Author Topic: Load on Sunday, shoot all week (with a more authentic cartridge)  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
As every Henry lover knows, modern reproductions take huge license when they chamber the Henry for .45 Colt.   A short cartridge is a lot closer to the original IF ya can make em feed reliably.

In the last couple of years, we've received many inquiries about making a carrier available so the Henry could be shot with cowboy .45 Special (and if ya have a rare .44 special chambering, .44 Russian).

Well we did just that.  We now have a proper "Cowboy Carrier" with a robust and reliable mechanical cartridge stop built into it that allows the use of the short rounds in the Henry reproductions.
www.cowboy45special.com has all the info ya need.  (We've got Henry carriers in stock at this time),.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline MMA10mm

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Load on Sunday, shoot all week (with a more authentic cartridge)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:33:42 PM »
I got my carrier, but I ain't got a rifle to put it in yet!  :-\ 

The carrier is beautiful, and the little ingenious design change seems perfect for keeping things simple. 

In my e-mail correspondence with Adirondack, he suggested measuring your loaded 44 Henry CFs (44 Russians) and matching up the OAL to the carrier's spring-loaded stop.  My 44 Henry CFs (44 Russians) are loaded with 210gr MAVDutchman (predecessor of the Big-Lube boolits) RNFP bullets (more flat-nosed than most original Henry cartridges I've seen, but at least the powder charge and bullet weight are right on the money!) are about .020" too long for the 45 Cowboy location of the stop.  The simple fix Adirondack suggested was taking the new stop out of the carrier, carefully stoning .020" (or so) off, and then reassembling and checking function.  Looks and sounds easy, but I'm waiting to see how the carrier fits the rifle and ammo first, before I start taking off metal.

If anyone knows of a 44 Special 1866 Carbine or Short Rifle/Border Special out there in used shape available for sale, PLEASE let me know, pards!! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com