
You should "qualfy" I paid $1,ooo.oo for mine , I believe that is the "cutoff"point.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com