Author Topic: Best Colt Clone  (Read 10805 times)

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Best Colt Clone
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:30:23 AM »
Hi,

I am new to the game and was wondering what is the best clone SAA. I can get an EMF Hartford Deluxe (Armi San Marco 1996), or Uberti Cattlemen all steel (1997), both NIB. The EMF seems to be the best fit and feel and cloest to the Colt Peacemaker Centenial (1973)

I have a Great Western from the 1958 (44 Special with a 44-40 cylinder). In my opinion it is not that accurate in 44-40, 44 Special it is a lot better.

What is the opinion of shooters who have used these in competition? What would be a fair price for the EMF and Uberti?

Thanks,

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best Colt Clone
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
Lots of discussions on this here in the forum.

My Uberti is a Cimarron.  Got it from Buffalo Arms.  Replaced the springs and am good to go.

Believe you'll find recommendations for both Uberti & Pietta; Pietta has been reported to improved quality greatly vs. years ago.  Don't know if that includes '97 or not.  Cimarron is still keeping patent dates on the frames; been reported that EMF is not.

You'll also find many positives on Rugers and if price is no object, certainly USFA.

I wanted an old model frame and that helped narrow the field.  I got exactly what I wanted and am very pleased.

BP

I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:11:43 PM »
In my personal opinion  the Great Western 2 is currently the BEST Colt clone you can get. I am not alone in that opinion. Capt Geo. Baylor did a 2 page review in the latest Chronicle and there have been several reviews in recent gun magazines that also state the fact.

They all say the GW is match ready to go right outta the box. And I have 7 GW's and have to agree... Looks are first rate.

but that is just my 2 cents.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:13:13 PM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:12:06 PM »

:D ;D :o 8) What Curley Cole said, ditto for me.  :D ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »
My first CAS revolver was a used EMF ASM.  It has served me very well.  Since then, I have bought only Uberti products sold under different badges: EMF/Beretta/Stoeger.  I love 'em.

Match ready out of the box...  Now, that's something that confuses a bunch of newcomers (it sure did me).  I guess it all depends on what your skills and goals are.  If you are just looking to have a fun time, virtually any gun will be an "out of the box / match ready" shooter.  The only mods that I have had done was an action job on the ASM because "everyone else did it".  I haven't felt the need to do it again.

Whichever you pick, you'll enjoy them!
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:00:57 AM »
It depends on what you want.  I wanted cheap and bought a used Beretta Stampede.  It is a great revolver and had been tuned.  When I wanted a second revolver I bought another.  Put a lighter main spring and it is nearly as sweet as the tuned one!

Do you want a special finish?  Do you want [Dyw] a black powder frame? Dyw a transfer bar of hammer mounted firing pin?  Dyw Bisley grip frame?  These thing may influence your eventual choice.  You need to decide what features you want and then find a brand that can fill the bill.  Many of the suppliers provide Uberti.  Others supply Peitta.  You will find strong adherents for both.  They will all [almost] shoot better without any modification as you can unless you are already a top class shooter. 

I'm a shooter that is in CAS for fun with long time pards.  We've been doing buckskinning, historical reenactment and CAS together for nearly 30 years.  Used to be a top class rifle shooter 35 years ago.  Know what it takes to get proficient enough to be at the top and have NO desire to work that hard.  I try to improve with occasional dry firing and shoot only at shoots.  Took third in my class [out of 5] at the NCOWS Nationals in June. ;D  One of the better shooters stayed home and one shot video.  My good fortune.

Decide what you want and then forge ahead and get it!!  Good hunting. ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 01:36:44 AM »
I just reread your original post, and I didn't really answer the question. Usually I am better at reading the question than that.

As for the 2 guns you mentioned I think it would be a tossup as to which one to get. The ASM weren't the best EMF guns and in the late 90's I don't think the compition of making a out of the box gun had started up. Which one looks best and feels best in your hand...which action seems the smoothest..

Go with what feels good and right at the time...

Or go out and buy a new gun...heheheheh

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 07:32:46 AM »
Thanks Curley,

The ASM's listed for around $500 - $600, and the Ubert's around $400 - $500, per EMF and Navy Arms Catalog.  (1997). Did anyone  ever pay list price, or were they discounted.  Both Guns are NIB never been Fired.  What  would be a Fair price for both me and the seller? 

I see and old post from SASS foram about ASM

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:19:04 -0800
Subject: New EMF "Model 92" rifle

Howdy to the Camp

Just received a NEW (Armi San Marco) EMF model 92 rifle, "two digit" serial number, specs as follows:

Octagon barrel, 24" long.
Cresent butt, case colored.
.45 Colt caliber.
Case colored lever,  Hammer, and forearm cap.
Real nice straight grained walnut looking wood.
Tang drilled & tapped for peep sight.
NO ugly safety of any kind...
Fit and finish looks real good, action feels better than a stock Rossi
or Browning 92...I like it...

First come first served, sale priced at $599.00

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:51:17 AM »
Howdy
You can get the standard Great Western 2 (that is with the factory CCH, but other wise fit and finish is great) NIB from EMF for about $500. If you are willing to get one of the "dent/dings" you can save 10-12% I have a couple of d/d's and you have to look to find the dents..actions are perfect. Give Debbie or Buffalo Sam at EMF 1800-261-6611 and see what they can do for you. And I would take any thing they had listed at EMF. I assure you that you will be happy with the product, and the customer service is second to none..

HarTrigger is a good guy, I have shot with him, and trust his deals, If you like that offering, check it out. but also check with EMF on what they have, I see in the catalog that they have 92's as low as 470 and again if you don't mind the dent and ding, you can get a cool price. I got several from them..

good shooting
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 07:11:55 AM »
Thanks Curley.

I am going to call Debbie.  The guy who has the guns forsale showed me catalogs when he purchased them, and said make an offer. He said why EMF stoped dealing with ASM that it was that they were bought out by AWA, who is now the sole importer of there products, not the quality.

RJS

Offline Kidd Krystin

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »
Russ,

Har Trigger is definitely a good guy, but the email address listed for him might be out of date.  He's a shooting buddy of mine and the address I have for him is hartrigger @gmail.com.

Kidd Krystin

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 03:00:19 PM »
Russ,

Har Trigger is definitely a good guy, but the email address listed for him might be out of date.  He's a shooting buddy of mine and the address I have for him is hartrigger @gmail.com.

Kidd Krystin

Thanks ffor info. The quote was from 1998 about ASM guns.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com