Author Topic: Cheap Sharps Club  (Read 151910 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cheap Sharps Club
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »
Havn't had the chance to see one in person, so I don't have any references for you But since it is a Trapdoor and that is classed as a rifle designed by our for fathers, your in the club if you want!!
 I went on Gun Broker the other night, and since I have to sell my Harley, there was a guy that had a custom made Sharps engraved all over Gold Buffalo's on it, AAA plus wood and checking, asking $3600.00 , I told about my Harley and how much I was asking, and I told him I wood allow him his $3600.00 in on trade, his reply was it wasn't his gun, but if it was he would do it! (Nice way to answer without hurting my feeling!)

Later
ACE
CBBRC Member
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »
Gee Ah don't know--- is it anything like a "slinky?" ;D ::)
SO WHAT THE H---- IS A SLINKY GUN
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »
I think he was pulling your chain, he just meant a slinny toy. Take no offense to this, pecause the HR, break open action was never a design in the 1800's it isn't fair well with the Cowboy Shooters! I am sure they are fine rifles!  There are a lot of people who had bad exexperence with the Old IAB Sharps or new someone that did, that you mention you own a IAB, they turn there nose up! The Tompson Center Contender copy a lot of H&R's mecs., but i don't like them !!
It is to each is own! i don't have $2000.00 for a C Sharps or a Shiloh Sharps!

Hope you find what you want!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:01:50 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 03:10:30 AM »
Howdy!

Buff, Ace nailed it.  The H&R is similar to an old design, but not a copy or a repro.

That said, it IS a Big-Bore rifle and I'll bet there are a lot of snooty shooters who wouldn't pay attention to anyone with an H&R, and they are priced very reasonably, so ...

Have fun!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 06:59:30 AM »
THANKS for your response
im now concedering a trap door by H&R
Thomas Jefferson
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »
so what do you guys think of the H&R trapdoor 1873 spring

Hey man I was funinn, Didn't you see the smileys? You ended your question with the word "spring" I know what you meant by that but I took the literal meaning of the word "spring" and made a "pun"  Didn' mean to offend you. :'(
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Buffalow Red

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 06:26:39 PM »
OK WERE ALL COOL, my mistake, thanks for your responces, when you dont know or are new to a different part of this game its nice to get youall's ideas
Thomas Jefferson
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 05:34:15 AM »
How about this?  HALF a Pedersoli for less than $1,000!

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=14470&osCsid=2d5e6ddfa15a6827de35bdd37d3490f7

Not much of a bargain that I can see - 'tho I'm not sure what a barrel would cost. 
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
How about this?  And then there is the fitting, finishing, & mounting sights!

http://www.badgerbarrelsinc.com/custombarrels.htm?76,12
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 01:38:17 PM »
Once you shoot a Badger barrel, you don't spend any more time whinin about the price. ;D
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Col. Cornelius Gilliam

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 05:36:09 PM »
Howdy,

I picked up a used IAB Sharps carbine a few years ago for under $425.  A fun little gun for the price.  I only shoot black powder through it, using the Lyman 385gr RN bullet thats a copy of the Govt. carbine bullet.

Two problems with it though:

1.  The barrel mikes out around 0.454" diameter - not super accurate with the typical 0.458" diameter lead bullets, but OK.

2.  It shot very high (18") at 50 yards (like every other 45-70 single shot carbine I have tried).  I corrected this by installing a higher brass blade front sight.

The 45-70 single shot carbines are fun to shoot with black powder!!

Offline boot strap jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »
We may need to modify the price range for the CSRC. Just seen a tristar listed for $1050.00 on GB. That would put the older pedersoli's in the club.
BSJ

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »
We may need to modify the price range for the CSRC. Just seen a tristar listed for $1050.00 on GB. That would put the older pedersoli's in the club.
BSJ

I see your point, but let's keep it under a grand for now.  I don't know if older Pedersolis are any better or worse than the current models, but ... as long as the Fed keeps DE-valuing the dollar to cater to the billionaire crowd er, ... Europe in the name of Free Trade, the comparative values will move around.  Pretty soon, the Dollar won't be worth $.50 ... oh, wait - that's about where it is now.  ::)  On a good day.

My Sharps repro, one of the Armi Sport models sold by Taylor's, is now over that magical $1000 limit, too.  I'm not familiar with any guns imported by Tristar, but I don't think they're from P'soli - at least not now.  They're listed on their website at $969 (as of Sep. '08) but they don't mention who actually manufactures their repro Sharps. 

Offline GABulldog

• I believe it's more of a paddlin' sitcheeation.
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 05:37:38 PM »
Howdy All!

I just bought a Tristar which is manufactured by I.A.B  I got mine for about $730 with shipping.  I hope it is all it's cracked up to be, as this will be my meat/"not on my land", gun for a while.  I am currently oversees, but my new girl should be waiting for me with my old(er) girl when I get home.  Anyone who has one of the '74 deluxe sporters I would love to hear how she shoots, oh and whether these guns can be shot smokeless.
"Tyrants fall in every foe, liberty's in every blow!" -Robert Burns

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »
 :)I hope to give you a answer tomorrow night, or Tuesday night, I have oqned mine for over a month and just now got all set up to go to the range and se what she does, I am sure it will shoot better than I can!
You all have a good one!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 06:49:14 AM »
 :)Howdy Pards,
 Well although I own a cheap sharps it has a mighty  fine barrel, the trigger group is excellent, I wouldn't recommend Tristar Creedmoore sites, i don't think they have a problem with being accurate, it's that i had to send in my first set back, they weren't made right, and I allready had problems with the long range tang, I belive I can fix it, but a person shouldn't have to work on a New site ::)
 With everything to take in perspective, I am not dis pleased one bit! For my self, I won't  be trading it off for a different brand, the rifle shoots better than I can shoot it! I still have many thing to learn about this type of shooting, and know it will take a long time! It is fun to see the fire and smoke from real Black Powder, it does take a little time to clean for a beginner, but all in all, if you want a fun rifle to shoot in the Sharps design, There isn't anything wrong with a IAB for the money! :)

I hope that I havn't bored you all to death with my commints, yes i would like to handle one of the Higher priced Sharps, but I didn't say I would buy one, for the differnce in money I can go buy 2 or 3 more guns!

Later ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Alabama

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 07:58:45 AM »
Just like one of you Wise ( wise-acre ) men quoted on one of these threads I read recently , " as soon as someone wins with an IAB then they will become the rage to owne too " .
Sage words there !
Pedersoli never won anything till they won something , right .  ;D
Just because you owne a Shilo don't mean you can hit the broadside of the barn with it . Not that I wouldn't want one or owne one myself , just cannot afford it though , currently . Beauty doesn't win target shooting , practice does . Most Shilo owners think Pedersoli is crap , compaired . Pedersoli owners think IAB is crap , compaired . Pretty soon when IAB wins something , IAB owners will know they are all good rifles . Too bad it won't work the other way around ? But that's just people  ;D
I owne none of them by the way , but watching this board tells me there is allot of rivalry with brands , and allot of people whom think thier %**%$ don't stink because they owne a Shilo or better . Just my observation is all . Typical for the human race there .
It is the old arrogance of " My Sig .45 will outshoot your Colt .45 any day of the week " ..... Blah blah blah .
Is Sig nicer ? Yes . Will it outshoot your Colt ? Not likely . Is the owner of a Shilo or better a better shot ? No . There you go .
Are they made better ? Yes. Can you win with an IAB ? Yes . End of story .
If I do get one , it most likely won't be a Shilo or better . It may not even be Pedersoli !!!!! I love the CROW that will be eatin as soon as IAB wins . But you won't hear anyone with real nice guns giving congrats , you'll hear how they were just having a bad day
and that's how IAB won . That is exactly what happened when Pedersoli won too , first time . I guess Shilo and better have had allot of bad days out recently !!!! Soon as IAB wins , they are really going to have some bad days out , because allot of poor people will be kickin your a$$ too . JMHO which aint so humble, its truth .  ;D I like people whom want nice guns because they are nice guns , not because they have a name attatched to it . Your gun aint a Buffalo gun unless you have killed Buffalo either .
I am sure i will become part of the Cheap Sharps Club if I do buy one soon though  ;D

Alabama

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 02:42:02 PM »
Just like one of you Wise ( wise-acre ) men quoted on one of these threads I read recently , " as soon as someone wins with an IAB then they will become the rage to owne too " .
Sage words there !
Pedersoli never won anything till they won something , right .  ;D
Just because you owne a Shilo don't mean you can hit the broadside of the barn with it . Not that I wouldn't want one or owne one myself , just cannot afford it though , currently . Beauty doesn't win target shooting , practice does . Most Shilo owners think Pedersoli is crap , compaired . Pedersoli owners think IAB is crap , compaired . Pretty soon when IAB wins something , IAB owners will know they are all good rifles . Too bad it won't work the other way around ? But that's just people  ;D
I owne none of them by the way , but watching this board tells me there is allot of rivalry with brands , and allot of people whom think thier %**%$ don't stink because they owne a Shilo or better . Just my observation is all . Typical for the human race there .
It is the old arrogance of " My Sig .45 will outshoot your Colt .45 any day of the week " ..... Blah blah blah .
Is Sig nicer ? Yes . Will it outshoot your Colt ? Not likely . Is the owner of a Shilo or better a better shot ? No . There you go .
Are they made better ? Yes. Can you win with an IAB ? Yes . End of story .
If I do get one , it most likely won't be a Shilo or better . It may not even be Pedersoli !!!!! I love the CROW that will be eatin as soon as IAB wins . But you won't hear anyone with real nice guns giving congrats , you'll hear how they were just having a bad day
and that's how IAB won . That is exactly what happened when Pedersoli won too , first time . I guess Shilo and better have had allot of bad days out recently !!!! Soon as IAB wins , they are really going to have some bad days out , because allot of poor people will be kickin your a$$ too . JMHO which aint so humble, its truth .  ;D I like people whom want nice guns because they are nice guns , not because they have a name attatched to it . Your gun aint a Buffalo gun unless you have killed Buffalo either .
I am sure i will become part of the Cheap Sharps Club if I do buy one soon though  ;D

Alabama

Well said Alabama

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
[/size][/size][/size][/color][/b]

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline GABulldog

• I believe it's more of a paddlin' sitcheeation.
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 05:25:59 PM »
Howdy Folks,

Thanks for all the advice/encouragement concerning IAB.  I hope mine is as dandy as everyone elses, though I'm still waitin' on her to ship from the shop it's at.  This is my first blackpowder cartridge gun.  I was gunning for a Marlin 1895 Cowboy, but the shop I ordered from messed up their website and didn't actually have the gun in stock.  So I did what any red-blooded Georgia boy would do, I gave in to my memory/fantasies about old Matt Quigley's famous rifle.  I bought the 32 inch Deluxe Sporter.  I hope it is a post block safety rifle, which I've heard are a pain.  Anyway, I am also looking for roundnose hardcast bullets as I intend to become a reloader as well.  I can't find the dang things online to save my life.  I can only find one or two weights here or there on midway.  Am I looking in the wrong spot or am I gonna have to start casting my own?  Any help there would be appreciated as well.  Thanks again to all you "Cheap Sharps" brothers. :)
"Tyrants fall in every foe, liberty's in every blow!" -Robert Burns

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com